Bad News from USA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 18 Dec 2006
1 climber found dead on Mt Hood, 3 missing. Intensive search in progress.
 rusty_nails 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Trangia:

Best of luck to all those out there spending their time looking for the lost ones.

Hope for a speedy and safe recovery!
OP Trangia 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Trangia:

Dead climber identified as Kelly James 48 of Dallas. Missing climbers Brian Hall 37 of Dallas and Jerry Cooke 37 of New York.

They were caught in a snowstorm with 100mph winds.

My thoughts go out to the family of James, and hoping that the missing men will be found alive.
Removed User 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Trangia:

Yeh, very sad news. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. Fingers crossed for the others...

Some info here.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_on_re_us/missing_climbers
Anonymous 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Trangia: Do we keep having to have these rather morbid threads,and why do people keep offering condolences to people they dont know,bizarre......
 Niall 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

because some things bring us all together, and on here, it's love of the mountains.
Removed User 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

If they don't mean anything to you then don't read them. Probably most of us on this forum have lost friends to the mountains, and sometimes been close to it ourselves, so these events are quite close to home and easy to empathise with.

Speaking personally, I lost someone close to me not so long ago, and all the messages and condolences I got from relative strangers who understood the situation meant a great deal.
Regis Von Goatlips 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Trangia) Do we keep having to have these rather morbid threads,and why do people keep offering condolences to people they dont know,bizarre......

A comment like this exposes you as either not being a climber, or having no heart. Either way I for one wouldn't feel comfortable with you as belay mate, no offence. No matter who or where or under what circumstances if climbers are killed it hits home hard and the community feels the loss. It might interest those in the UK that broadcast media in the states has been slavering all over this tradgedy since it first began. "If it bleeds, it leads"; and provides a lovely diversion from all the miriad news items that are sumarily ignored here or twisted to suit the whims of a handful of suits.
OP Trangia 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Trangia) Do we keep having to have these rather morbid threads,and why do people keep offering condolences to people they dont know,bizarre......

Your comment exposes you to being a bizarre person if you cannot empathise with fellow climbers.
 Dan Parker 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

These type of threads act as a sobering reminder of our mortality!!! To often do climbers ignore the risks we take , in the pursuit of our dreams.

Cy Kaicener 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Removed User:
Very Sad - www.climbingnews.com (Scroll Down) thinks that the two climbers might have fallen. Winds have been gusting to more than 100 miles per hour.
Anonymous 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips: Dear Mr Goatlips,
Well I am a climber and also in the mountain rescue for 20 years.

I still think people who rush to start threads about climbing accidents on here are strange.
Even stranger are people who start putting condolences onto people they dont know ,I find it a bit insincere.
Maybe I see too many dead people.
OP Trangia 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
>putting condolences onto people they dont know ,I find it a bit insincere.
> Maybe I see too many dead people.

Who the hell do you think you are to start accusing other people of being insincere? How do you know how they feel? What are you? A self appointed emotion policeman? If seeing too many dead bodies has left you devoid of any feeling, perhaps it is time you stopped getting involved.

I have assisted in a number of body recoveries and once came upon a dead climber whilst doing a route, and it always upset me. They were all strangers, but that doesn't stop me feeling a terrible sadness for them and their loved ones.

As you feel the way you do, why don't you keep your thoughts to yourself? These threads are often read by friends and relatives of the dead, and I know (because some have said so) that they derive some comfort from knowing that the vast majority of the climbing community care and feel for them, even if they are strangers.

Regis Von Goatlips 19 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous: I don't think theres much more to add to what Trangia has written; other than you "Anonymous" are a bloke in denial.
Long John 23 Dec 2006
In reply to Regis Von Goatlips:

"No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind..."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...