UKC

NEWS: The Hard Rock Challenge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 22 Mar 2007
This summer, two climbers, Rich Mayfield and Mark Stevenson, supported by Rich's wife Sam Mayfield (of Orange House fame) will attempt to climb every 'Hard Rock' route in 5 weeks as the ultimate Hard Rock Challenge.

Full report at the news page of UKClimbing.com http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 S Andrew 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

How they going to do Deer Bield Buttress?
 Paz 22 Mar 2007

Are you offering Odds?

Instead off asking for donations, why don't you take bets?
Slugain Howff 22 Mar 2007

Minor point - but the references on the website all seem to be for the English and Welsh MRT association. I know from speaking to Sam that the intention is to fund raise for the MRC of S also.
 philipivan 22 Mar 2007

Mick, there is a broken link in the news section to the website.

Guys, good luck, I was chatting to Sam and Rich about this last month, it sounds like a massive undertaking. Rich, you tried to tell us you were unfit when we talked to you last, you should be pretty fit by the time you've done all this!

Phil
 philipivan 22 Mar 2007

PPS If anyone is looking for more info there still seems to be more on the blogspot currently as the other site is under construction.

http://www.hardrockchallenge.blogspot.com/
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Irton Pike:

Spoke to Ken and he said to do Totalitarian instead.

Sam
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

I would have loved or someone could still come forward to do a "money per climb" thing, so a bit like when we did sponsored stuff at school.

Yep the web is still in the early stages but more work going on as we speak.

Sam
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Irton Pike:

Forgot to say congrats, I did wonder who would be the first to ask the question!

1 Minute good going!

Sam
OP Michael Ryan 22 Mar 2007
In reply to newkid:

fixed. Thanks.
 The Bantam 22 Mar 2007

Wow - will the guy luck. That'll be an incredible achievement.
Sam M 22 Mar 2007

Thanks Mick for the news item..

Can you make the link work in the news item to the blog please chuck.

http://www.hardrockchallenge.blogspot.com

Also I will starting a wish list very soon so watch this space.

Sam Orange
OP Michael Ryan 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

fixed.....slip of the wrist.
 Paz 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

That's not what I had in mind, but yes it would be nice.

I thought there's now an E2/3/XS off width where Dier Bield Buttress once stood. Whether you've got the official say so from the man or not, clearly that is the new challenge.

Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

Can someone confirm this please and what did you have in mind a proper gamble?

Sam
 Paul Atkinson 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M: Have you built in or thought about a carbon neutrality component? Just a thought, not a criticism. Good luck

cheers, P
 The Bantam 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

I suspect they'll be 'fertalizing' a lot of foliage during the journey.
 stuartf 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

October 2005 UKC news item. Associated thread here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=151291
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Paul excuse my ignorance but what do you mean?

Sam
 Paul Atkinson 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paul Atkinson: ps IS just an idea - I'm not 100% convinced by the whole concept but there does seem a good bit of sense in it IMHO
 Paz 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=10&year=2005

It's Deer Bield Crack, not Deer Bield buttress, my mistake. On grounds of line it's still clearly by far and away the obvious challenge in my opinion...

Anyway yeah, you should get to lay a bet on how many they do, on whether they do them all or not.
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

We agree but how do you organise a gamble like that?

Sam
shaggyleo 22 Mar 2007

It's a stunt and it sickens me and i have a deep mistrust in those raising money for charity.......sound like anyone in particular?

But honestly, best of luck to you both and the support team, though you shouldn't need it.... except friday the 13th at chedder gorge.....joke!

Very worthy choice of charity.
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to shaggyleo:

Thanks and I did worry abit after what was said on the other thread :0(

Friday the 13th is a great day! Rich and I got married on Friday the 13th..

Someone needs to have a word in the shell like of the Scottish Guys though as we don´t have a way to allow the donations yet!!!

Sam Orange
 Paz 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

betfair? I'm just saying I bet they won't do them all.
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

Ok put your money where you mouth is and say how many and promise an amount per climb!

Sam
 Paz 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

It don't work like that. I'm betting that they won't do them all, so I'd have to coff up per route they don't do which doesn't really encourage them, apart from maybe to try and scam me by skipping one.

Using betfair I (or you) could give odds and take bets off other people who disagreed with me and thought they'd do at least or exactly X number of routes. However I don't have the capital to cover other people's winnings, and presumably they don't allow you to bet on amateur unregulated events no more than they'd allow you to bet on a kids egg and spoon race, but that wouldn't stop you from setting your own version up.

In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to shaggyleo)
>
> Thanks and I did worry abit after what was said on the other thread :0(
>

>
> Someone needs to have a word in the shell like of the Scottish Guys though as we don´t have a way to allow the donations yet!!!
>
> Sam Orange

I thought you had sorted that one out although I see the website has no references to the MRC of S. I could give a nudge if required.
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

You confused me now, but thats not ard!! :0)

Didn´t know what betfair is! will have to talk to Mark about it he is the brains behind this thing.

As for skipping a route the whole thing is been filmed and photographed.. so no hiding!

Sam
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Slugain Howff:

We are not aloud to show the logo until we have written permission!

and then we need someone to do a page for them same as the England Wales one.

I am waiting to hear from Alfie, can you help?

Sam O
In reply to Sam M:

I'll chase him up!!
 Paz 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

I just don't think you've got enough time. OK there's a few jackpot crags like Cloggy and the peak but you've got to do two routes a day probably, including multipitch jobs, aid extravanganza's, long approaches, Shibboleth out of condition, etc.

I'm not sure I meant to make a donation i.e. money only for doing the lot, because there's nothing to win in the case of a bet (although the glory of being right is the important thing).

Nothing personal, I'm with the guy who's always a tad suspicious about people doing these things for Charity.
Sam M 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

On some days the guys will be climbing way more than 2 routes a day!

So instead of raising money for charity the guys should do it for fun?

Sam
 Paz 22 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

That's why I'd do it. Plus the fulfillment of a lifetime ambition, and the chance to get your name on Steven Reid's website.
Sam M 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:

Thats just what the boys are doing!

They are not "doing it for charity" they are just raising some money for our mates in the MR teams at the same time.

Sam
shaggyleo 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

Just do it, have the time of your lives and raise some money along the way....perfect.

Ignore those who always want to knock guys who get off their arses and actively raise money for worthy charities.
 Phil1919 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M: What he meant by carbonneutralapproach isthat racing around in cars doing charity events is falling out of fashion as it is a selfish use of resources. He was wondering how you might keep your polution trail down to a minimum.
Sam M 23 Mar 2007
In reply to shaggyleo:

Thanks shaggyleo,

I just don´t understand the negativity sometimes and it really makes you think "why bother?"

Sam

Sam M 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Deek:

Don´t really know apart from maybe having the motorhome converted to LPG but don´t really know much about that, can you find it at all petrol stations, even the ones way up North in Scotland!

Any suggestions?

Sam
 220bpm 23 Mar 2007

I think it's a great challenge, loaded with difficulty but not unachievable if a little luck is on their side. Best of luck to the team!
Will definately be keeping up to date on things via the blogspot.
TimS 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Paz:
> (In reply to Sam M)
>
> I just don't think you've got enough time. OK there's a few jackpot crags like Cloggy and the peak but you've got to do two routes a day probably, including multipitch jobs, aid extravanganza's, long approaches, Shibboleth out of condition, etc.
>

It summer, so long days. I reckon you can sort out the peak grit one day, and at a push the peak slime routes in the same day. Then there's the three yorkshire routes which you can do in a day (as long as you didn't mess up the aiding at Kilnsey, which should be a clip up with the new bolts through the roof). That reduces your total from 60 to 49 in only two days climbing.
 climbingpixie 23 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:

What a great way to spend the summer. Best of luck to the pair of them. Have you started making sacrifices to the British weather gods yet?
TimS 23 Mar 2007
In reply to TimS: Forgot to ad best of luck to the team, an amazing challenge, looking through the list tired me out! I look forward to the updates.
In reply to Sam M:

Hi Sam,

How about doing a slide evening afterwards - the club I'm in (LMC) has an annual trip to the Orange House so sure there'd be a decent turn out, fiver a head all proceeds to charity type thing....

Fff
Sam M 23 Mar 2007
In reply to featuresforfeet:

Rich is doing a talk and film show for you guys on the 17th May about Costa Blanca.

Yes we will be happy to do slide show etc afterwards, as long as I don´t have to drive over again! :0)

Sam Orange
In reply to Sam M:

Cool - should see you there
keithcrockford 25 Mar 2007
In reply to Sam M:
> (In reply to Paz)
>
> On some days the guys will be climbing way more than 2 routes a day!
>
> So instead of raising money for charity the guys should do it for fun?
>
> Sam

I cant believe peoples negativity on here. The Mountain Rescue teams rely on the likes of you guys to survive. I would rather give money to this, than someone shaking a tin in the middle of a shopping center.

Good luck to you both, and see you at the start and finish.

Mark Stevenson 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan and others: Thank you for the encouraging and constructive comments.

In answer to various posts:

Why am I am doing this?
-Firstly after climbing in the USA and Alps in recent summers I really want to climb some of the best trad routes at home this year and Hard Rock is still the best tick list British routes!
-Secondly, it has never been tried before, I've been considering it for several years and it will be a once in a lifetime challenge.
-Thirdly, if I am going to put 5 weeks of my life into this project then it would be great to support a very worthy and appropriate cause.
-Fourthly it would be great to promote how good British trad mountian routes actualy are.

In reply to Paz asking us if we are taking bets. We are hoping to allow anyone who donates to MR to enter a competition to guess how many routes we will climb between 13th July and 18th August and exactly how long it will take us. Obviously we need to source some prizes for the competition to make it worthwhile but I'm working on that.

Environmental impact and carbon neutrality. A very interesting topic - I would encourage everyone to read the editorial about mountaineering and environment impact in the current issue of Summit.
As someone who is now very much against things like '3 Peaks charity events' I have thought about this a lot. Last month I did some basic calculations for my own interest to quantify the enironmental impact.
- The three of us spending 5 weeks traveling 3000 miles around the UK will produce less CO2 than 3 short-haul return flights within Europe.
- For each climbing day, the trip will produce less than 60% of the CO2 of a weekend trip to the Peak from London by car and less the 40% of the CO2 of a weekend trip to North Wales.
- Also, spending 5 weeks camping and living out of a motorhome we will use only and fraction of the water, electricty and gas that we wood if we stayed at home.

That is not a justifcation, but it does put it into perspective. I am personally comforatable with the fact that it is no more environmentally damaging than me taking a short haul foreign holiday this summer.
People are quite welcome to take issue with this view, but I don't think we really want to be in the situation where every climber has to justify his CO2 output.
Finally, I'm not completely convinced about the whole cardon neutrality thing of buying 'offsets'. I am being pro-active myself and I'm currently doing things like replacing my central heating system with one that will be compatible with both solar heating and the wood burning stove I'll be fitting.

If you have any more comments, please let me know.
 Morgan Woods 26 Mar 2007
In reply to Mark Stevenson:
>
> Environmental impact and carbon neutrality. A very interesting topic

err no it's not....go and have a great time climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...