NEWS: Help to save Longstone Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The BMC has made available some letters so that you can join the campaign to help save Longstone Edge.

More on UKC News - http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Direct link to BMC site - http://www.thebmc.net/bmcnews/NewsItem.aspx?id=1262

Alan
UKC
Kinley 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Are we going to start a trust fund for all those who will lose their jobs when we sucessfully close the quarry?
 gingerkate 26 Jan 2007
Well, I duly sent off my letter (on 15th January) ... and just now got a reply.

Which thanks me for my letter, but then tells me:
'it was submitted after the deadline. All parties involved in an appeal have a responsibility to meet the deadlines set.' Blah blah blah.

So that was a bit of a waste of time etc. Oh well.
 Team BMC 26 Jan 2007
In reply to gingerkate:

You can now leave your signed letters with one of the participating climbing walls or gear shops in Sheffield or the Peak, and we will arrange collection, or alternatively send them directly to the BMC at:
Access & Conservation
The BMC
177-179 Burton Road
Manchester
M20 2BB

See latest BMC News - http://83.231.159.41/bmcnews/NewsItem.aspx?id=1271

Tony Ryan
 gingerkate 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

Excellent, good on you.

gingerkate 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Team BMC:

ps Do I have to tweak the letter at all to allow you to present it on my behalf? I mean, does it need my BMC membership number or anything? Or a different addressee?

Just don't want to be stymied by bureaucracy a second time round...
 john horscroft 29 Jan 2007
In reply to all:

Get those letters in! The planning enquiry starts Feb 13 and work continues apace on Wager's Flat. The mess is phenomenal. I found out by talking to some of the guys who work for Glebe Mines that the proportion of Fluorspar that Bleaklow Industries are taking out is pitifully low, reinforcing the impression that this is simply a limestone operation and therefore outside the original permission. If you want to know who to write to, check out the Longstone Edge campaigns page:

http://www.longstone-edge.org.uk/thecampaign/howtohelp.htm

CHeers
jh
 john horscroft 29 Jan 2007

Latest news, just in from the Peak Park Authority.

This is firstly to let you know that Barry Gardiner MP, the Minister for Biodiversity, Landscape and Rural Affairs at Defra - who is responsible for all English National Parks - will be visiting the Peak District National Park tomorrow, Tuesday 30 January.
He will see at first hand the quarries on Longstone Edge and, afterwards we have arranged for him to meet representatives from organisations including Save Longstone Edge Group, Friends of the Peak District, British Mountaineering Council, Stanton Against Destruction of our Environment, Stanton Lees Action Group and parish councils, at the National Park Authority headquarters.
He will also learn about our work with children and young people, our services to visitors and management of land for wildlife. In addition he will be re-launching the Peak District Land Management Advisory Service that moves to the Agricultural Business Centre in Bakewell this month.
Secondly, to provide you with as much background information as possible in the run-up to the Backdale Public Inquiry (starting 13th Feb 2007 at Calver Village Hall) we have set up a web-page:

www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/backdale

This gives comprehensive information about the case and about the procedure of a public inquiry, including:
* A Question-and-Answer sheet
* Media Background Briefing Notes
* National Park Authority Proofs of Evidence (the case we are submitting to the Inquiry)
* Copies of the original 1952 planning permission and map, plus a modern site-plan
* A link to the Govt Planning Service web-page where submissions from all parties are accessible
* General guidance about Public Inquiries from the Planning Inspectorate.

Barbara Crossley (Communications Officer)
 Team BMC 29 Jan 2007
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to BMC Office)
>
> ps Do I have to tweak the letter at all to allow you to present it on my behalf? I mean, does it need my BMC membership number or anything? Or a different addressee?
>
> Just don't want to be stymied by bureaucracy a second time round...

No need to change your original letter - just get a copy to the BMC, and we'll take them to the public inquiry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...