Stanage Plantation - Sunday 4th December.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TN 27 Nov 2005
Hi All,

Time for another lugging session - shake off those winter blues, warm yourself up and get fit.

On Sunday 4th December we'll be at the Plantation carpark from 12 noon filling bags, lugging bags and supplying doughnuts by way of thanks.

Please come along and help, even if you can only manage 1 bag it will be much appreciated.

Poster with details on display in Outside, Nevisport (Hathersage), Hitch n Hike, Foothills and The Edge (Newcastle Uni climbing club - you're famous!!)

Hope to see as many of you as possible there!

TRUDI
 Simon 29 Nov 2005
In reply to TN:

I'll see what the old gammy legs like on Sunday & come along if ok. I'll bring a shovel this time - that spade did for my back!!

:0P

Si
x
OP TN 29 Nov 2005
In reply to Simon:

A shovel would be superb - we only have that spade and it wasn't good, was it?
Hope we DO see you on Sunday!

T
 Simon 29 Nov 2005
In reply to TN:

not if i'm feeling like this i may not - a bit of beechams & I'll be rite!

..just need to work on my marketing technique tho!! ;0)

Si
 Chris the Tall 02 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:
bump
Sharket 02 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

um, not that i'll be there as i live way down south but whats it all in aid of?
Chris Tan ver XLIX 02 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

Have you considered liberating some shopping trolley's for sunday?
 tomski3 02 Dec 2005
In reply to Sharket:

I think it's to reduce erosion under boulders and popular areas
Sharket 02 Dec 2005
In reply to tomski3:

ah ok...
In reply to Sharket:
Such is the popularity of the Plantation and so rapid is the erosion underneath the Pebble that there is a risk that the bolder could roll down the hill and crush Hathersage
Sharket 02 Dec 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall:

what the whole place - is it not very big?
In reply to Sharket:
Optical illusion, it's all done with mirrors.
Sharket 02 Dec 2005

oh i'll have to look for them assuming i ever make it north of the m25 again
 Simon 03 Dec 2005
In reply to all:

Hi

Not wanting to step on toes TN - but there's been a few questions on what the BMC are doing at Stanage.

TN & Muz are access reps for the Peak area & have taken on the sterling job of tackling erosion at bouldering sites in the Peak. The work being done at the Plantation is to hopefully stop the erosion and restore the area to a semi natural state.

So far TN & Muz with help from many willing volunteers have sorted the Green Traverse boulder out and are well on the way with the Pebble - but we need help with the Business Boulder & the aggregate material we are using is in the Car park at the plantation & needs carrying up the hill.

Hopefully people will turn out to help us acheive this & we can start to maybe look at other areas tomorrow with debate.

All help is welcome & thanks to all of those who have helped thus far...

Hope to see you tommorow.

Simon Jacques
BMC Peak Bouldering Access Rep

OP TN 03 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:

I'll just pull you up on one thing Simon - we're not trying to stop the erosion. Erosion is natural and normal. We're just trying to mend things bit...

If anyone has any further questions (current speciality subject erosion, but pretty good on shoes and lipstick!) my mobile number is on the poster, or you can email me via my profile...

I hope lots of you can make it to the plantation tomorrow - maybe carry a bag of gravel up, take a look at the work so far, ask any questions you need to - and also make any suggestions on how we might improve what we're doing, if you can!
T

(I'll be the one in the car park wearing a silly hat and carrying the big bag of doughnuts!)
 Simon 03 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Simon)
>
> I'll just pull you up on one thing Simon - we're not trying to stop the erosion. Erosion is natural and normal. We're just trying to mend things bit...
>

oopps - sorry!!

Of course - thats why you guys are in charge!

;0)

Si
 Oli 03 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

I'm coming!!!!!!

In reply to TN: What's the weather been like ver there today and is it likely to be climable tomorrow?
 Simon 03 Dec 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley:

Its ben a bit pish - but I reckon that the boulders may be ok 2morra - if we have no rain - then the edge will be fine I reck...

so come along & help if you can Rich!

si
In reply to Simon: Will do if it's not pishing down in the morning...
 Simon 03 Dec 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley:

good man - cheers

si
OP TN 04 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:

Come on - it's a beautiful day - well, okay, not beautiful but I'm taking my bouldering mat for later if it dries outa bit.
On the plus side, it's NOT raining and the ground isn't frozen.

It'll be great to see you Oli - come and say hello! And same goes to anyone else who can make it! We NEED you!!

AND we have doughnuts, jaffa cake bars, satsumas...
 Simon 04 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

bump!
OP TN 04 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

A pretty disappointing turn out today, but those who did turn up were absolutely spectacular - LOADS of the stuff got shifted and it looks like we've now finished (for the time being) on the Pebble!

Next on the list is the biggie - the business boulder.

The tentative plan is to have another session the day after boxing day - we figured everyone will have had enough of christmas/tv/turkey by then and will fancy a bit of a walk... More here closer to the time.

Thanks again to todays wonderful volunteers!
OP TN 04 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

PS - there are a number of filled bags in the Plantation car park - if you get out there during the week, please take a bag up and leave it near the Business boulder.
Thanks.

T
 Simon 04 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:

It was a shame that the weather was so rank & probably kept people away - but I think we had a good day & the place is looking so much better.

I enjoyed the digging more than the lugging!

Good effort by all & couldnt believe Al came back & slogged up with 2 bags when it was going dark!! top man...

keep it up guys - you are doing a great job!

and I turned down the offer of beer & donuts twice - wow!!

;0)

si

Chris the Tall 04 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:
>
> and I turned down the offer of beer & donuts twice - wow!!

But then succumbed to an evil ciggie - shame on you man

And I'm in trouble for having a couple of doughnuts cos Liz is on a diet.

No, I don't understand it either
 Simon 04 Dec 2005

6 lugs to the crag with 12 bags of grit has to be a record!

well done big guy... you deserve the doughnuts!

:0)

si
 Oli 04 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon: And probably the beer too....

Our efforts pale in comparison. The vice leading from the front!!
OP TN 05 Dec 2005

Ah well - you were silly enough to tell her! silly, silly man!

Thanks for coming along Chris - I have NO IDEA how you managed 12 (!) bags!

I ache like mad this morning just from filling the bags in the car park.

It's looking good though folks - thatnk again for pitching in.
Muz 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:
Simon, You had a smoke - after all that posting about never having one again tut tut.

Did you remember to send some of the photos to Martin?

The Green boulder looks a lot better with the surface layer of grit as provided by Bill.

I think we need a few ideas on how best to repair the area below business boulder - a lot of the water comes straight off the rock so we need to consider various forms of drainage. I for one don't want to see plastic pipes involved and I'm not keen on rock lined culverts (twisted ankles will result). So any ideas?
 Chris the Tall 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Muz:
How about a progress update:

Green Boulder - finished and looking good
The Pebble - almost finished, all we need now is the the rangers to delivered the coarse grit/sand for the top dressing
Business Boulder - gonna be difficult due to the sloping nature of the ground. But first we need the gravel up there.

So, if anyone feels like taking up a bag or two of gravel - please deposit them near the Business Boulder

Chris the Donkey
 Simon 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Muz:
> (In reply to Simon)
> Simon, You had a smoke - after all that posting about never having one again tut tut.
>
> Did you remember to send some of the photos to Martin?
>
>

I'm sending the piccys tonight & I HAVE been doing well - only the odd sneaky fag!!

...its hard this stopping business! Need more exercise - anyone know of a good fitness booster involving lugging stuff up hills etc???

;0)

Si
OP TN 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:
> ... anyone know of a good fitness booster involving lugging stuff up hills etc???

Yeah, it's called lugging bags of grit up the hill to the Plantation, you great big wuss!

T
 CJD 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Muz)
> [...]
>
> I'm sending the piccys tonight & I HAVE been doing well - only the odd sneaky fag!!

you've got to make it all or nothing, I'm afraid.

keep on giving up.

good luck with it.

sutty 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:

You have a fag when you want, just carry one bag of gravel up for every one you smoke as penance.
Muz 05 Dec 2005
In reply to sutty:
That sounds like a plan - same applies to chocolate, cake and beer.
OP TN 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Muz:

And pizza! You fat knacker....
(Pot, kettle etc!)
 Simon 05 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Simon)
> [...]
>
>
> Yeah, it's called lugging bags of grit up the hill to the Plantation, you great big wuss!
>
> T

Says her that came up with nothing!

I lugged - I dug & hauled rocks about & spread pretty ferns on the floor...

..Well Chris did most of the fern detail - him being "like that"

;0)

Si
OP TN 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Simon:

Hey, lazy boy! I did my work in the car park, filling about 6,000 bags with grit and persuading people to carry them up.
And tempting the policeman (who I think thought I was a prostitute) with doughnuts...
I agree that Chris has an unhealthy obsession with fern though...
 Chris the Tall 05 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:
I loathe and detest the stuff - whats unhealthy about that !! Give me a sycthe and I'll happily chop down more of it! Lets eradicate bracken from Stanage !!!!

OK, I admit, slightly obsessed, but heathily so...
ned laver 06 Dec 2005
In reply to TN:
when's the next one? if i know then i'll muster some more enthousiasm; and thanks for the outright bribery...good luck with the next policeman!
and hope you got hold of the great dr quinton and nearly dr morris for some studies?
if not, here's some help -
http://www.es.lancs.ac.uk/people/johnq/
ned
OP TN 06 Dec 2005
In reply to ned laver:

Hi Ned - thanks for helping.
I have forgotten to bring the list of names you gave me to work with me so that's useful - thanks again!
Will let you all know in plenty of time, but were *thinking* about the day after boxing day - people will be DESPERATE to get out by then, we figured...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...