Xscape ice climbing walls.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gfam64 17 Mar 2006
Have any of you ever climbed them? Are they a good intro to ice climbing? Am interested as couple of hours here is much cheaper than going up to N Scotland for a w/end. Any sensible critical comments much appreciated. Thanks. gfam64
 2pints 17 Mar 2006
In reply to gfam64:

It's good fun, but different to proper winter climbing, in same way as most other walls are.
 Simon K 17 Mar 2006
In reply to gfam64:

Don't bother - got to Scotland.
 sutty 18 Mar 2006
In reply to Simon K:

He asked for sensible answers that did not involve going to Scotland, so I appoint you todays court fool.

The people who live close say it is expensive for what it is but gives practice before going elsewhere and tells you which muscles are not up to the job on steep ice.
 mark stones 18 Mar 2006
In reply to gfam64: i went yesterday,my first time.i enjoyed it. will deffinatly be going again.it was a bit pricey tho at £30 an hour.
 Luke01 18 Mar 2006
In reply to gfam64: I work at the castleford one, the climbing is good, worth a visit if you don't mind taking out a loan. It's no substitute for scotland though.
drstu 18 Mar 2006
In reply to gfam64:
Have used the castleford one, if you have a belayer and your own gear it does work out cheaper. It is just a cold climbing wall though. For me it was useful I have had a few years away from winter climbing so it was good to refresh the techniques in a safe environment personally I like to be in the hills.
In reply to gfam64:

In my experience indoor ice is different and easier to outdoor ice. There tends to be a lot of solid usable, hook placements and footholds folk have booted in- due to the heavy traffic these routes get. This will not compare very accurately to you turning up at a virgin ice route outdoors where you have to read the ice, choose your placements and frontpoint (quite mentally challenging at first).
There are various types of ice and indoors tends to be snow ice which is a lot easier to climb than water ice which is fairly common outdoors.
Having said all this, the movements an indoor top rope will be useful in learning how to use your tools and poons for when you go outside.

Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...