UKC

NEWS: Climbing Wall Meets Swimming Pool

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 23 Feb 2007
Ever fancied going deep water soloing but are scared of monsters from the deep, cold water and strong currents?

Well soon you may be able to nip down to your local sport centre, don your swimming cozzy and climb to your heart's content.

PLUS news of the UK's first indoor deep water soloing competition and a new guidebook to the world's best deep water soloing venues.

Full report in the news at UKClimbing.com, here.. http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 FedUp 23 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

F*ck, I've seen it all now: The final proof that climbing's gone to the dogs.
 CJD 23 Feb 2007

cheers for this, I know someone who'll be very interested in this news.

OP Michael Ryan 23 Feb 2007
 grizz 23 Feb 2007

I think there has been one in Copenhagen, Denmark for a long time which Ian Dunn was involved in building. He might confirm it.
 tonanf 23 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I was skiing last week and there was a traverse board on the side of the cable car station for public to have a go on, similar climbing as an incidental activity, quite odd but cool
 Offwidth 24 Feb 2007

You used to be able to do that in that spa hotel outside Ambleside (towards Windermere)...providing no one spotted you that is
 Ian Dunn 26 Feb 2007
In reply to grizz: Yes Entre-Prises built one for a swimming pool in Copenhagen. It was 6.5m high above pool level and I reckon good splash downs could be had!

That might interest the TV in climbing competitions: bikini clad babes competing on solo boulder problems above the pool. Just a good job John Dunne has stopped competing!
Kinley 27 Feb 2007

There was one in Namsos, Norway for years, but they took it down as a number of people were injured. The chances of it happening in danger-aversion Britain? I think not.
 TobyA 27 Feb 2007
In reply to Kinley:

> There was one in Namsos, Norway for years,

Also in Helsinki, although it aimed at kids in the swimming pool not anyone interested in real climbing.
PJay 27 Feb 2007
looks like bloody good fun to me, don't care what the nay-sayers think, it's not about "serious" climbing, it's about having a laugh!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...