UKC

NEWS: Money and Politics and Hueco Tanks. You can help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 15 Feb 2007
Climbers have been active at Hueco Tanks (Texas) since the 1950's when Royal Robbins climbed the first recorded routes there. In the 70's and 80's climbers started bouldering in earnest at Hueco when Mike Head made the first ascent of the Mushroom Roof V8 in 1980. The V bouldering scale was originated here by bouldering guru John Sherman. Fred Nakovic invented the first bouldering pad at Hueco in 1990. Images of Hueco grace the world's climbing magazines and websites. Fred Nicole and other world class climbers have made quantum leaps in bouldering difficulty here. Bouldering at Hueco is on the world climbing map and is visited each year by thousands of climbers from around the world.

But now access is severely threatened again. You can help.

Full report in the news at UKClimbing.com.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Morgan Woods 15 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Good story and background....i have e-mailed fwiw as maybe one day i would like to pay a visit.
graeme alderson 15 Feb 2007

Come on Mick, get with the programme http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=226475&v=1#3330314 posted 9th Feb

Or to put it another way. Bump.
OP Michael Ryan 15 Feb 2007
In reply to graeme alderson:

Hi Graeme,

We don't just post links. Apart from that, as I keep repeating, not everyone reads the forums or has all forums active. Many check the news each day rather than trolling through the forums....or take cue from the weekly newsletter which has a summary of all things UKC. I keep repeating this and I think it is working because posts like yours are becoming less in frequency.

Ta for the bump.

BMC news report just up on the news page and about to be noted on the RT forum.

Mick
 JGW 16 Feb 2007

Thanks for the update - I agree it's an issue we should all be aware of and try to do something about. I can't say I'm impressed with the obligatory side swipe at Bush though. I'm behind any campaign to improve access, as are all the climbers I know, regardless of political persuasion. I would describe a topic such as this as fairly apolitical (as far as traditional party politics is concerned). I can't quite see the link here between the Bush administration and the loss of access - the man isn't governor there anymore after all. Why alienate the (presumably pretty large) section of the American populace who voted for Bush? You might just need their support to keep Hueco open.
OP Michael Ryan 16 Feb 2007
In reply to JGW:

You are right JGW, I should keep my politics to myself. I do feel very strongly however about money and politics, and George Bush.

I live and learn.

Mick
 JGW 16 Feb 2007

Fair play to you - I disagree with many of his policies myself. But I think the climbing media should try to steer clear of wider politics. Climbers are a diverse bunch after all. Thanks for the response!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...