UKC

NEWS: 'The Derwent Dambuster Challenge’ a 10 mile run...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 28 Mar 2006
Challenge Cancer through Adventure was established by a group of climbers living in the Peak, seven of who have or have had cancer.

Read more at UKC's News page

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
OP Michael Ryan 28 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com:

You can read the profiles of the SEven here...

http://www.challengecancer.org.uk/profiles.html
OP Michael Ryan 28 Mar 2006

A later event is .............

Darley Park Sprint Triathlon

17th July 2006

750m - 23K - 5K

The Darley Sprint Triathlon takes place at the beautiful Darley Park just a mile north of Derby city centre and is easily accessible just off the A6 heading North out of Derby within a mile of both the A38 and A52 and approximately 5 miles from J25 from the M1. The organisors, Punishing Events, are encouraging participants to get sponsored to raise funds for Challenge Cancer Through Adventure

The event consists of a:

Swim (750m)
The swim takes place in the River Derwent which runs through the centre of Darley Park towards Derby.
Bike (23K)
The bike course will be a relatively flat and fast course with a 1 mile section on dual carriageway, with the rest of the course around the scenic lanes of south Derbyshire. The course will be marshalled and clearly signposted throughout the bike section
Run (5K)
After jumping off your bike you will head out onto the out and back run through Darley Park. The course is all on grass and footpaths and has some great scenery.

Marshals
We are always in need of marshals on the course so if there are any partners or friends out there that are willing to help please get in touch with us and you will be rewarded with a goody bag and t-shirt.
Telephone 01332 513299 or 01283 735950

Prizes
All finishers will receive a well deserved finishers T-shirt and prizes will also be awarded to age-group winners. The prize presentation will take place not long after the last finisher.

For more details, and an official Punishing Events entry form, click here

Please use our downloadable Sponsorship Form, or write to the address on the contacts page for more forms.
 DTurner 28 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Good effort guys inspirational
 Al Evans 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: I hope they dont scare the Goshawks.
 Martyn Maltby 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

I'm sure they'll do far less harm to the goshawks than the act of publicly announcing their presence. The only danger to the goshawks is and always has been intentional nest and egg stealing.
 Al Evans 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Martyn Maltby: Excuse me, its public knowledge, also I'm involved personally in their welfare and protection, and yes ringing, and furthermore I think that a lot of what twichers do in their misguided way of protecting birds would be better served by enlisting public support. Sorry, you've rattled my cage!
Taxidea taxus 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Entry form has been downloaded...

I sink more than I swim, I don't run very well but my cycling isn't too bad... I think I could be in over my head!!
Alex Pryor @ work 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
>Excuse me, its public knowledge

Well, I didn't know about it. Please advise where they are so I can avoid disturbing them.

As far as I'm aware, the event is limited to 50 and it follows the main track/road route around the edges of Derwent & Howden Dams, so it shouldn't cause a lot of disruption compared with the normal weekend influx.

>furthermore I think that a lot of what twichers do in their misguided way of protecting birds would be better served by enlisting public support.

I'm intrigued. Please explain what these misguided twitchers get up to?
OP Michael Ryan 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Martyn Maltby) Excuse me, its public knowledge

Public knowledge, as widespread as common sense!
 Alex Pryor 29 Mar 2006
> Public knowledge, as widespread as common sense!

Is that remark aimed at me?
(It may well be true, but I didn't know you knew me that well, Mick)

OP Michael Ryan 29 Mar 2006
In reply to Alex Pryor:

Not at all. Directed at Al....see Marc C's post.
 Martyn Maltby 29 Mar 2006

Excellent! Now we're all agreed there will be no mass extinction of goshawks, the idea of a very sociable jaunt round a very beautiful valley for the benefit of a very worthy cause sounds practically perfect in every way. Where can I sign up?
finn 29 Mar 2006
Challenge Cancer through Adventure was started after I was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I chose to change my work pattern and go climbing more, starting with a trip to Yosemite. Being aware that many other people may not be able to 'live their dream' we decided to raise funds that other climbers with cancer could apply for.
If you or some one you know has been diagnosed with cancer or a terminal illness and want to 'challenge your cancer' Log on to www.challengecancer.org.uk we would be pleased to support you.
 Al Evans 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: P off Mick
 Al Evans 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Hope the event is very succesful
 CarolineMc 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: Looks like a great event, hope it goes well. I would have played too, but the Great Manchester run is the same weekend - I'd be a crumpled mess if I did both!!! C-:
NKD 30 Mar 2006
In reply to finn:
Keep up the great work Don. You've done an outstanding job. I just need to get training now.
Nick.
OP Michael Ryan 30 Mar 2006
In reply to CarolineMc:

I'm planning on doing the Darley Park Sprint Triathlon.

Mick
 CarolineMc 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Mick - UKClimbing.com: I'd be even more of a crumpled mess if I tried that! C-:
 Martyn Maltby 30 Mar 2006
In reply to CarolineMc:

You could always use the Challenge Cancer Charity's sponsor form (it's not event specific) for the Manchester Great Run, thereby killing two events with one sponsor form.
 Al Evans 30 Mar 2006
In reply to CarolineMc: But whats wrong with being a crumpled mess for charity, isnt that the point?
 CarolineMc 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Martyn Maltby: Aaah, now there's an idea! C-:
 CarolineMc 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Yeah, but then being unable to work due to being crumpled for a week would be somewhat detrimental! Anyhow, when I say crumpled, I really mean that my knees just wouldn't take the strain - it's bad enough trying to coax them to do what I'm doing now... I'd be a cripple if I did any more! C-:
Alex Pryor @ work 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Martyn Maltby:
>Where can I sign up?

Martyn, you'll find the entry for on the excellent Challenge Cancer website at http://www.challengecancer.org.uk/images/DambusterEntryForm.pdf
But hurry as I understand it's limited to the first 50 applications.
 Al Evans 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Alex Pryor @ work: By the way, if you do spot the Goshawks report it at Fairholmes. Also you should be able to see my film on the Peregrines there
finn 30 Mar 2006
In reply to DTurner: Thanks for the positve vibes - Much appreciated.
Its interesting where other strands of this thread is going ? - Challenge Cancer through Adventure was set up to benefit all adventurous people with cancer that includes ornathologists !

As a climber who is dying from cancer I have to try and be positive about everything. So how about a bit more support for this cause.

So for those of you that dont like running why not send a donation.

Cheers
 Martyn Maltby 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Alex Pryor @ work:
> (In reply to Martyn Maltby)
>
> Martyn, you'll find the entry for on the excellent Challenge Cancer website at http://www.challengecancer.org.uk/images/DambusterEntryForm.pdf
> But hurry as I understand it's limited to the first 50 applications.

Thanks for that Alex. As you say, the website is excellent and full of interesting and inspiring stories, certainly makes you think, and see a different view of people's attitude to cancer (especially climbers).
I have downloaded an entry form this very morning. It should be dead easy to get 10 mates to sponsor a fiver each. Sounds like it will be a great day.

Alex Pryor @ work 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
>By the way, if you do spot the Goshawks report it at Fairholmes.

You haven't told me where to look yet! Or why twitchers are misguided.
 Al Evans 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Alex Pryor @ work: They are up in the woods to the left of the res if going away from the Snake road, you will be lucky to see them but its worth keeping an eye out, you will not find their nests so I am ok with this, Fairholmes will probably tell you where to look. You may mistake them for Buzzards of which there are several pairs in the area.
Twitchers are mistaken in their secrecy because.
1/ If they got the public on their side, the public are generally more on the side of the birds than the gamekeepers are. In fact the greatest threat to Raptors in the Peak comes not from the public but from rogue gamekeepers. Witness the co-operation the RSPB get from the BMC.
2/ Keeping things secret means that people could stray onto sensitive sites by mistake.
3/ Egg stealers and gamekeepers are going to know just as well as bird watchers where they are, possibly better in the case of a local gamekeeper. Better to use the concerned public to help police sites in my opinion. Illegal traps can be destroyed, a found shot bird can be handed in, if its ringed its location and history will be known which may help to bring the perpetrator to justice.
Need I go on?
Alex Pryor @ work 31 Mar 2006
In reply to finn:
> So for those of you that dont like running why not send a donation.

Finn, I'm amazed and inspired by your positive attitude. My cheque is in the post. Unfortunately my legs are past it for running, but I'd like to volunteer to help on the day in any way I can. Do you need any marshalls, drink stations etc on the course? I'd be delighted to help in any way.
Rob Richards 03 Apr 2006

I cycled around the route of the run on Saturday to see if I would be able to run it. What a beautiful setting for a run. There are a few short hills but mostly it's flat so I'm gonna go for it & enter the event, hope I'm not too late.

I also kept an eye out for the Goshawks but only saw a Kestrel hovering near the ridge. I did speak to some Birders near Fairhomes who said that they'd seen a couple of pairs of Goshawks earlier in the day. They said that early morning was the best time spot them & that they look like a big Sparrowhawk. Maybe we'll catch a glimpse of them on the day of the run.

Regards

Rob
 Al Evans 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Rob Richards: A really BIG sparrowhawk. But there are also Buzzards there which you are more likely to confuse them with than sparrowhawks. Did you go in Fairholmes and see my Peregrine film ?
Rob Richards 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Rob Richards) Did you go in Fairholmes and see my Peregrine film ?

Sorry Al, I completely forgot about it. I'll check it out if I get an entry into the run.

Are you thinking of entering for the run or do you know anyone who may be interested ?
 Al Evans 03 Apr 2006
In reply to Rob Richards: I'm really not fit enough, but I might well be around to cheer you guys on.
Alex Pryor @ work 06 Apr 2006
In reply to Rob Richards:
Did you manage to get an entry for the run, Rob?
If so, look out for me as I'll be marshalling on the day.
How's the sponsorship going?
Rob Richards 07 Apr 2006
> > Did you manage to get an entry for the run, Rob?

I have got an entry for the run, though after speaking to the organisers they told me that they hadn't had many entries so far. Unfortunately if they don't get more entries in soon they may have to cancel the event. That seems like such a shame because it's for a really good cause & it looks like they've put a lot of time & effort into it already.

> > How's the sponsorship going?

The sponsorship is going really well thanks. I'm up to £45 already & I've only had the form for a couple of days. I just hope that they get more entries soon & the event can go ahead as planned.

Martyn Maltby 11 Apr 2006
In reply to Rob Richards:

Well, done Rob. It looks like a fantastic charity, close to all our adventurous hearts. I bet a lot of the people on here know of someone with cancer or a terminal illness, and to be able to get funds to go on that last great adventure is a brilliant concept.

Everyone who is lucky enough to be fit and healthy, and even those who aren't, should be able do their bit, enter the Challenge and raise more funds for the charity. Who knows, any one of us could use the funds one day.

http://www.challengecancer.org.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...