UKC

NEWS: Longstone Edge, "a thoroughly depressing affair"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 01 Mar 2007
John Horscroft reports from last day of the Longstone Edge Public Inquiry.

Full report at the UKClimbing.com news page http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
OP Michael Ryan 01 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

From Guy Keating at the British Mountaineering Council.

Backdale inquiry ends.

Looking good - Backdale Quarry...
After 10 days of evidence, lengthy sessions of questioning, and much legal debate, the public inquiry into quarrying at Backdale in the Peak District concluded today with closing submissions from the quarry companies. The outcome is expected within the next 4-5 weeks.......

http://83.231.159.41/bmcnews/NewsItem.aspx?id=1327
 deepsoup 01 Mar 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

> Looking good - Backdale Quarry...

Just to clarify a bit, 'Looking good' is the ironic title of the photo with that report, not the prognosis for how the result will turn out. That seems too close to call...

I mean, it seems to me (and everyone else who popped into the public gallery at any point over the 10 days) the right decision to make is bleedin' obvious. But then, having seen first hand what the lawyers mean by 'common sense' and 'plain english'* , I dread to think what the legal definition of 'bleedin' obvious' might be.

Sean
x

*MMC's solicitor used the words 'plain and simple english' on the last day, right before he launched into an endless waffle about the meaning of the words 'winning' and 'working', and the difference between working limestone to win fluorspar, winning limestone whilst working fluorspar, winning this to win that whilst working the other, as opposed to working that one whilst working the other, winning the wok and wanking the workers. (To be honest I'm not sure about that last bit, I nodded off about an hour in.)

Seriously, it was like the three stooges' "Who's on second base" sketch, but with just the one very pompous stooge, no jokes whatsover and longer than Lord of the Rings.
 gingerkate 01 Mar 2007
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> winning the wok and wanking the workers.

Nice to have a bit of light relief in this depressing tale, cheers for that
In reply to gingerkate: Like the use of 'relief' there!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...