How warm is the Micropuff Jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 droites 02 Jan 2007
So how warm is the Pataguchi Micropuff jacket,compared to say a TNF Optimus. I'm sure this is a question that has been asked before!!! Have the TNF (old style) and need a jacket to belay in during the, hopefully, cold winter months.
Thanks
task-o 02 Jan 2007
In reply to speedysi:

We sell both where i work - the micropuff feels a bit thicker than the redpoint but not much. If you want a much warmer jacket than you have already, look at the DAS Parka from Patagonia or the Enclosure Parka from Cloudveil which are both excellent for winter ice/alpine climbing.

Cheers
OP droites 02 Jan 2007
In reply to task-o: Do you know where I can get my paws on a DAS? Nothing on Patagonia/europe.
task-o 02 Jan 2007
In reply to speedysi:

They stopped making it for a while but i think they're doing it again now. You may be able to order from the states from the Patagonia website or American shops. The Patagonis shop in Chamonix had them last time i was thereas well. Have a look at the Cloudveil one though - I've got one myself and it's excellent. It was also about 2/3 the cost of the DAS parka!

Good luck
OP droites 02 Jan 2007
In reply to task-o: Ahhh-I assume I can only get the cloudveil from the states also. Bummer
task-o 02 Jan 2007
In reply to speedysi:

Snow and Rock did them last year so i assume they have a UK importer - if not, i find their stuff sizes very similar to Patagonia so if you know your size you should be fairly safe ordering from the states. Because of the weak Dollar it should work out a bit cheaper than UK pricing, even if you do have to pay a bit more postage.
In reply to speedysi: i have both a DAS and micro puff (neither bought at anywhere near retail btw). The DAs is great in winter and for skiing at -40! it is a really warm solid bit of kit. that will get carried most days in scottlant this winter. it only down side is it bulky. it does stuff quite small, but i carry mine at the very top of my pack and put it on whenever i stop. i tend to dress lightly. my micro puff get used spring and autumn and for summer alpine. it is much thinner than the DAS, but still has the same excellent hood. it would be a great belay jacket for scottland, but i have a DAS so i use that. The DAS is only avalible in the states for some bizare reason, you should be able to order one for arond £150 (uk retail was around £200). you could alwaysa get a micro puff vest as well and compine the two jackets. so still dress lightly, layering the the vest over the top of your climbing where when your seconding and adding the micro puff on belays.
 Dave Stelmach 02 Jan 2007
In reply to speedysi: Not as warm as a McMurdo!
OP droites 03 Jan 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Thanks Tom,that sthe kind of info I was after. According to one of the lads at Patagonia the DAS was available in small numbers in Europe-WHY? They are bringing it back to europe next year though-hoorah. I already have the vest so the jacket/vest combo might be just the ticket. Tried my mates jacket on yesterday-its soooo light and compact and it still feels warm (it was cold here yesterday). Pro get more use out of the micropuff anyway as winter trips to Scotland are a bit of pain,so tend to be only one long or two shorter trips these days-bugger.
OP droites 03 Jan 2007
In reply to speedysi: What about the micropuff compared to the RAB belay jacket?
 Wilbur 03 Jan 2007
In reply to speedysi:

rab belay is warmer
In reply to Wilbur: a good halfway betwen the two. if you want a do it all synthetic jacket this is the one. similar to the old gucci puffball jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...