Yorks Grit crags liberated by CRoW Act

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
GuyK 26 May 2005
The CRoW Act goes live in region 4 (and 5) this weekend (28th May), meaning a number of crags in Yorkshire and Northumberland with historical access difficulties will now have an ‘open access land’ designation.

Keep checking the BMC website ‘Latest News’ for forthcoming regional summary’s and the RAD.

Here’s the summery of changes to Yorkshire Gritstone crags

- Ash Head Crag, Birk Gill, Eastby, Great Wolfrey, Sypeland, all Bardon Fell crags and boulders (Simons and Lords seat’s, Hen Stones), and Scout Crag (together with other boulders around Widdop reservoir) – Open Access land.

- Brandrith and Dovestone – Registered Common Land, therefore you do not need to seek permission to climb here.

- Cat Crags – not open access land, see Yorks. grit guide for access details

Guy Keating
BMC A & C Officer.
 Simon 26 May 2005
In reply to GuyK:

Simons seat not open access before Guy?

craig h 26 May 2005
In reply to Simon:

Think it was permisive access, as with a lot of the crags on Barden Fell/Moor. Never a hastle unless there was a high fire risk or the odd bit of grouse shooting.
In reply to GuyK: More good news. Sypeland looks lovely.
 Chris Fryer 27 May 2005
In reply to GuyK: I might even get to Brandith now, after trying for 3 years while I lived in Leeds. Good News.
 sutty 28 May 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Nice little crag, bit Ramshaw like but more isolated. Grit a bit like Kinder, coarser grained than most Yorkshire grit.
 jamiemoss 28 May 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley:

Sypeland is great, everyone should go. But remember to take a soft brush, as a lot of the rock is rather lichenous. I reckon this place will be transformed with people visiting regularly.

It'll never get too popular though as it's in the middle of nowhere, and you've gotta drive past Slipstones to get there.
Stephen Blake 28 May 2005
In reply to GuyK:

So what Northumbrian crags can we now access
that we couldn't before?

Steve
 JDal 28 May 2005
In reply to Stephen Blake:
Bugger all, basically. Half of Shitlington. No need to get permission for Sandy Crag, but that was never a problem in any case. I can't think of anything else.

We have legal access to some stuff we could access in any case. Half of Bowden, all of the Simonsides, some stuff in your neck of the woods like Broomlea Lough, the top of Crag Lough (but not Peel Crag or the bottom of Crag Lough!) I know it was down to species of grass etc, but there are some wierd results of the mapping.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Chris Fryer:
I've been to Brandrith several times, just phoned the farmer who never had any problems and was very helpful.
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jun 2005
In reply to GuyK:
What about Holwick Scar, we've been looking forward to this for years and now it looks like it's still banned - another victory for the farmer's shotgun?
http://www.climbonline.co.uk/news.htm

Offwidth 03 Jun 2005
In reply to GuyK:

Whats the Rylstone situation?

On the subject of Rylstone won't those new trees that have been planted alter the view of the edge from the valley. How did they get permission to plant there?
 Bob 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Offwidth:

Rylstone is part of the Bolton Abbey Estate access agreement so same thing applies as to Crookrise.

As for the trees, I don't think you need permission to plant native species, could be wrong but I don't think so. The only change that the planting makes is that you have to go a bit further uphill to get over the fence rather than getting over at the closest point.

Bob
 hutchm 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to GuyK)
> another victory for the farmer's shotgun?
> http://www.climbonline.co.uk/news.htm
>
I prefer a metaphorical victory to the literal one which preceded it, I suppose.

Still means I can't get to my local crag.
 Offwidth 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Bob:

When they grow they will change and probably obscure a very attractive view of the edge from below (and possibly the cross). In climbing terms they will encourage lichen potentially leading to access problems similar to the tree cutters incident at Rivelin. The approach is unaffected as far as I can see (the direct approach obviously was not welcomed by the landowners and its very clear you should follow the track up to the right of the edge).
 Bob 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Offwidth:

What direct approach? The approach has always been from the access point, up the bridleway that leads across the moor until a path leads leftwards under the first buttress to the cross. All that has changed is that you have to go up the bridleway a little further to find the stile over the fence around the new planting.

From what I remember of the extent of the planting it will become similar to Crookrise with the trees stopping some distance down from the crag.

Bob
 Offwidth 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Bob:

The short cut across from the plantation.

Trees are planted up to a few metres from the crag edge from the first quarry to the Cross Group. I was there on Tuesday.
 Bob 03 Jun 2005
In reply to Offwidth:

Never bothered with that, in fact didn't even know about it and would have thought that it was over rougher terrain than going the "proper" way. It is only 30mins to the main edge from the road anyway.

Bob
OP Anonymous 04 Jun 2005
In reply to Bob:

Some people take all sorts of stupid shorter routes to save a few hundred yards (otherwise why tell people not to bother in the guide). I surprised no one seems worried about the trees as they do seem far too close to the edge and must affect that first quarried bit when they grow.

Offwidth@home
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jul 2005
In reply to GuyK:
We went to Ingleby Incline (North York Moors) last week, effectively banned for years but now open access. It's a super crag and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a long walk-in (an hour or so).

Rather more successful than our abortive trip to Feizor Nick, which is now being pursued by the YDNP access officer.
Ian Straton 13 Jul 2005
In reply to GuyK: Can't find any reference to great wolfry on the bmc site, is this now open or is the landowner still threataning to shot anyone on his land?
 Simon Caldwell 13 Jul 2005
In reply to Ian Straton:
It helps if you get the spelling right
http://www.thebmc.co.uk/outdoor/rad/rad_det.asp?crag_id=108
Ian Straton 13 Jul 2005
In reply to Simon Caldwell: Yay! thanks, forgot about the 'e'!
NC 14 Jul 2005
apparetnly the game keepers at gret wolfrey are begrudgingly allowing people up to the crag - like they have a choice! Still its good to know that people are heeding the CROW.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...