2 climbers missing in N Corries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

This sort of news flash always makes my stomach churn. We all hope for a good outcome to the search.
 Chris Fryer 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Not good. I really wouldn't have wanted to be out last night. Hope they are OK.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Yep, fingers & toes crossed for them. Must have been hellish up there in those conditions.
 TobyA 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: I take it the weather really crapped out then? All the photos were of clear blue skies!

Fingers crossed for them. Hope it turns out good, everyone has so much better kit these days you have a chance. A mate of mine spent a night out above Coire an Lochain some years ago after him and his partner got disoriented on the descent in wild weather. They tried digging in but the snow wasn't consolidated enough, but he said he mainly kept digging snow around just to keep warm. But he's a hard b*****d. Hopefully these guys turn up bedgraggled but OK.

martin riddell 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

we were climbing over in Corrie an Lochain yesterday, topped out around 3 ish and walked along the corrie rim to the goat track into t-sneachda and descended there down to the MR box

did not see anyone, although the visibility was pish and the howling wind negated any converstaion / shouts

took us a couple of hours to walk out from there in the wind and snow

would not have been nice out there last night - hope they guys turn out safe enough
 Trangia 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I see they are described as ice climbers. It seems very early in the season. Is there ice in condition in Scotland yet?
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to TobyA:

> I take it the weather really crapped out then? All the photos were of clear blue skies!

I wasn't in the N Corries yesterday, but I'm not that far away. It was a beautiful still morning where I am, but the weather just got worse and worse as the day progressed. No doubt it was the same up there, some people from UKC were in there so they can probably confirm.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Trangia:

Don't know, don't think it matters.
RobE 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Trangia:

It's not really appropriate to asking about nick on this thread, is it?
 TobyA 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Trangia: I think simply it means that the BBC isn't quite au fait with the distinction, ice, mixed, snowed up rock etc. Presumably the do mean they were out climbing a grade route though, as opposed to hill walkers.
 Burnsie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Aye Lochain was wild :

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=213119&v=1#3126299

Hope the guys turn up OK.
lucyH 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Burnsie: No names have been given have they for the missing climbers?
In reply to Burnsie:

was in there yesterday as well, was very wild indeed

not a nice day at all
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to lucyH:

No names as yet Lucy.
lucyH 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Thanks Doug!!!
wcdave 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Moray Firth Radio just reported that there's still no sign of the two climbers. A full scale rescue is continuing.
 Dangerous Dave 20 Nov 2006
In reply to lucyH: Was climbing yesterday did fingers ridge the missing clibers are my friends they were on a route to the left of us. The weather was wild really bad. Shouted at them and hey said they were abbing off and thats the last we heard.
moutain rescue have found fixed ropes used to ab off but no sign of them and there is avalanche debris all round goat track.
Its not looking good and am really worried.
will post any news as i find out.
In reply to Dangerous Dave:

Dave, we descended down goat track at around 3ish yesterday afternoon, there was no avalanche debris at that time, but we did controlled bum slide down causing quite localised slab avalanches - nothing too big though, but it may appear as avalanch debris

Hope the guys are ok
 TobyA 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: Lots of people are thinking about them Dave, I know that's not much help but our thoughts are with them, and the MRTs and you and their friends and family.

Here's hoping.
In reply to martin riddell: Thanks man but I don't think thats what there seeing as when we descended goat track at about 4 there were no tracks on it or anything. It was so windy that any tracks were just dissapearing.
Lets just keep our fingers crossed.
Geoffrey Michaels 20 Nov 2006

Fingers crossed for your friends. Sounds like the MR team are doing all they can. I'm sure all winter walkers and climbers can identify with the situation your friends are in and hope they make it out fine.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006

Aberdeen Evening Express looks like it's leading with the headline "Students Lost in Avalanche"...

http://tinyurl.com/y3jaqd
 Mike C 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Yes, it is. Big pic of the coire on the front & 2 page spread inside.
Fingers crossed for them.
 Chris Fryer 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Fingers on a part of their anatomy a long way from their pulse as usual.
johnscholes 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: I,m sorry to hear that the missing clibers are your friends, i was out yesterday on the hill and the weather was really wild and the wind speed just kept going up. I was just out walking and it was very hard moving through the snow which was waist deep in places.
I hope the news is good, but there was a lot of loose snow around and the gullys did not look good.
I will be thinking about them until news comes out.
Flock
 Banned User 77 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: One found alive, other missing.
In reply to IainRUK: Just been an update on BBC news 24, one found walking out, flown to Inverness, search still on for the second.
In reply to IainRUK:

BBC Radio nan Gàidheal just reporting now that one of them found and flown to Raigmore with the search continuing for the other.
In reply to Donald M:

Second climber has now been found and taken to hostpital according to BBC News 24!

Hope they are both ok.

Andy
lucyH 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Mac Ghille Aindrais:
Brill
 Burnsie 20 Nov 2006

thank fk for that.
Was getting very concerned.
luke_brown 20 Nov 2006
Glad they're both ok. Will be interesting to find out what happened.
 tony 20 Nov 2006

That's very good news, and a huge relief for all concerned. Credit to everyone involved in the search and rescue.
 Rubbishy 20 Nov 2006

Great news, let's hope tehty are both ok.

no doubt this will cue the usual rubbish fromthe uninformed about charging for rescue services.

Briliiant effort from said services
 Wibble Wibble 20 Nov 2006
In reply to The Gibbon:

Excellent news. Hope they're OK.
 Glyn Jones 20 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Or a cue for people to help by donating money to them?
 TobyA 20 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Good job for the MRTs. Hope the boys are not too worse for wear. Fingers still crossed.
 Burnsie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby:

"no doubt this will cue the usual rubbish fromthe uninformed about charging for rescue services. "

I've already had it out with 2 people in my office this morning over this. Yes sterling effort by each of the 30 plus people involved - makes all of the false alarms worth it.

SonyaD 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: What a worry for you all, I am happy to hear that your friends have been found and are back.
 KeithW 20 Nov 2006
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to John Rushby) Good job for the MRTs.

Agreed - remember they nearly lost a Sea King up there back in March. Hope everyone's OK now they're warm & dry.
 sasmojo 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Very glad they are both ok.
duntelchaig midge 20 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo:

Great to hear they are OK.

I know a couple of the guys in the MR so it's congrats and a big thanks to them and the rest of the team.
 Simon Caldwell 20 Nov 2006
In reply to duntelchaig midge:
Don't uncross those fingers too soon, according to the report one is still in the corrie
johnscholes 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: Good news ! Tell them all the best from me.
Flock

hope the guys are ok after there ordeal - would not have been nice out there last night
 Steve Parker 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Fantastic news. Been watching this thread gloomily.

Everyone - keep donating to the MR!!! They are the business!
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to duntelchaig midge)
> Don't uncross those fingers too soon, according to the report one is still in the corrie

I hope I'm correct in saying 2 lost and now 2 found. There wasn't 3 of them was there?
 Simon Caldwell 20 Nov 2006
Read the BBC report.
 ChrisJD 20 Nov 2006

The report says one has been rescued and that the second has been found, but is still in the corrie.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006

Just back from lunch, great news
 ChrisJD 20 Nov 2006
BBC Report now updated - both off hill:

"The pair, aged 18 and 23 and from the Aberdeen area, were taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness. Their conditions are not known. "

Mike C 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Aberdeen Evening Express is now stating one of the pair is dead.
In reply to Mike C:

What? Any links?
In reply to Mike C:

If that is the case then it is very sad news indeed.

Andy
 Mike C 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Wibble Wibble:

They haven't updated their website yet http://tinyurl.com/y3jaqd, but we got the City Final edition in a short while ago & it says both were taken to Raigmore (Inverness hospital) & one has since died.
My condolences to folk, not a lot to say really.
wcdave 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C: MFR just reported both are in a serious condition in Raigmore.
 Mike C 20 Nov 2006
In reply to wcdave:

Lets hope the paper has jumped the gun then.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:

> My condolences to folk, not a lot to say really.

Indeed, that really is terrible news if it's true.

johnsdowens 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:

News 24 are still just reporting that the pair have been found (15:12)
 Tiggs 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: This is awful news so early in the season! Fingers crossed that they will be OK, my thoughts are with them and their families.
 london_huddy 20 Nov 2006
Tragic news if the reports are true. Superb effort by the lads to keep going over night, and of course from the MRT.

Any updates?
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to hindu:

BBC Scotland webpage was updated at 15:35, nothing new though.
 Mike C 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Now on EE's website
http://tinyurl.com/y6ze9o
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:

Oh No.

Stu Tyrrell 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: From your link Doug Sad news

Two ice climbers die after rescue

A RAF helicopter comes into land at Raigmore
Two ice climbers rescued after a night spent in "dreadful" conditions in the Cairngorms have died.
The men, aged 18 and 23 and from Aberdeen University Climbing Club, were taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness

Stu
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Even worse news.

Heartfelt condolences to all concerned.
 Rubbishy 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Shit, terrible news.

My condolences to their friends and families.
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Oh shit, that's terrible.
 london_huddy 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Absolutely tragic news. Heartwrenching afternoon as the intial reports sounded optimistic.

My thoughts are with their families and friends, and with the MRT guys too.
luke_brown 20 Nov 2006
Best wishes to family and all friends that knew them.

Take care out there peeps....
 KeithW 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

That's awful. And especially after what seemed a happy ending earlier. Condolences to all involved.
 Stu Tyrrell 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: This is the link again, just incase the news is wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6164422.stm

Stu
Bingly Bong 20 Nov 2006
In reply to hindu:
> (In reply to Stu Tyrrell)
>
> Absolutely tragic news. Heartwrenching afternoon as the intial reports sounded optimistic.
>
> My thoughts are with their families and friends, and with the MRT guys too.

I'd like to echo that.

Glyn Jones 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Appalling news.

Condolences to friends and family.

Heartfelt thanks to the MRT and services for what they did in such trying conditions.

Glyn
 Stuart S 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Poor buggers.

Sympathy to their families and friends.
ian mcconnell 20 Nov 2006
Aye, very bad news, must have been a desperate search. Shame for the family to first hear they had been found and flown to Raigmore but the lack of news of their condition was a bit telling.
 Steve Parker 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Shit, I really hope their families weren't doing the same as us lot and prematurely believing they were okay. Bad news.
 Dave Pritchard 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
Terrible news. Thoughts with friends and family, and with the rescue guys for such a great effort.

Dave
 Caralynh 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Been following this all day - very upsetting outcome. From the various reports (found walking out, only a mile from the road, etc) it really seems a case of so near, and yet so far. Sympathies to all involved
west-country-wanderer 20 Nov 2006
terrible news after the hopeful news at lunch. i can only echo the words of many, wishing all concerned my thoughts.
take care out there people.
 rusty_nails 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Such a sad development after such hard work from the MRT.

My deepest condolonces to the family and friends.
 woodie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Been following this all day too. Terrible news after hopes were lifted earlier. Thoughts are with the two lads and their families and friends.

Also thoughts with the MRT teams and SARDA that have been battling hard for the last 24hrs.

Lucy Wallace 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
My feelings are the same as others posted here. Heartbreaking news. My thoughts are with families, friends and the climbing club they were in.

It seems this was another superhuman effort on the part of the rescue teams for which climbers are grateful whatever the outcome.
 Chris Fryer 20 Nov 2006
Very Sad News. Sincerest Condolences to all friends and families.
drmarten 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Condolences to both families involved and thanks to the MRT. I wasn't aware of the outcome until reading here, I thought they'd got out okay.
 oor wullie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Condolences to the families and all involved. I have happy memories of days on the hill with one of them and was looking forward to more.
Dangerous Dave i hope you're doing ok after this.
 Glen 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

"Both were found about 15 to 20 minutes walk from a car park, which is an hour's walk from Coire an t-Sneachda."
(from BBC link)

Terrible news - my condolences to family and friends.
 Jamie B 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

As Martin said, we passed close to where the climbers must have been and endured hellish conditions walking out, not least underfoot.

My heart utterly goes out to anyone who is placed in a survival situation in that kind of weather; it is difficult to imagine how horrifying it must have been.
 Trangia 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

That is so sad, and they were so young. I feel for their families and friends.
Phylis 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Trangia: Sad Sad news indeed. Thoughts to their family and friends.

Hope you're ok mate, terrible news. My thoughts go out to their friends and families.
In reply to DougG:

I met a couple of guys from the Uni Club on Saturday as well. Said the rest of their group was in a course at the Lodge. Don't know if it was the lads I met or the others. Tragic either way.

I'll echo the sentiments of everyone else on here and pass on my regards to all concerned.

Like others, I presumed all would be OK at lunchtime. Even sent a message to guys I know on the team for such a sterling job and great outcome.
 Henry Iddon 20 Nov 2006
Terribly sad. There was a discussion at the Kendal Festival on 'Risk' on Saturday.
 TomH 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: really shit news, my thoughts are with their friends and families, and my thanks to all those involved in the search.
ledi 20 Nov 2006
Rest in peace guys.
In reply to DougG: reitterate the thoughts already expressed, absolutely tragic, condolences to friends and family.
 Burnsie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to All:

Just heard this on the radio on the way home.
I am stunned and don't really know what to say other than thoughts are with family and friends.
 SonyaD 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: This is truly awful, esp after thinking they were found and safe this afternoon. Sincerest thoughts are with their family and friends, such a waste.
 Marmot Catcher 20 Nov 2006
In reply to All: I watched this unfold on the BBC news today. I stay in Aberdeen and have already heard the local news talk about how well equiped and how well experienced the two guys were. As far as the radio goes one was less experienced and less well equiped. Don't know if this is true and to be honest it doesn't matter. Unfortunately it'll be a lead for the armchair critics to while away some debating time. Young or old, experienced or rookie, everyone has to start-out sometime. If there's such serious conditions up there with so much snow - where is the SAIS forecast....???
 Steve Parker 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Marmot Catcher:

I don't think anyone is going to be so crass as to start debating anyone's relative inexperience here just yet.
 S Lynch 20 Nov 2006
In reply to All:

Very Sad News. My condolences to family and friends.
 IainMunro 20 Nov 2006

Just found out who it is. Gutted. I've sent you mail.

Iain
 L.A. 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Yet another one to say how sorry I am for them and their family and friends-Thats way too young to die!
The one positive thing to come out of it for me was to see how many people have watched and contributed to this thread throughout the day-all obviously concerned and caring about these guys.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to All:

Expect this will be the lead story on Reporting Scotland, just about to start.

It's heart-wrending reading the reactions of people who knew the lads involved.

For what it's worth - probably not a great deal - my thoughts are with you.
 Steve Parker 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
>
> It's heart-wrending reading the reactions of people who knew the lads involved.
>
Second that. Best wishes and condolences to all involved.
In reply to DougG: Yes this is terrible news. The tow boys were very well equiped having all the nesecary equipment with them. The younger lad was less experienced in terms of climbing but was very fit and experianced in the hills.
It has just turned out to be a tragic accident! The weather was so bad that you could hardly stand.
We are all saddened by this event and thank you for your support.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006

Report on BBC Scotland just finished, suggests that they were only 15-20 minutes from the car park. They were not avalanched, but overcome by the conditions. 120mph winds mentioned.
In reply to DougG:

Terrible news and thoughts go out to all. Underlines the fundamental seriousness of winter climbing in Scotland.
In reply to DougG:

This is very sad. Condolences to all who knew them.

Davie
Removed User 20 Nov 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

Tragic. Condolences to families and friends.
Profanisaurus Rex 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I'd just like to add my condolences, for what it's worth. Sad news for all who knew them, but tempered with the knowledge that they died doing what they loved.

Tom Last 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Condolences to all involved.

RIP lads
 ronbo 20 Nov 2006
Is very sad I was sledging with these guys on Saturday night at the lodge, really sad to hear the news.
Condolences to all that knew them.
Ron
GUMC
 TobyA 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: Terrible, terrible. They obviously kept fighting as well. For what its worth, condolences to you, all their other mates and particularly their families. Probably most of us who have climbed a reasonable amount in the Scottish winter have had days when you have to fight hard to get down safely. A few cups of tea, some fish a chips and couple of pints later and you totally forget how close things can get without really realising it. So sad these lads didn't quite make it and should make everyone else thank their stars or whatever.
OP DougG 20 Nov 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Very well put Toby.
 JoH - Editor 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Dad just called to give me the news. Sincere condolences to you DD, their friends and the families.
 Alan Taylor 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Condolences to all who knew them, your in our prayers
 Sean Bell 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: been staying updated with this all day.Totally shocked to hear the sad news after I'd heard they had been found alive, its just so tragic.I cant begin to imagine what their families and friends must be going through.Our thoughts are with you all.And also with the MRT and the hospital staff who fought so hard.

Neil Mackenzie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Barry Chocolate:

as with most, i have been nervously following this all day. totally shocked and saddened after the apparently promising news earlier on.

my thoughts are with all those connected, especially the familes, friends and the gallant MRT and resue/medical staff.
pmagowan 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Thoughts and condolences to friends and family. A tragedy. There is little that can be said after such an event, so hard to make sense of. We all wish it had turned out different. To all those affected, our thoughts are with you.
In reply to pmagowan: Agree, just terrible news with little left to be said.
 Batcloud 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
A tragic end to a day of hope. Respect to the 2 young men and condolences to their families and friends.
feepole 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

So very sad. Condolences to all who knew them.

So much more shocking given the seemingly good news earlier this afternoon.
 DerwentDiluted 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I've just heard about this. Condolances and thoughts to all affected.

Bob.
 Johntherock 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

That's hard, cruel hard. It must have been a hellish nightmare up there. My thoughts to their friends and families.

John
lochin 20 Nov 2006
In reply to feepole:

It is so shocking. Our chosen pursuit has risks and we accept them, but the sense of relief to learn that these two young men had been found alive and for it to end in tragedy makes it hit home. It must be so difficult for family and friends to come to terms with such events. I wish I could offer more than condolences to them.
Removed User 20 Nov 2006
Would like to add my sincerest sympathies to all involved.
 yer maw 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: terribly tragic news the young lads dying in these circumstances. condolences to friends and family who have endured a heart wrenching time, and sympathies to the MRT who must be gutted.

Iain
 kcarey 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Oviously terrible news especially consiering the optimistic reports earlier on.
Can I ask what happened regarding the weather yesterday?
Was it crap all day or did it deteriorate worse than expected rapidly?
Having had only minimal experiance with scottish winter hillwalking, I am a little curious to know how this can happen. Primarily so that I dont end up in a mess when i get back up there.

Condolences to the families and freinds of the 2 lads.
Simon3 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: What a tradegy. But for the grace of good fortune how many of us have been so close to similar tradegy. Our thoughts are with their family and frinds. I'll be raising a dram to them tonight.
In reply to kcarey:

This isn't a thread for disecting the details of the climber's deaths. Please respect this for the sake of all involved.

Davie
 Simon 20 Nov 2006

Shit - how sad - genuinly upset - what a nightmare..

Condolances to all involved ..

so sad for those guys that were so young - what can you say? - awfull

si
 Steve Parker 20 Nov 2006
In reply to kcarey:

> Having had only minimal experiance with scottish winter hillwalking, I am a little curious to know how this can happen. Primarily so that I dont end up in a mess when i get back up there.
>
As I understand it, they weren't hillwalking. The Cairngorms can be a fierce place. But this isn't an information thread. It's gone from being a thread full of hope to a memorial for two guys that were like us. Leave the enquiries for another time.
pwhiteside 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: I was sad to hear the terrible news. My condolences to the climbers' family and friends.
johnscholes 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: Its sad news to find out that they have died, i was upbeat when i heard that they were found alive this morning, but now i am stunned and don't really know what to say other than thoughts are with there friends and family.
The Mountain rescue guys will be gutted too, because its nice to find folk alive but its very sad when the news turns bad.
Sad times and so young.
Flock
 kcarey 20 Nov 2006
Now i dont want to get into a war of words on this thread but considering the circumstances but the thread is actualy entitled "2 climbers missing in N Corries"
Plenty of other people have been discussing the conditions there yesterday. I wasnt dissecting events.
Regards.
KC
 Burnsie 20 Nov 2006
In reply to kcarey:

Read the whole thread from start to finish - there are links to the conditions. I have been follwing this most of the day and Davie is right - now is not the time to be asking questions.
wcdave 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Horrible news. Sincere condolences to all concerned.
In reply to DougG:

Devastating news at the loss of two lives so young.

Thoughts and prayers are with their family and friends.

Em x
 nikinko 20 Nov 2006
I've just read this right through as been offline all day-

heartfelt condolenses to all friends and relatives- what a tragic outcome after a hopeful afternoon.

Nikki
Frodo 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Aye, terrible tragedy, hopefully the last this season. My sympathies and condolences.

Rich
 stomach 20 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I wish to add my condolences to family and friends. Very sad indeed. I have kept checking this thread all day, and echo those sad thoughts already spoken! So sad and tragic after the hope we all had after they were found alive.

Brings it home even more when guys on here know them alwell!

Matt
grizzpup 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Frodo:

As a fellow University of Aberdeen student, winter climber and climbing partner of one of their mates, I would like to offer my condolences to all those who knew these guys. A terrible tragedy.

Perhaps we should all make an extra contribution to our local MRT this week in appreciation of the fact that there by the grace of god go we.......

grizzpup

Rowie B 20 Nov 2006
In reply to grizzpup:

Such sad news. Heartfelt consolences to family and friends.
frontpoint 20 Nov 2006
I would also like to add my deepest sympathy to the families of the two climbers and also praise to the MRT and all those involved in the rescue efforts.

Jonathan

Dave80 20 Nov 2006

Dave my condolences to you, their friends and family. I found out who the older one was earlier and still can't believe he's gone. Always seemed so lively and able to get himself out of just about anything!

It must have been terrible for those of you who knew they were out there and sitting waiting for the news. Been there with some of my mates (who were some of the lucky ones) and it's not pleasant at all.

My thoughts are with all their family and friends on this terrible day.

R.I.P.
 Snax 20 Nov 2006
Dave and everyone else on here who knew these guys, you have my thoughts and condolances.
Yrmenlaf 20 Nov 2006
In reply to Snax:

There is nothing to say, except to echo everyone else. My prayers and sympathies are with those who knew these lads: the ones they loved and those who loved them.

Y.
GregGrace 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I'd like to offer my heartfelt condolences to both families involved, and also to the friends of the two lads. The fact that they nearly made it back to the ski station demonstrates their courage and resilience, and no doubt they will be remembered for this.

Rest in Peace
 Wibble Wibble 21 Nov 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Well said Toby. I was shocked to hear that both guys had died on the news last night. A very sad day.
 Exile 21 Nov 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Well put Toby. Heart goes out to all those who new them.
 Moacs 21 Nov 2006

Oh Dave. What can I say? I was so gutted to hear this on the news last night.

My thoughts are with you and their families and other friends.

John

Doug 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Moacs: My thoughts are with their friends & family, who must have been thinking they had survived for a short while. I remember a death on a club trip when I was an undergrad which was very painful, two must be unbearable.

I don't know how accurate the piece is there is an article in today's Guardian at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1953074,00.html

SFM 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I didn't see the news last night so just found out the news this morning. Utterly gutting to find out that they didn't make it. My heartfelt condolences go out to all their family and friends.

Blane
stupot 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Very sad news. Events like this always remind me of the three HWUMC guys who died in atrocious conditions when they couldn't find Jean's Hut in 1985.

It must bring back painful memories for the parents/partners of all others who have died.

Some things just aren't worth pushing...
Jules B 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: How awful, can't imagine what they went through. Feel disheartened this morning, condolences to everyone who knew them, friends and family. Good idea (can't remember who suggested it) to give generously to your local MRT just now.
OP DougG 21 Nov 2006
In reply to All:

Here's the report from The Herald.
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/74936.html

Aberdeen P&J here:
http://tinyurl.com/yynnox

Castleman 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Prayers and thoughts for all those involved.
Removed User 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave

This is a really sad start to the season. Thinking about you, and all their other friends and family.
 lowersharpnose 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Doug:

A fitting quote from Glenmore Lodge (out the Guardian article).

..."They lost their lives doing something which was a physical and mental challenge. I would identify them as young people we should be immensely proud of..."

regards
lowerSharpnose
OP DougG 21 Nov 2006
In reply to lowersharpnose:

I have just read that article and was thinking exactly the same thing. A very fine quote from Tim Walker.
 SeeWhat 21 Nov 2006

Thinking of you and all these 2 young guys friends and family. So sad to hear when there had been some hope earlier yesterday.
Snowplod 21 Nov 2006
My condolences to all family, friends and people involved in the rescue. May their climbing continue in heaven.
Chrispy 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Followed this thread all day yesterday, felt the collective sigh of relief when the news came through that they'd been found only for those hopes to be dashed.
Very saddening, My heartfelt sympathies to all those who knew and cared for them.
 Rubbishy 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I am sorry to say the usual idiots have appeared on the newpaper forums.

I wont post a link here.
OP DougG 21 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby:

Yes, noticed that. Very sad.
gourd 21 Nov 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> I am sorry to say the usual idiots have appeared on the newpaper forums.

Wasn't going to post anything here as I consider it inappropriate, but am left wondering who you consider "the usual idiots" to be?

I don't expect an answer of course.
TWINKLETOES 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: My heart goes out to all friends and family, on a very sad day.
 Rubbishy 21 Nov 2006
In reply to gourd:

mailed you
alix 21 Nov 2006
Very sad news. Thinking of their club mates, friends, and families. So sorry.
peng 21 Nov 2006
In reply to grizzpup:
> ...there by the grace of god go we.......
> >
Agree. Speaking as someone who stumbled and floundered their way out of winter camps at the onset of southeasterly blizzards in Sneachda twice in the 1960s at a similar age to these fine young men, I felt so frustrated and saddened to hear what happened to them.

Experience is a series of mistakes, but you need a bit of luck on your side. So sad these lads did not get that.
 stu 21 Nov 2006

The younger lad who died was a younger brother of my girlfriend. This was the first time he had been out climbing in winter, an experience he had been looking forward to for months. I am overwhelmed by the messages of support on this forum, I will pass them on to his family when appropriate.

Stuart Allinson
almost sane 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
My condolences to the families and friends of those who died.

Socking and tragic and sad.
 ArnaudG 21 Nov 2006

Very sad news indeed. Thoughts and condoleances to all who knew them.

A.-
Philbot 21 Nov 2006
In reply to stu:

Please pass on my deepest condolences. I am a club member, and climbed many times with his partner who also tragically lost his life. Our thoughts are with them

Phil Edgley
 Mita 21 Nov 2006
In reply to stu: Please pass on my heart felt condolences to his family....
 Tiggs 21 Nov 2006
In reply to stu: What has happened is truly heartbreaking. My deepest condolences to everyone close to the two young climbers.
 CarolineMc 21 Nov 2006
I was very sad to hear about this last night, and to read about it today. My sincerest condolences to the families and friends of the two guys.

A tragic outcome in such a close knit climbing community always hits hard. The MRT deserve our thanks for their efforts here, and for all they do to help us survive when things take a turn for the worse in the mountains.
 David Birch 21 Nov 2006
Written by Rhian Wood:
I am numbed by this experience as a former member of the Lairig & knowing the older climber very well, & having climbed with him, I can testify to his good level of experience. It is a disgrace some of the things that have been said about them on the newspaper forums, by "armchair" critics. Snow is a hardous thing & many of us have had close shaves from time to time, myself included. However, the older of the two had plenty of experience of the Northern Corries, that corrie inparticular. Infortunately they were unlucky that the weather turned so quickly - from what looked like a lovely morning, with perfect conditions, to the hell that took them.
It will be a sad time for everyone involved & unneccessary scathing comment of "should know better"/"ill equipped" are not what is needed. Life is for living to the full, and that is how these two lads lived thiers.
Bails 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Dangerous Dave: My heart felt condolences to you and families involved .

Very sad

Dave
 Scomuir 21 Nov 2006
My deepest sympathy for the family and friends of the 2 guys. Many people on here will know how challenging the conditions must have been for them not to make it back when so close to the car park.

Sadly, this brings back painful memories from my time in the Lairig Club when one of our party was literally blown of a ridge and killed in 1994. Apart from anything else, I can sympathise with how friends and family will not only have to deal with their loss during this painful time, but also the criticism levelled at the guys and no doubt the university, from the narrow minded and ill-informed.

Scott
 rallymania 21 Nov 2006
In reply to David Birch:
i know what you mean, my first reaction was one of sorrow, then i started asking why they stayed out when their friends aborted. hindsight should always be 20:20 vision but sometimes you don't see the obvious when it's in front of you. plus the reports you hear in the news are always a little different from what the people involved were thinking at the time.
but the thing that stuck out in the bbc report is the MRT said they were found 1 mile from the road without shelter.
i absolutely am not going to second guess the guys involved, i wasn't there and i'm no expert but i'm going to continue my 2 rules of winter mountaineering

1) if there's any doubt in your mind, then there should be no doubt... the hills will still be there next week
2) carry some form of shelter incase of benightment.

if this sounds like i'm dissing the guys i certainly don't intend it to be, i didn't know them and by all accounts they knew exactly what they were doing. all i'm saying is that any life lost on the hills is a tragedy, so lets look out for each other and never be too proud to about face.

i realise i'm opening myself up to abuse by posting this but if it gets people thinking and talking about their approach to what they do out there...
 Nick Beckett 21 Nov 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: True. It's a sobering start to the season. Always makes me think briefly that I'll stop winter stuff but I don't.
I seem to blank it out and go anyway.
Etak 21 Nov 2006
In reply to all: Like others here I have been really sadened by this- think in part it is knowing how close somthing like this is to happening to so many of us so often- and the fact that mostly we get away with it- it seems so unfair that these young lads didn't get away with it

I suspect if it wasn't for the MRT there would be more incidents like this- as a personal reaction to this I am sending them a cheque today

my thoughts are with their families

have a good safe winter evryone

Kate
 mwicks1968 21 Nov 2006
Yes, very sad - condolences to the friends and families of these guys.

However some good can come out of these tragedies - we at Heriot-Watt University Mountaineering Club now benefit from a trust fund set up after a similar tragedy 22 years ago, this time in Coire An Lochain. Graham Bell, Keith Bell and Kieran Connor died in January 1984 whilst returning to ski centre road in similar conditions. Perhaps once the grieving is over something similar could be done for Aberdeen University Mountaineers ( http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/hwumc/bc_memorial_fund.html )

However, my thoughts for now are with Richard and Graham's friends and families - We are thinking of you all at this difficult time.
 Banned User 77 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: That's what I thought, age, name and university graduate tally.
 Mike C 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Yes it is, Doug.
OP DougG 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:

Don't know what to say.
 CJD 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

My thoughts are very much with friends and family. Just awful.
 Mike C 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

That's exactly why I haven't said very much. I've been there & know how differently it can affect people, but also how much any little thing can hurt.
Enough has been said already. Very sad.
mattjames 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

didn't know him, but just read a selection of his UKC postings.
witty and full of life, clearly.

what a great, great shame.
god bless to his family and friends.

matt
 Norrie Muir 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:
> (In reply to DougG)
>
> Yes it is, Doug.

Thanks for the confirmation.

It is not only a loss to his family, but a sad loss to UKC.
Bingly Bong 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: This is just truly truly awful.

Thoughts are with their friends and family.
rich 21 Nov 2006
In reply to mattjames: for those of us 'down here' although connected through UKC that kinda brings it home . . .
 KeithW 21 Nov 2006
In reply to rallymania:

> but if it gets people thinking and talking about their approach to what they do out there...

Not the thread to discuss this. Start a seperate one, please.
mattjames 21 Nov 2006
In reply to rich:

yep.
it's a whole world away, but when something like this happens you feel the connection. that's the human condition, I suppose.
very sad.
 Rubbishy 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:

How very sad. Traded a few emails with him - seemed a good lad.

My deepest condolences to his friends and family.
luke_brown 21 Nov 2006
Shit, didn't realise it was a him. Never met the guy but had a good bit of banter with him on here a little while ago.

At least he went whilst doing what he loved, something we won't all be lucky enough to have. RIP...
 Glyn Jones 21 Nov 2006
In reply to KeithW:
> (In reply to rallymania)
>
> [...]
>
> Not the thread to discuss this. Start a seperate one, please.

in a few days - thanks
 hamish2016 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

A great shame.

His thread about extreme sledging was particularly entertaining, It sounds like he was a thoroughly nice guy!

Hamish
 teddy_simmon 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: condolences too his family it really makes you remember how serious thing can get out there
 Mehmet Karatay 21 Nov 2006
In reply to mattjames:

I just can't stop thinking about what their families must be going through. How do you express what you feel to anyone who doesn't understand the love of the mountains? Hopefully people who knew them will know how much the mountains meant to them and therefor understand.

I can't explain what I'm feeling well, hopefully this made some sense.

mehmet
 Carless 21 Nov 2006

Grim news.

Sincere condolences to families and friends.
IbexJim 21 Nov 2006
In reply to stu:
Very sad, it sounds so much like they never gave up, but were overwhelmed. They are in many people's thoughts.
In reply to Mike C:

Shit, thats terrible news. I remember reading his thread about sledging down lochnagar:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=212694

I remember reading that and laughing alot. Seemed like a nice bloke with a grand sense of humour.
 Mike C 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:
> (In reply to Mike C)

> I remember reading that and laughing alot. Seemed like a nice bloke with a grand sense of humour.

I didn't know him very well, but the one thing that struck me about him was his great enthusiasm for the mountains & climbing.
 ericoides 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

very, very sad. condolences to family and friends.
 london_huddy 21 Nov 2006
Given that some of the stuff coming out in print seems to mirror some info given on here - perhaps people might wish to think for a second before giving info on here, which might feed any journos.
Evil Weevil 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
Really don't know what to say. My deepest sympathies to all who have been touched by this tragedy.
 Mal Grey 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Deepest, deepest sympathies to the family & friends involved. Huge thanks to the MRT & all who put in such an effort to try & rescue the lads.

I followed the thread yesterday until it seemed all was well, only to see the news later. Gutted.

Very sad. Nothing else to say at this time.

alasdair19 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Glyn Jones: i met cooper last summer in the alps, just hanging out at the argenteire campsite. the aberdeen lads were a cool, switched on and v friendly crew. I climbed with one of them and would have liked to climb with cooper.

his family, friends and loved ones have my deepest sympathy. They didn't do anything wrong, they did what they loved and made them tick.

Earlier comment on luck and experiance was spot on. though didn't lack experiance. Mountaineering is something that gets more dangerous with more involvement. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.
 Jim Fraser 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

There was obviously a bit of confusion in some quarters about whether or not these guys were found alive. Let's remember that severe hypothermia is the best condition that could have been expected for the casualties and that for a death through hypothermia the casualty is not regarded as dead until they are warm and dead. This would explain the reports that, though not hopeful, left open the possibility of a positive outcome.

Have a safe season out there everybody.

In reply to Jim Fraser:

Exactly, have safe season. It seems conditions started out good and gradually deteriated, especially with others making it out safe. You can do what you can do but still, shit happens. A sobering thread.

Good effort lads, were proud. Rest in peace.
James M Wheater 21 Nov 2006
In reply to everyone:

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and sympathy on behalf of Richard and Graeme's friends.

This was truly a tragedy and both Richard and Graeme fought so hard that night i think is a testiment to there determination that they made it so far in some of the worst conditions i have experienced on the mountains. Both lads were as well equipped as anyone experienced in winter climbing would have been on a similar day out. The MR team did an exeptional job in the circumstances.

Our deepest sympathies go out to both families at this difficult time.

Graeme and Richard you will both be deeply missed
Shine on
Isabela 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Truely a terrible set of circumstances that caught the lads out. There can only be a feeling of loss for the whole climbing community. On a personal level a feeling of numbness. I find it all the more shocking as he was a friend of my daughter and her B/F, and have heard his name and seen his picture many times after various club trips. Being a climber of many years standing myself this isn't the first time I've come across this sickening loss losing friends myself and frends of friends, it just doesn't get any easier. I would like to wish the winter climbers amounst you to take care and have a good and safe season this year and all years to come. Just make sure you have them and enjoy them! Also to the family friends my sincere condolences all our thoughts are with you.

Isabela
 Andy S 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Wow, I'm shocked. Looks like they took all reasonable precautions. Wild weather. Very sad indeed. Condolences to all who knew them and especially their families.
 gartmorn 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Didn't find out about this tragedy until I was at work today. My sicerest sympathy to all concerned on, what has turned out to be, a dark day for Scottish mountaineering.

Gartmorn
 Dangerous Dave 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: This post of Coopers sums him up
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=212694&v=1#3119732

He was a great character and I will miss him greatly. There ain't many coopers about!
bazk 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
A very sad loss of young life.
 Paul Atkinson 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: A tragic loss of young life. My deepest sympathies. I hope their loved ones can take some small comfort from the feelings expressed on here

Paul
 SebCa 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: condolences, a very sad loss of life
is there anything we can do keep his memories/plans alive? for example: design a t-shirt of his latest future exped http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=212694, the money raised goes towards something the family would like? ? ? just an idea? Same for the other lad?
 Paul Manson 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I will miss Cooper very much he was a truly unique character with a great wit and a real love for life.

He loved being out in the hills whether climbing, walking or skiing and equally enjoyed the company of fellow outdoors folk in a bothy or in the pub where he always had plenty of stories to tell. Rest in peace.
psd 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:
> (In reply to Mike C)
>
> Shit, that's terrible news. I remember reading his thread about sledging down lochnagar:

Same here - and same reaction- I'd started keeping an eye out for his posts after the sledging. I guess his family and friends knew he was capable of making lots of people laugh even though he'd never met them - and it wasn't a bad skill to have.

I really try not to add to these threads, but with it being someone that I was aware of has set me thinking of something I once read (I paraphrase wildly, as I can't find the original quote):

Sometimes the mountain has to win. It doesn't make it easier or right, but neither does it mean they act out of malice or cruelty. They are simply being mountains. Some people are simply climbers, and sometimes they pay a heavy price for being true to themselves. May they rest in peace amongst the hills they loved.
TMW 21 Nov 2006
In reply to psd:

Sometimes the mountain has to win. It doesn't make it easier or right, but neither does it mean they act out of malice or cruelty. They are simply being mountains. Some people are simply climbers, and sometimes they pay a heavy price for being true to themselves. May they rest in peace amongst the hills they loved.

What a wonderful quote.
 Graham T 21 Nov 2006
In reply to psd:
An amazing quote
 peterjb 21 Nov 2006
Its been a sad couple of days following this.

The mountains we all love often have a sting in the tail.

The right words are hard to find but reading this thread and looking through some of Coopers posts makes me appreciate everything that mountaineering encompasses.

Once these sad days have passed I will have a silent moment peering down (or up) black spout and Coopers memory will live on.

My deepest condolences to family and friends.

Jasonic 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Very sad, condolences to family and friends.
 Niall 21 Nov 2006
In reply to James M Wheater:

I feel like I knew these two guys, having followed the thread all day yesterday. Was relieved that they'd been found, and gutted to hear they hadn't made it. I'm very moved by all the outpouring of sympathy, much of it from those of us who never even met these two lads.

James, I think we'd all appreciate it if you were able to pass on our messages to Graeme and Richards family and friends, along with our deepest sympathies.
Grant A Cooper 21 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Id just like to say thank you to all who have left messages on the forum, my brother was a great guy, all he talked about was the outdoors, thats what he lived for, on behalf of the rest of my family thank you

Grant A Cooper

martin riddell 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Grant A Cooper:

Stand Free

(thats what your bro used to correspond with me on here anyway - we both shared the same common interests)

I was in corie an t-sneadchda on Sunday as well but we left esrlier, managed to get back to the ski station at around 17.00ish, not much of a difference between success and failure

Again, Stand Free

Condolances

So sorry about this. I wish I had known him. It could have been any of us and life is so cruel. Please accept my condolances.
 Steve Parker 21 Nov 2006

My heartfelt condolences, Grant. I've suffered a sibling bereavement, and I know that words mean very little. It's the most moving and terrible sequence of events. I guess all of us feel that we knew your brother a little, even if we only had a bit of interaction here, and are also climbers. He sounds like a special young guy.
Jules.G 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Niall: I wanted to thank you all for your messages of condolance. Richard was my cousin and had a real enthusiasm for life and the outdoors and we are devestated by his loss. Keep climbing and have a safe winter. Xx

I think it is true that the vast majority of UKC posters have been thinking about you and your two families tonight, and your terrible loss. I think the spokesman for Glenmore Lodge summed it up perfectly. My sincerest condolences.
 martin riddell 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Jules.G:
> (In reply to Niall) I wanted to thank you all for your messages of condolance. Richard was my cousin and had a real enthusiasm for life and the outdoors and we are devestated by his loss. Keep climbing and have a safe winter. Xx

Jules, your kind thoughts for our future safety on the hills whilst in your deepest hour of need speaks volumes for you, and your affection for your cousin and his appreciation for the great outdoors.

Thanks.
 stomach 21 Nov 2006
In reply to martin riddell:
> (In reply to Jules.G)
> [...]
>
>
> Jules, your kind thoughts for our future safety on the hills whilst in your deepest hour of need speaks volumes for you, and your affection for your cousin and his appreciation for the great outdoors.
>
> Thanks.

I would like to second that!

The content of this thread is a powerful and moving tribute and memorial to two guys, loved and respected by family and friends, who had a passion shared by many of us on this forum!

It is a tradgedy that can happen to any of us, yet we continue to follow our passion and love!
I for one will think of these guys when I get out into the hills!
They died doing what they love.

Condolences to family and friends.

Matt
fin8984 22 Nov 2006
I last saw Graeme last week at a climbing lecture. He was full of enthusiasm and banter, as always. He was one of the all-time characters of the club and his antics are legendary.
I didnt know Richard so well - but he seemed an incredibly enthusiastic, fit, keen guy who lived for the hills.

This tragedy has saddened so many people.

They must have been SO determined to get so close to safety in such atrocious weather. They just couldn't make it.

They will be remembered.

Finlay Wild

Yrmenlaf 22 Nov 2006
In reply to fin8984:

I didn't know these guys, but reading this thread find myself almost wishing I did.

Just want to say again that my thoughts and prayers are with all of the loved ones of these lads.

Y.
OP DougG 22 Nov 2006
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Minute's silence being observed today in memory of Richard and Graham.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/6172046.stm
jelly 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

I've been following this thread and the news for these last few days, it's just devastating to hear about the loss of these two young lives and my thoughts are with the friends and families of the two. There's nothing to be said but to repeat what has already been expressed:

Rest in peace.
Anonymous 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

My deepest condolences to friends and family.

Ridge
 Banned User 77 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Terrible, I hope the guys at the club aren't put off the hills by these terrible few days. Only 'knowing' Cooper through the forum, but it seemed to me that would be the last thing he'd want to happen. The one thing that shone through above all else was his passion for getting out in the highlands.
 Glyn Jones 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: As with many of the sentiments here I'd also like to quote something from Nick Bullock's article. I hope I do not offend anyone with this but I think it sums up a perspective of the mountains I can understand having not ventured much in terms of winter mountaineering.

"Brutality is something I equate to the mountains, but the mountains are not brutal. People are brutal. Death and injury, disfigurement and distress occur in the mountains, but the mountain has no soul. Occasionally being in the wrong place at the wrong time or sheer bad luck takes a toll. Sometimes a mistake or a bad decision, or when ego and ambition get in the way, accidents happen." - Nick Bullock.

To all for this season - stay safe, enjoy and come back and tell us how great it was.

To friends and family, again my condolences to two brave chaps.
In reply to DougG:

I like many others only knew Cooper through this site. He always came across as a decent guy and someone I would very much have liked to have spent some time with in the hills which he seemed to love so much.

Robert Burns said it best.

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birth-place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands forever I love.

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands, a-chasing the deer;
Chasing the wild-deer, and following the roe,
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

Farewell to the mountains, high-cover'd with snow,
Farewell to the straths and green vallies below;
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods,
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

My heart's in the Highlands.

It could so easily have been any one of us out there on Sunday night.

My thoughts are with the two young men and their families and friends.

Andy
 Stevos 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: Will miss both you guys - both of you lived your lifes to the full.

Rest in peace

Steve Addy
agent 22 Nov 2006
In reply to Stevos:
I employed Graeme 4 months ago ..... was a super guy, and his passing has left a large void in our office. He was very much looking forward to the climb at the weekend ....

Our thoughts are with boys guys families
RIP
 SWalls 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
You couldn't spend a single minute with Cooper without him somehow making you laugh and Richard was one of the most driven people I have ever known. Both had an enthusiasm and love for the mountains which was so contageous. We'll miss you both so much. Thanks for the great times I got to spend with you both.

Condolences to the families.
 ontour 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Very sad. Next time im in the hills i will be climbing for Richard and Graeme.

Richard Hardy 22 Nov 2006
In reply to everyone

Written by Joanne Hardy

My family and I have just read through the whole of this thread. We are overwhelmed by the sheer number of people who have offered their condolences. Richard was a wonderful brother and son and we are so proud of how much he achieved in his almost nineteen years. Although he had only just joined the university he loved climbing and hiking in the mountains. By all accounts he made quite an impression on everyone he met there.

Joanne and family
Dnwsmith 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

My deapest sympathy and thoughts go out to family and friends. A great loss.

fly boys, fly......
 Graham T 22 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
Why is it i get the funny feeling that there are a couple of blokes having a right laugh flying up and down all the snowy gullies in scotland right now.
Condolences to everyone who cared about both of them
Donald 22 Nov 2006
In reply to Richard Hardy: Deepest sympathy to family and friends, from the Aberdeen Mountaineering Club.
This tragedy has saddened so many people. What a tribute that so many have made comment here (and on the Lairig site), including both families. People who did not know them, feel the loss. How much harder for those who did. They died doing what they and many others enjoy. The reminder to stay safe has come at huge cost.
We hope that in time some lasting and fitting tribute can be made.
In reply to DougG:

Deepest sympathies and most heartfelt condolences to their families and friends from all Italian climbers.

I feel especially sorry for Cooper - he seemed like a very fine chap.
Alphin 22 Nov 2006
Such sad news, my thoughts are with the families and friends of the climbers, Richard and Graeme.
 Rob Naylor 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Mike C:
> (In reply to DougG)
>
> Yes it is, Doug.

Oh, no. I never met him, but he seemed like a good lad, from his posts.

I was so excited on looking out from Findhorn last Saturday morning and seeing all the hills on the other side of the Firth covered in snow. The snow in my photos doesn't look quite so appealing now.
Dick 23 Nov 2006
I was sorry to hear this sad news. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

My thoughts are with you all as you come to terms with your loss.

Dick Barrett
 JoH - Editor 23 Nov 2006
Alan,

I don't know if you will read this. Just discovered. You are in my thoughts. In all our thoughts.

Jo (SSSL)
Anonymous 23 Nov 2006
Very sad news.

This is a piece that I would wish to have if anything happened to me in the mountains.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

I believe it was by an airman lost during the war.
 Lawman 23 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

My deepest condolences go to the family and friends of both lads. A tragic event that touches all, even those that don't know them, because we all know the spirit that exists between climbers and mountaineers.

Rich
In reply to DougG:

Very sad.

Silence for Cairngorms climbers ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/6172046.stm
Louise Moroney 23 Nov 2006
Grant, so sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your brother Graeme. I have lost two brothers in recent years and know how difficult life can be without them.
I hope in time you and your family find solace in knowing he was doing something he loved.
Thinking of you,
Louise,Bruce,Liam,Kieran Moroney.
matt25 23 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
Would just like to add my condolences to those already given. I feel there will be many people in the hills this weekend with those boys on their mind.
Matt
Barry 23 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Deepest condolances to both Graeme and Richard families. I went to school with Graeme, and always thought of him as a friendly, outgoing guy and not surprised to hear he loved the outdoors. I hope you find some comfort knowing he was doing something he loved and was passionate about.

I'll be thinking about both families during these tough times and will be thinking of you guys next time i'm on the hills

craig ross 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Grant A Cooper: just like to say so sorry to hear about the deaths of the 2 young climbers they will be grately missed didnt really no the guys but new grahams brother and if he was anything like him he would have been a really charecter and a gud guy r.i.p craig ross
 matt22 23 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG: i spent all eek thinking they were safe and have only just realised the devstating truth. my thoughts and condolences are with the friends and families, how tragic a loss.
In reply to Anonymous:
I had just been re-reading Ian Thomson's book " The Black Cloud" last week. The first chapter is about the loss of Baird and Barrie in Gleann Einich in similar conditions in 1928- they were trying to get from Corrour bothy over Braeriach to a bothy that was at that time in Gleann Einich - like one of these poor lads, Barrie's body was found only a few hundred yards from the bothy and shelter. They were also young and were university students(Glasgow). Hugh Barrie was also something of a poet and had written this the year before he perished in the blizzard:
When I am dead
And this strange spark of life that in me lies
Is fled to join the great white core of life
That surely flames beyond eternities,
and all I ever thought of as myself
Is mouldering to dust and cold death ash,
The pride of nerve and muscle- Merest dross,
This joy of brain and eye and touch but trash,
Bury me not I pray thee,
In the dark earth where comes not any ray
Of light or warmth or aught that made life dear;
But take my withered bones far, far away
Out of the hum and turmoil of the town,
Find me a wind-swept boulder for a bier
And on it lay me down
Where far beneath drops sheer the rocky ridge
Down to the gloomy valley, and the streams
Fall foaming white against black beetling rocks;
Where the sun's kindly radiance seldom gleams;
Where some tall peak, defiant, steadfast mocks
The passing gods;and all the ways of men
Forgotten.

So I may know
Even in that death that comes to everything
The swiftly silent swish of hurrying snow;
The lash of rain; the savage bellowing
Of stags;the bitter keen-knife-edge embrace of the rushing wind;
And the still tremulous dawn
Will touch the eyeless sockets of my face;
And I shall see the sunset and anon
Shall know the velvet kindness of the night
And see the stars.

Rest in peace, lads
 Marmot Catcher 23 Nov 2006
My sincere thoughts for Graeme and Richards family and friends. It's been on the local news every day, front pages, on the radio. People at work are all touched by this tragedy but what brings it home for me is that it has happened in a place we all know very well. I've spent many days in and around there and although I never knew Graeme or Richard I know others that did here in Aberdeen - I will always remember them.
 Smelly Fox 24 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:
My deepest condolences to the family and friends of two well liked members of the community. Rest in peace guys.

Trist
 Fume Troll 24 Nov 2006
Truly tragic. My thoughts are with the people who loved these fine young men.

Tom.
 lummox 24 Nov 2006
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale: I love that poem.
 Guy 24 Nov 2006
Very sorry to hear this sad news. Rest in piece in a beautiful place.
Anonymous 24 Nov 2006
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

beautiful, and I suspect many people might have reflected on similar thoughts from time to time
 Bill Davidson 24 Nov 2006
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

First time I've heard that, what a beautiful poem & in the circumstances very apt. RIP lads
 andy hunter 24 Nov 2006
In reply to Bill Davidson: the black cloud is a book well worth reading and thinking about. heavily recomend it. the poem has real resonance. very sad to lose folk, especially so young. my deepest sympathies to their families and friends.
ahunter
Alan G. Cooper 25 Nov 2006
To Everyone

Alison,Grant and I have been truly amazed and
overwhelmed by all the messages.

We thank each and every one of you for your support at
this time.

Graeme lives on in all of our hearts.

Alan.
peng 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Alan G. Cooper:
Clearly, mountain lovers, wherever they are, and whatever age(I am 61), are members of a particularly empathetic brotherhood.

cookty 25 Nov 2006
In reply to peng: Deepest thoughts to all the people that knew and loved these 2 guys, from reading this thread i only wish i could have known a pair of guys like these, and my condolences are with there family and friends.

Rest in peace

Daniel
In reply to DougG:
It's kinda belated, but I would like to add my deepest condolences to the friends and families of these 2 young men. You're in our thoughts and hearts.
Baldwin 27 Nov 2006
In reply to Richard Hardy:

My family was so shocked to hear about the loss of Richard and his fellow climber and friend Graeme.

We live in Alton and I have spoken to many people who are still in disbelief at this tragic news.

Richard was such a lovely lad and a great example to my two lads at cadets. I spoke to him many times whilst with my boys and know that he will be greatly missed.

Should you decide to have a memorial service for Richard, would you please let us know as I know my eldest Ashley and many other have expressed their wish to attend.

To both families please accept our most sincere and heartfelt wishes, as a mother I can not even start to comprehend the pain you must all be feeling. Our love and thoughts are with you all.
Nicola S 27 Nov 2006
In reply to others:

I would just like to add my condolences to the friends and family of Richard and Graeme.

I met Graeme on a couple of occasions and was struck by his complete enthusiasm for winter climbing and although he was quite a good climber, he was very encouraging to those with lesser abilities. He was so full of energy.

So sorry to hear about these tragic events. Something that could have happened to any one of us.

My thoughts are with their loved ones.

Ben C 28 Nov 2006
In reply to Nicola S: Is there anymore info on what happened? What route they were on, where exactly they were etc. Not being morbid just want to learn from it.
 Paul Manson 28 Nov 2006
In reply to DougG:

Cooper was truely a 'dude of all disciplines' with an effortless and infectious zeal for life.

Richard I did not know, but plainly both lads were integral to such a meaningful community.

Being in the mountains is not only about personal fulfillment but sharing, and being part of that something bigger. All individuals in this world live in an environment that far extends the boundaries of bricks and mortar. Graeme and Richard simply had an appetite for exploring their natural world and that is something that everyone can aspire to.

Their spirit will live on!

Heart felt condolences to families and friends - your thoughts are shared by many.

Sarah
(University of Stirling/Lairig 2002-2004)
sue merriman 28 Nov 2006
In reply to Alan G. Cooper: I just learned your tragic news. I can't tell you how truley saddened and devastated we feel. I wish we didn't live so far away. I know there is nothing I can say to take away your pain. please know our hearts and prayers are with you in this most difficult of times. I will be calling soon-allisons # as I don't have yours. love to all suzy merriman and family
jimmyv 28 Nov 2006
i'm fraid i'm not there for the ceremony tomorrow,
coop pushed the boundaries in all warps of life,
but he dwelt within the sensibility that we all share,
and i'm gutted for his bad luck....
never met richard, but he sounds like the sort who eventually makes lairig legend.... so i hope his memories remains in members minds for positive influence that i'm sure his being would have done,
peace be with you both
 woolsack 28 Nov 2006

To the Cooper and Richards families. I hope you can find some special strength to help you through tomorrow and the days that follow. I hope the sense of brotherhood and sympathy for your loss on here might have helped you to understand that a great many people are thinking of you at this time. My brother died climbing 20 years ago in June aged 18, he died doing what he enjoyed doing most, from that I get a small amount of solace. Time has helped. You come to live with it better. Sincerest condolences
Alan G. Cooper 04 Dec 2006
In reply to woolsack:

Thank you for your kind thoughts. The many messages we have received have meant a great deal to us.

We are sorry to hear of your loss in similar circumstances.

It does give us some comfort knowing graeme died whilst doing something he loved so much.

Alan, Alison& Grant Cooper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...