Messner remains found on Nanga Parbat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 Aug 2005
The remains of Guenther Messner have been found on Nanga Parbat, 35 years after he was lost descending from a successful ascent of Nanga Parbat's Rupal Face with his brother, Reinhold Messner.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 Rob Naylor 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan:

Jumping the gun a bit, aren't you, Mick? "A" body (or parts of one) has been found. Messner says he's sure it's Guenther by some items of clothing, but the press reporting on this that I've seen has been very much "let's wait and see", since the actual information at the moment is so sketchy as to make a positive statement such as this thread title somewhat premature.
Carpe Diem 20 Aug 2005
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Just read that.I cant believe a climber would leave his own brother like that??

( read the story before,but not for a while)
Am Bodach 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem:
> (In reply to nz Cragrat)
>
> Just read that.I cant believe a climber would leave his own brother like that??
>
> ( read the story before,but not for a while)

I think you should read "the story" again, and have a slightly more open mind.
 Steve Parker 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem: If that isn't a joke, you should learn a little more about it. Messner spent about 2 days digging in avalanche debris almost out of his mind with exhaustion and grief. He very nearly died as a result.
Justin 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Am Bodach: Agreed. Messner is his own worse enemy though, it's not difficult to see why he gets bad press.
Carpe Diem 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Steve Parker:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem) If that isn't a joke, you should learn a little more about it. Messner spent about 2 days digging in avalanche debris almost out of his mind with exhaustion and grief. He very nearly died as a result.

Thats what i mean! crossed wires i think...

I was trying to say i dont believe he would have left him to die as some reported.
 Steve Parker 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem: Ah, fair enough. Just leaving him was far, far from what he did.
 sandywilson 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Carpe Diem:

Listened to Chris B on PM (R4) last night. He believes Messner.
 Steve Parker 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Mick Ryan: Hmmm... I revise my earlier precipitousness. Sorry to Carpe Diem - I completely missed your point! What a grotesque dispute. I really hope Reinhold's version is the true one.
Carpe Diem 20 Aug 2005
> (In reply to Mick Ryan) Hmmm... I revise my earlier precipitousness. Sorry to Carpe Diem - I completely missed your point

No worries

Mick Ward 20 Aug 2005

The whole episode has always seemed utterly tragic - especially after Buhl's struggles up and down the mountain, with the same 'leadership'. Messner's frenzied efforts to find his brother must have been heartrending. To go through such prolonged agony and then to have to leave. Nobody could have done more...
 Steve Parker 20 Aug 2005
In reply to Mick Ward: My thoughts exactly. This controversy will utterly taint the much-need closure the discovery may have provided.
Hotbad Peteel 20 Aug 2005

I have a book by messner with a name that escapes me. Its a very disturbing read. He dwells on his brother so much you almost feel what he must have gone through and worse feel what he must still endure. I really hope it helps him to find his brother. It matters to no one more then him and his family so I doubt a scientific/forensic confirmation is necessary
p
 tim carruthers 22 Aug 2005
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
"The Naked Mountain" ??
Hotbad Peteel 22 Aug 2005
In reply to tim carruthers:

i think thats the one. It quite disturbed me reading it
p
In reply to nz Cragrat:

mounteverest.net seem to have a predilection for constantly dragging up controversy. When Hinkes climbed Kangchenchunga recently, they announced it as "Alan Hinkes summits Kangchenjunga - Bags his 13th 8000er!"

http://www.mounteverest.net/story/AlanHinkessummitsKangchenjungaJun22005.sh...

Which makes them a bunch of muck-raking scumbags in my opinion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...