UKC

NEWS: Online Climbing Shops - Busy Busy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 18 Dec 2006
The online climbing shops that advertise at UKClimbing.com are busy wrapping and mailing all kinds of outdoor gear and clothing and will do so well into this week.

Read more:..... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
mac_climb 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com you put the date as June 12 an error i think
mac_climb 20 Dec 2006
In reply to mac_climb: are u not going to change the mistake?
 Padraig 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Wayy too busy wrapping me thinks!!!

Oh and shouldn't it have been a premier post????
OP Michael Ryan 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Padraig:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> Wayy too busy wrapping me thinks!!!
>
> Oh and shouldn't it have been a premier post????

Do you like posting and reading stuff on UKClimbing.com? These shops help fund your fun!
mac_climb 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: u gonna change it?
 Tobias at Home 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: does it really cost a lot of money to run a website? don't get me wrong, i hope the people running ukc can make a few quid out of it but it seems every day there is a new post about how we need extra ads to pay for the service. as far as i can tell it just needs a bit of bandwidth and storage. seems that most of the content is provided free of charge from us. couldn't you post a news item about how people are busy submitting new articles as well some time?

Padraig 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Do you like posting and reading stuff on UKClimbing.com?

Of course I do!
But this seems like advertising to me? Premier Post?
Where does UKC draw line?
E-bay climbing gear is still available e.g.?
And before you start..... Google has E-bay on one of it's drop-downs..
These shops help fund your fun! And I spend quite a bit with some of them over the course of the year!
In reply to Tobias at Home:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) does it really cost a lot of money to run a website?

5 figures. The running of this website takes a lot of money and a lot of time.

Mick
 Tyler 20 Dec 2006

> seems that most of the content is provided free of charge from us.

To be fair I reckon we could manage without your contribution if you are gonna winge.

> does it really cost a lot of money to run a website?......as far as i can tell it just needs a bit of bandwidth and storage.

Don't know about the bald facts for this one but yes it does, shit loads.

> couldn't you post a news item about how people are busy submitting new articles as well some time?

There seems to be new articles all the time now.

I know I've completely over reacted to your post!
 Tobias at Home 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Tyler: yes, it was a bit of an overreaction...i was asking out of curiosity...you misunderstood me - seems to me that 90% of the content of this website is provided by us. alan et al provide the databases, infrastructure etc. but most people are here for the forums, articles and logbooks - details all provided by us.

mick - thanks for the answer, i wasn't knocking the site - just curious really. ukc is a great resource - was just starting to feel a bit like i was supposed to feel greatful for it when really it is a massively symbiotic relationship....

night all,
toby

> (In reply to Tyler) was just starting to feel a bit like i was supposed to feel greatful for it when really it is a massively symbiotic relationship....

It is symbiotic relationship. You are right, everyone contributes massively to this site like you say with posts, articles, photos, ideas, news, logbook entries and more. It does still take a lot of work to keep it running smoothly with work from several people, and as said lots of cash to host and develop it.
 Phil Anderson 20 Dec 2006
> was just starting to feel a bit like i was supposed to feel greatful for it when really it is a massively symbiotic relationship....

Surely both? I'm massively grateful to the UKC team for providing the infrastructure upon which the symbiotic relationship exists.

Despite what people may think, running any site of this size and volume (in terms of traffic and changing content) is a huge task.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...