UKC

NEWS: Annabelle Bond OBE for services to Mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 02 Aug 2006
Celeb mountaineer gets OBE in the Queens Birthday Honours list.

More in the news

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Fiend 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

What services to mountaineering?
 Rubbishy 02 Aug 2006

Professional trustarian fund raiser gets gets gong.

Stockport housewife who has spent the last 14 days at the side of her critically ill foster daughter's bed while still looking after 3 other fostered / adopted special needs children, amongst all the other she and her husband have cared for ove the last 20 years gets, erm, sod all.
 lummox 02 Aug 2006
In reply to John Rushby:

Aren`t these things almost inevitably given to types like this ? Surely that`s the point ?
Wingman@work 02 Aug 2006
In reply to lummox:

no there not.

this really takes the f*cking biscuit. I've tried to be balanced in my view of this women and her achievements but this is absurd.

Having said that, it's not her fault, she didn't give it to herself!

Wonder if we should get the BMC on the case! lol.
Wingman@work 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Wingman@work:
they're.

why can't we have an edit function!
Clauso 02 Aug 2006

What's she ever done on grit?
Anonymous 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Clauso:

What's she ever done?

Getting dragged up a route by a guide doesn't count as "doing" a route.
 Mick Ward 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

OBE - Other Bug*ers' Efforts??

Mick
Ady Short 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I'm sure by doing all the Mountaineering she has done she must know her stuff by now, she has just had the opportunity and the cash to do more than we ever could, her bio says she has climbed in chile, new zealand etc. She's obviously very fit and her aim to give to charity is commendable, however she has served no function in services to mountaineering and therefore doesn't deserve an OBE there are many more deserving people out there. I assume her family is connected in some way and have probably given some cash to a political party.
 Ridge 02 Aug 2006
> (In reply to lummox)
>
>
> this really takes the f*cking biscuit. I've tried to be balanced in my view of this women and her achievements but this is absurd.

Agreed.
brothersoulshine 02 Aug 2006

Is she that one that did the biggest amount of pop shots ever?
tri-nitro-tuolumne 02 Aug 2006

She has raised oodles of cash for charity (cancer I think), so I think she does deserve an OBE, but maybe not in the name of climbing.
 Postmanpat 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Ady Short:
I assume her family is connected in some way and have probably given some cash to a political party.

Why do you assume that ? I assume it's not possible she got it because she is high profile photogenic charity raiser ?

In reply to Ridge:

What an utter load of bollox - typical celeb hype.

It's like when Lady Isabella-Harvery-Victoria (whatever her name is) started climbing and she started featuring on totally photo-shopped pictures in magasines making out what an extreme climber she was! For God sake, she had to hire an MIA instructor to take her bouldering at the Westway!!
 CJD 02 Aug 2006

it is a rather good illustration of the utter incomprehensibleness of the selection process for these things. And, I suspect, of their pointlessness.

Monk 02 Aug 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> Professional trustarian fund raiser gets gets gong.
>
> Stockport housewife who has spent the last 14 days at the side of her critically ill foster daughter's bed while still looking after 3 other fostered / adopted special needs children, amongst all the other she and her husband have cared for ove the last 20 years gets, erm, sod all.

Do you know the war poem by A.A.Milne about OBEs?
Very similar sentiments to yours.
Wingman@work 02 Aug 2006

I wonder if a few eloquently written letters in the right places might get it changed to services for charity or something.

I've no objection to her getting an OBE for the money she has raised, but it really shouldn't be linked to climbing/mountaineering in anyway - it has simply been a vehicle for her to raise the money, she has made any contribution to the 'sport'.
 Monk 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Monk:

"O.B.E.

I know a Captain of Industry, Who made big bombs for the R.F.C., And collared a lot of L s. d.-- And he--thank God!--has the O.B.E.

I know a Lady of Pedigree, Who asked some soldiers out to tea, And said "Dear me!" and "Yes, I see"-- And she--thank God!--has the O.B.E.

I know a fellow of twenty-three, Who got a job with a fat M.P.-- (Not caring much for the Infantry.) And he--thank God!--has the O.B.E.

I had a friend; a friend, and he Just held the line for you and me, And kept the Germans from the sea, And died--without the O.B.E. Thank God! He died without the O.B.E."
Edward Sloperhands66792164632142 02 Aug 2006

Yeah, but she's well fit, makes a change from the usual fat knackers with grey hair!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Utter crap.
Why Kosciosko (sp?!) instead of the much taller and more challenging Carstenz Pyramid, anyway? That's not my main objection of course. It's just so much PR bullshit. Wouldn't kick her out of bed, mind. But the wife might.
Ady Short 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Postmanpat: I was being sarcastic!
William Bovine Excreta 02 Aug 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

> But the wife might.

She's not very adventurous then?

Chris the Tall 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to Ady Short)
> I assume her family is connected in some way and have probably given some cash to a political party.
>
> Why do you assume that ? I assume it's not possible she got it because she is high profile photogenic charity raiser ?

Her Dad is John Bond, ex-head honcho of HSBC, no political connections as far as I know.

She's raised a million quid, not sure how much HSBC sponsored her but they are quite big on their charity

In reply to Monk:

Very true. There are probably hundreds of totally deserving selfless O.B.E holders, but honours do seem to go to those with the sharpest elbows and talent for self promotion.

Davie
In reply to William Bovine Excreta: No, she prefers brunettes
William Bovine Excreta 123456 02 Aug 2006

From her website, "There are only 78 people in the world so far who have achieved this and I think under 7 of them are woman",so would that be 6 then?

How many of them have an income under £100k per annum?
Clauso 02 Aug 2006

Unbelievably, I've just received an email from Annabelle! She must lurk on these forums?

She ticked me off mildly for my "What has she ever done on grit?" comment and told me that she's really looking forward to the next UKC picnic so that she can go along, get to meet everybody and show off her gong. She sounds really nice. She said that she'll bring along a bottle or two of Pimms and is looking forward to wrestling Rushby to the floor... Naked or clothed, she doesn't mind.
Simon22 02 Aug 2006
In reply to William Bovine Excreta 123456:

"There are only 78 people in the world so far who have achieved this and I think under 7 of them are woman",

There are probably even less mountaineers in the world that actually give a f*ck.................
Clauso 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Clauso:

P.S. She went on to say that her mountaineering OBE must surely qualify her for a free UKC T-shirt. If you don't cough-up with one, her Daddy knows some nasy men in the USAshire who'd be only too happy to call around and trash the Ryan family gaff. She concluded by mooting ideas for a 7 Summits Rockfax.
 steve taylor 02 Aug 2006

Blimey - her personal website is blocked by SurfControl at work.

Am I missing something?
Clauso 02 Aug 2006
In reply to steve taylor:
>
> Am I missing something?

Not really....
 Martin W 02 Aug 2006

> Having said that, it's not her fault, she didn't give it to herself!

But she would have been approached before the honour was officially announced. She could have turned it down at that point, or asked them to amend the wording.

I have no issue with her being recognised for raising a lot of cash for charity, but to call her seven summits "services to mountaineering" is stretching credibility more than somewhat. If I was Alan Hinkes I'd be asking for an upgrade
Clauso 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Martin W:
>
> .. but to call her seven summits "services to mountaineering" is stretching credibility more than somewhat.

Exactly, while I can appreciate her fitness and perseverance in ticking them all off, it's not exactly something that sets the world of mountaineering alight and there's the rub re. an OBE for services to mountaineering?... I'd have been more impressed if she'd climbed them all in the company of Andy Kirkpatrick, allowing him to lead her up each summit by 'interesting' new routes.

Rubbishy 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Clauso:

Well, her charity fundraising is formidable, but why not someone like Anne Arran or Julie Ann Clyma - both of whom are females out there doing impressive new and existing routes, and have been for some time?
Clauso 02 Aug 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Darren Jackson)
>
> Well, her charity fundraising is formidable,...

That's really what the gong is for, isn't it? She might have achieved the same with a sponsored trolley dash around Harrods...

Anyhow, I've just realised that I'm posting on the RT forum. I don't know what came over me. I'm clearing off back to the Chat Room now to talk my usual gibberish...
OP Michael Ryan 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Clauso:
> (In reply to Clauso)
>
> She concluded by mooting ideas for a 7 Summits Rockfax.

I think Craggsy is already working on that one!

Simon Caldwell 02 Aug 2006
This is no worse than giving knighthoods to the likes of Tom Jones. Most honours (other than the token toilet-cleaner type awards) go to those that the general public are most likely to have heard of, rather than those most deserving.

No-one actually takes them seriously do they?
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Cease and desist from this slander - she is the worlds fastest woman climber...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1546268,00.html

Good to see she likes a good muffin.
 Simon Caldwell 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:
I hadn't realised before that the Seven Summits were the highest mountains in the world. Anyone know which route she took up K2?
 abarro81 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: if this wasn't posted by the UKC team I'd be shouting TROLL!!
Clauso 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
>
> I hadn't realised before that the Seven Summits were the highest mountains in the world...

Boy, is she going to pissed off if that's what she'd been led to believe and now has to return to knock-off K2, Kangchenjunga, Lhotse, Makalu, Cho-Oyu and Dhaulagiri! ... She might even lose her gong for fibbing to the Queen.

Anyhow, isn't it time that the OBE had a name change? What with Britain no longer having an empire and all that? ... Maybe it might be changed to just the OB - Order of Britain? Or just do away with the thing altogether and present the winners with Blue Peter Badges instead?
Simon22 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:
> (In reply to Simon Caldwell)
>
> Cease and desist from this slander - she is the worlds fastest woman climber...
>
> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly/story/0,,1546268,00.html
>
> Good to see she likes a good muffin.

I now see where I am going wrong, it's my diet. Instead of her:

Pre-climb meal: pasta, chocolate, power bars

I have a greasy bacon sarnie and 2 paracetmol to get rid of the headache from the previous nights 8 pints. Mind you it worked for Don Whillans.......

sdavies141 02 Aug 2006
I agree with the sentiment stated above, things likenthe honours list are alot of BS when they are given out to someone who basically is just a lame celeb, It makes me so pissed off. My grandma was given an OBE because she has spent the last 30 years looking after orphans in russia, she does it selflessly, and sacrificved alot to achieve that.

The point that she raised money for a cancer charity is a fair one, but realistacally how many thousand and thousands of people do the same (e.g. running the london marathon?)

If someone should be given an OBE for mountaineering it should be someone that has done great things but been humble and conciously acted in that way, and yet inspired many people to be involved in our sport, (eric jones anyone?)

Al Evans 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Excuse , must have got the date wrong, its not April 1 st is it ????????????
Bogsy 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Ridge:

Yeah, but she's got lovely jugs though
 francoisecall 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Bogsy: She is friendly with royals.
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Clauso:
>Maybe it might be changed to just the OB - Order of Britain?

Sorry! Already taken, and a rather nice pint too!
 GrahamD 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Bogsy:

Certainly better looking than, say, a Fowler or a Kirkpatrick although it would be nice to think the award was based on something less shallow. Can't think what, though - better press agent, probably.
 Laubie 03 Aug 2006

Giving her an OBE is the biggest slap in the face to mountaineering. Another rich girl with connectionspropably daddies) Well Done lass...
 Laubie 03 Aug 2006

Can we forward this forum to her website?

She is propably too busy having lunch at the Ritz planning her next expedition to Climb her four poster bed. She will propably get an award for service to mankind for that too.

Banned User 77 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Ridge: Seconded, she's done a lot of good, obviously and a fit and determined women, but an OBE?

My old mans got one for a lifetimes work in Engineering, brought hundreds/maybe thousands of jobs into Yorkshire and the UK, and millions of pounds of investment.

Rather devalues the system.
 Tyler 03 Aug 2006

It's an outrage, Rebecca Stevens only got an MBE!
Removed User 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Postmanpat:
I'm sure her old man is Very Very high up in HSBC. So maybe given the present political climate Ady isn't too far from the mark.

Anyway; it only affects your blood pressure getting annoyed at these gong, on the whole they are a heap of shite and are increasingly used to make sure the politicos and the tax doging Germans to show that they are in touch with the people.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Aug 2006
In reply to IainR UKC:
> My old mans got one for a lifetimes work in Engineering, brought hundreds/maybe thousands of jobs into Yorkshire and the UK, and millions of pounds of investment.

> Rather devalues the system.

That's a bit harsh on your dad isn't it?
 Rubbishy 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Lego:

Her website with the gratuitous and frankly banal "sexy" shots has looks like one of those swinging sites, or so CJD tels me
 Ridge 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Lego:
>
> http://www.wetasschronicles.com/archives/images/AnnabelleBond1.jpg

That link promised so much and delivered so little
Wingman@work 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Removed User:

her old man doesn't work for HSCB anymore. He is chairman of Vodafone.
Wingman@work 03 Aug 2006

or even HSBC while he's at it
 Simon Caldwell 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Ridge:
> That link promised so much and delivered so little

Even the 6th time you looked at it?
Jonah 03 Aug 2006
Who ?
 SFM 03 Aug 2006

Who can we nominate for an honour then? Surely there are enough folk on here to successfully nominate a WORTHY individual.

Guidance notes
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/downloadable/dft_...

Application form
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_about/documents/downloadable/dft_...
 rock waif 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Fiend:
>
> What services to mountaineering?

Hmm sounds like she serviced lots of mountaineers. Services to charity fundraising would have been more appropriate as others have said.

I can think of plenty of worthy people to nominate.

unclemidge 03 Aug 2006

She's got a decent pair of tits, what's the problem here?
S Pleasington 03 Aug 2006
In reply to unclemidge: Where are you looking? She's a waif!
Did she tow her sledge up Everest I wonder. And what does she put in it.....Timotei?
 Tiggs 03 Aug 2006
In reply to unclemidge: Is that a qualification for an OBE?
 Dominion 04 Aug 2006

From http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

"Annabelle Bond (website) the well-heeled celeb' mountaineer who completed the 7 Summits in record time has been awarded the OBE for services to Mountaineering and to the Eve Appeal (Ovarian Cancer charity).

My emphasis...

I think the raising of over a million quid for the Eve appeal is the significant bit, the mountaineering bit was the method she used to do it. Still, it's an excuse for people to sneer at her because they couldn't get sponsorship to climb the seven peaks (whatever your opinion of which peaks constitute the seven peaks) - can't see any of the sneerers raising a million quid for charity, either...
 Ridge 04 Aug 2006
In reply to Dominion:
I think no-one has any problem whatsoever with her charity fundraising, it's the Services to mountaineering that's raised the hackles, and rightly so in my opinion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...