UKC

NEWS: Rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 30 Oct 2006
A new study by Dr Adam D. Sylvester has found that rock climbing does not increase risk of osteoarthritis and that,

"Climber’s finger and hand bones are, however, greater in cross-sectional area and total width, indicating that additional bone is being deposited on the external surface, not usually seen in adults. The strength of the finger and hand bones are correlated with styles of climbing that emphasize athletic difficulty. Significant predictors include the highest levels achieved in bouldering and sport climbing.”

More in the news at UKClimbing.com

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 woolsack 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Dont bother clicking the link to the journal of anatomy unless you want to learn a whole new language. BTW the first link ion the news page is dead

If I read that correctly? the bones get stronger but what about the joints? what happens there? they still wear out through above average loadings?
 Si dH 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Is there evidence to sugges the bones have grown, rather than that the top climbers had thicker bones inthe first place?
 woolsack 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH: If that were true then the more you climb the heavier you would get despite taking care to keep weight down wherever possible. Damn
 Alan Stark 31 Oct 2006

Try telling that to my fingers -- and I'm not a particularly hard or regular climber.

I wonder over what age ranges and duration of climbers careers the study took place?

As soon as I do anything remotely crimpy, the joints are in pain for days afterwards. It puts a stop to any regular climbing or training. Glucosamine appears to help - but not significantly.

A family history of arthritis is probably the main cause. Climbing merely aggravates the condition.
 Jon Read 31 Oct 2006
They're only looking at hands and fingers. Has anyone done any study on the downside of stuffing our poor feet into overly tight 5.10 clams for 20 years? My toe joints certainly think they should.
 sutty 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Jon Read:

So true, my left foot is the largest and the big toe has a permanent bend towards the others on that foot, and needs fusing if I wanted to climb hard on it.
 tobyfk 31 Oct 2006
In reply to duncan:

Looks like the news-führer deleted your post!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...