UKC

NEWS: An American Discovers Scottish Winter Delights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 28 Feb 2007
"At the Winter Meet headquarters at Glenmore Lodge, a government-owned mountaineering center near Aviemore, no snow was in sight.....Die-hard skiers and snowboarders were braving rain and clag, and paying good money, for a lift to strips of snow that would be sneered at during a bad winter in Pennsylvania."

Dougald MacDonald continues at ... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 TobyA 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: "In practice, this meant about 50 feet of steep 5.6-ish rock climbing that was running with water, leading to slushy snow."

Sounds delightful. I think it says much about MacDonald's skills as a journo to have managed to sound so enthused about it. Hopefully he has got up some better stuff as the week has progressed.
Jonah 28 Feb 2007
In reply to TobyA: I was on Anarch Mor on, er, Saturday. Two Belgian blokes followed us from Anarch An Nid into the corrie. I wasn't aware that the Intl Meet was on, so I suppose they could have been a part of that. Seemed nice enough, happy to climb on the wet snow and so on.
 Norrie Muir 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

It is good that American climbers are coming over for the delights of Scottish winter climbing. They have been doing it for a while and long may they keep doing it. Jim Donini came over to Scotland in 1973 and we have a great time, both on and off the hills.
Stac Pollaidh 28 Feb 2007
In reply to TobyA:
Dougald was enjoying pristine ice on Psychedelic (Monday), according to james edward's blog.
 John2 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Stac Pollaidh: This was the highlight of the article for me - 'At Glasgow’s Queen Street station, during a long wait for a train, I saw two men in kilts and three in shorts. In February.'
Stac Pollaidh 28 Feb 2007
In reply to John2:
Dougald seems a good sort, and he's got a good blog too which i enjoy reading. http://themountainworld.blogspot.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...