Stanage Ring Ouzel advice for 2005

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matthew Croney 18 Mar 2005
The Ring Ouzel are due back at Stanage any day now and the Peak District National Park Authority, BMC, Ramblers, RSPB, etc have met under the Stanage Forum and agreed advice for this breeding season. The full advice note can be viewed at: http://www.peakdistrict.org/stanage/ouzel2005.htm ,which in essence says:
thanks for your help last year when there were 2 successful nests on the crag; this year we will not be asking you to avoid pre-selected areas in the hope that birds nest there but will wait until the birds arrive and see where they try to nest. We will then sign any nests on the busiest parts of the Edge to ask to you avoid the area. As usual, the signs will be limited to as small an area as possible and will be up for a maximum of 5 weeks. There will be no more than 2 signed nests at any one time, so all but a few routes will be available at all times. Usual advice such as keeping your dog on a lead and not gardening the crag are also in the note.
Many thanks for your ongoing support
Happy climbing!
Matthew
 Adders 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Matthew Croney: is it ok to climb app north boulders for the next few weeks or have the signs gone up and birdies already nesting?

yours trying to save a drive and will go elsewhere if restrictions already in place.
 Adders 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders: does anyone know please?
 TN 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders:

You got mail, but the short answer is you should be okay to climb there at the moment.
Matthew Croney 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders:
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I don't look at this website every day. There are no signs out at present and there are unlikely to be any until about 15 April at the earliest - more likely around the 20th on last year's evidence. The birds are now back (first ones 18/19 March and most 3 April) and just starting to decide where to try to nest. There's a pair near Cowper Stone, another at Burbage Bridge, another below the Rim/Overstones Farm (across the road) somewhere, a male at Count's Buttress, another male in the Plantation area and another one at High Neb. Generally, they're squabbling over territory at the moment so difficult to predict where they'll actually try to nest until it all settles down a bit. You'll be well informed in advance if any signs are to go up, so thanks for checking and watch this space.
 Adders 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Matthew Croney: thanks for the reply, i'll keep my eye on this thread in future then.
 Adders 21 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders: can anyone confirm whether its ok or not to go to apparant north? thinking of going tonight.

ps. did anyone know that surprize view carpark u now have to pay? when did this happen! £2!
 john horscroft 21 Apr 2005
In reply to Adders:

Unless I'm going bonkers it's been like that for ages! However, it's not policed, so paying is up to your conscience. See it as an honesty box maybe?
 Adders 21 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft: nah i knwo its always had a box - app this is a new one and says you HAVE to pay.....

ps. can i climb at app north? pretty please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...