Feedback from Kendal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 22 Nov 2004
Unless I've missed something this is strangely absent. So I'll start it going.

Enjoyed most:

Overall: (at the risk of accusations of uxoriousness) Lynn's Albert and the Carthorse reading at the Owl and The Crag rat event.

Films The God and Le Cheval (but what on earth they had to do with climbing goodness knows)

Talk: difficult to say as nothing stood out but most speakers dealt well with the problems so I guess I enjoyed the bits most that were not planned but well bypassed with wit.

Enjoyed least:

Poor technical support and projection preparation in the leisure centre on Friday evening and Saturday.

The breaks that all line up in the films. I dont see why they couldnt stagger them (especially for lunch) so that people get a chance to see more films if they are pushed for time. In the end we saw a lot but only because some things overran or were repeated for judging or were full so they showed them again at lunchtime.

Odd how this doesn't involve much climbing!
 Marc C 22 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth: I accuse you of uxoriousness

My fave films were Patrick Berhault's tragically curtailed 82 4,000m alpine peaks in 82 days; the sheer heartstoppingness of Heinz Zak's 'Highliner'; Joss Naylor running 60 fells on his 60th birthday; and - for its spirit of friendship and palpable love of mountains across the generations - Leo Houlding and Chris Bonington in 'The Adventure is Not Yet Over'.

Other highlights included the remarkably smooth (considering lack of rehearsal!) performance of poems from The Owl & the Cragrat; meeting new faces; good food at the Brewery restaurant; witnessing everyone's 'appreciation' of my infamous Indian Restaurant 'jokes' in an Indian restaurant; and generally being in The Lakes (particularly Saturday when the weather was great); and serendipitously (well, if you can use words like uxorious!) discovering car parking nearby...

Bad points:
rescheduled and cancelled films at short notice...
 Tom Briggs 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Festival winners are now listed on the news page:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 cornishben 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C:
highlights
film: african flyby - am now planning a trip to mali for march!
lecture: Yvon Chouinard - completely inpsirational unassuming guy
 lummox 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth: did anyone see Richard Askwith talk? If so, was he good ?
 Marc C 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox: Yes, heard Richard read from his book 'Feet in the Clouds'. Great stuff - I'm not a fell runner, but felt compelled to buy it. It's really fascinating.
 TobyA 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

> Overall: (at the risk of accusations of uxoriousness)...

I might accuse you of that if I knew what it meant. What does it mean? And I'll check in a dictionary later to make sure you go it right...
 Marc C 23 Nov 2004
In reply to TobyA: His wife told him what it meant, and showed him whow to demonstrate it
 Marc C 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C: Steve has actually built a shrine to Lynn in his garden - The Temple of Uxor.
In reply to Marc C:

... I have had no luck reaching the shrine, because it's now surrounded by a baying mob of RT'ers - the Accusers of Uxoriousness.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

... throwing dictionaries at me.
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Offwidth) did anyone see Richard Askwith talk? If so, was he good ?

Richard Askwith was very good, and I for one regret that his book didn't win the Boardman Tasker Award. The do at Kendal was also good for two other reasons. First it was preceded by the excellent 1996? TV documentary of Jos Naylor's '60 at 60' run (and Jos was there in person). Second, Jennings the sponsors were providing free beer!
 lummox 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C: excellent- looking forward to it as an Xmas present to keep me motivated for runs through the winter.
 Wibble Wibble 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Had an excellent time and it was good to see a mountaineering legend like Kurt Diemberger. I didn't see that many films, but Twice upon a time in Bolivia was a cracker. Just showing normal punters having a laugh in the mountains with their mates.

The technical problems, both in the cinema and at the leisure centre were embarassing and annoying. It was all a bit amateurish, though the lecturers, like Jim Curran coped pretty well.

Shame I missed Joss Naylor and the Feet in the Clouds chap.

Llanberis next then!
 Bob 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox:

It's well worth getting - a good read, well you'd expect that from the editor of a national newspaper. He's dug out lots of interesting facts - such as our local race is the oldest fell race in Britain. There are one or two points where it appears that he has struggled with the Cumberland accent but I think you'd need to know what would be said to know that there is something missing (if you see what I mean). Whether it leads to an increase in the numbers at fell races, or indeed a reduction in the average age of racers, will be interesting - I hope it does.

Bob
Simon White 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Enjoyed most:

Overall: Can't think of a better way to spend a couple of days off work in November (but see also "Enjoyed least" below).

Films: The Adventure is Not Yet Over (two blokes chatting while tied to a piece of rope) - an object lesson in the importance of simplicity and the quality of the ingredients in any recipe, be it food or film.

Trio for One - what an engaging character LaFaille is.

Twice Upon a Time in Bolivia - arf arf...

Talk: Heinz Zak's slide show. How many images were there in the second session? 300? Every one breathtaking.

Enjoyed least: Driving to Kendal on the Friday, looking at the snow on the fells, and realising I was going to spend one of the best days of the year sitting in a cinema.

Being singled out by Gordon as looking most like a grey badger in order to deliver two words from The Owl and the Cragrat. Barsteward.

The indifference of some of the support from The Brewery. When 50 people come out of a cinema wanting tea or coffee in a 15-minute break, that is not a good time to reduce the bar staff from two to one. And Kurt Diemberger's microphone really should have been checked.
Alsion Bnod 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Highlights - Curry Friday night was yummy, Film about a sheep herder was riveting, The Owl and the Cragrat poetry reading demonstrated a level of professionalism and skill that is unsurpassed....

I thought the Heinz Zac thing was pretty, but I wanted more to know HOW he took such pictures, and stories about them, instead of being shown them to Pink Floyd. Alistair Lee was funny apart from a wierd debacle involveing his friend in small red pants. The boy who did the presentation on the 'Hot Rocks Global Challenge' was eminently fanciable, and it's the first time that I've ever been jealous of someone else's life.

Saturday night was my best bit I think... I saw lots of lovely RT people, and lots of lovely Edinburgh people who I've not seen for ages. I danced and had fun and it was good. Sunday was wet, achy and hungover and it was a bit dissapointing not to have the Photgraphy Seminar we'd been expecting but saw a few films from the Extreme Film School and thought I'd quite like to do that.

Many thanks to Helen and Bella for being ace and lovely and making it possible for me to be part of it.

Ali x
 sandy 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C: 'The Adventure is Not Yet Over' Damn that's twice I've missed this. Anyone know if it is available on DVD or if it is likely to be shown again?

Andy
In reply to Offwidth:
Enjoyed most: excellent conditions at langdale boulders on Saturday so sacked off the films etc....
Seeing loads of mates I aint seen in a while.
Meeting folk at the bar and drinking booze on Sunday.

Enjoyed least:
The wobbly floor in the tent and the b;oody cold someone has given me.

lummox 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Bob:
> (In reply to lummox)
>
Whether it leads to an increase in the numbers at fell races, or indeed a reduction in the average age of racers, will be interesting - I hope it does.

I hope so too- in the few years that I`ve been taking part in races, I`ve heard loads of comments from more experienced runners about races like the Marsden-Edale just being for old gits- I was a whippersnapper on last year`s ! Mebe it`s just something that you fall in to in your thirties for most people ?

Simon 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Duncan Disorderly:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
> Enjoyed most:
1) langdale boulders on Saturday - sod sittiing in a cinnema - there was climbing to be done! The view was stunning & enjoyed playing with my new camera all weekend.

2)Meeting up wi Sam & Rich Orange & dozens of others & having a good boozy do with em all.

Enjoyed least:
That freaky bloody wobbly floor in the tent!

;0)

si
 Bob 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox:

Apparently the average age for the (Yorkshire) Three Peaks race is in the mid 40's and is going up by around 6 months every year!

Look at the records for some of the longer races in the Lakes and they were set 20 years ago.

Bob
 lummox 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Bob: haven`t done the 3 Peaks or any of the classic Lakes races yet( Langdale,Ennerdale) but hope to next year. I take it there aren`t any new Blands to around to break the records?
 Bob 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox:

There's Gavin Bland, nephew of Billy, but none others that I can think of.

Bob
Iain Ridgway 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox: We find it too, theres very rarely anyone under the age of 25, only a few under 30, and i bet the avergae age is nearer 45 in the ultras.

Thing is they should move uo the vets category dont you think? My Gfs 31 next year so shes 4 years off being a vet, Im not having that, me birds a vet!

TBH I dont think it will change, many I know have got into fell running after a career road racing, and run in the hills as its easier on their knees.
 lummox 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Iain Ridgway: it`s not fair- women live longer and they get to be vets earlier than men ! At 34, I`m amongst the youngest in some of the races I`ve entered. Not sure fells are easier on the legs than roadrunning but I get the point..I didn`t have the stamina or inclination for longer runs in my mid-twenties.
 Marc C 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to Iain Ridgway) it`s not fair- women live longer and they get to be vets earlier than men ! >

Good point. That Norwegian vet - Trude Mostue - can't be more than 30.

Don't worry, I'm getting me vet's white coat....

James Jackson 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Nice to catch up with some friends and meet new people. Great party on the Saturday - shame I had to leave at 12:30, but when the car to the campsite goes...

Inspiring films: African Flyby, Dolomitie Trance, The Falcon the Flew With Man. I want to go BASE jumping.

Alex Huber is clearly an amazing climber, but his film was a little pretentious.

There were too many boring bits of film with loads of shots of people bouldering indoors with tools. Drytooling seemed like a bit of a hot topic this year. Scott Muir strikes me as a wanker.
Clauso 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C:

I'd just like to take the opportunity to congratulate all concerned at Stonegold Towers for what was evidently a very well received poetry recital.

Indeed, news of the event has filtered across the Irish Sea to the land of Saints, scholars and some bloke called Heaney. It seems that the assembled audience was agog. The poetic prowess contained between the covers of TOatC was much appreciated; one observer was heard to comment "That 'I wandered once up to Hen Cloud...' was sheer f@*king class! It's just a shame that the fella with the Greek-sounding name kept trying to grab the limelight. Who f@*king cares 'Who climbs with Fergus'?"
 Marc C 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Clauso: Hail Owl Spirit Brother! You were sadly missed: We held a minute's silence for you before we started our recital.

Alison Bond totally ruined your 'They F**k you up" - changed your masterpiece to an Ode to Kendal Serving Staff ( 'They fill you up, those who serve snacks, they may not mean to but they do. They fill you with the ales they have, And add some crisps and peanuts too"). I tried to get the mic of her, but she's a very strong lass - grip of a librarian (can tear the collected works of Seamus Heaney in half, no problem)
OP Offwidth 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C:

Who told you about the shrine and how come the curse hasnt taken you yet if you know?

I thought the audience seemed a bit like rabbits in a car headlights and handing out song sheets forcing participation then allowing an escape break was far too kind. I liked the strange man who when not performing as a ladder juggler was hanging around in the background tutting and clicking like a worried school maam.

In reply to Gordon Stainforth

I'd check those dreams out: a publisher and author who has dreams of people throwing books at them sounds serious to me (maybe the curse of Uxor has got you already). Mind you two gigs in one day is enough stress to push many people over the edge without a curse.

In reply to Simon and Duncan

Bouldering??? When you've spent money on tickets?? Or were you another 'only here for the beer' festival goer.
Iain Ridgway 23 Nov 2004
In reply to lummox: Its more to do with the pounding that road running does, every step is the same, on a sloped camber, in the hills, every step is different so the pressures moevd about, saying tha injuries such as twists and falls are probably more common.
In reply to Offwidth:
> In reply to Simon and Duncan
>
> Bouldering??? When you've spent money on tickets?? Or were you another 'only here for the beer' festival goer.

Semi-guilty, I initially planned to go to Kendal to see two films that I had done the music for and to catch a film & lecture or two and meet some mates. These two films it turned out were not shortlisted and nothing really screamed "come see me" on the Saturday, so with the weather being perfect elected to go bouldering. On the Sunday I blagged a ticket saw the odd film and hung out in the bar, it's too good an opportunity to see peeps that I rarely see and if the weather is good I gotta go climbing!

I definitely took less drugs than I usually would at a festival tho)

HC~F 23 Nov 2004
I didn't miss the gorgeous day outside on the Saturday, spent most of it in the hills, only coming back for two lectures - Heinz Zak and Alastair Lee, both good.
Sunday was very disappointing as the seminar I had waited all morning to see was cancelled at the last minute.
I missed the 'Feet in the Clouds' bit, would have liked to have caught it. The book has been recommended to me a couple of times.
 Duncan Bourne 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:
Fantastic weekend.
Plus points:
the walk in the snow with Julie on Sat, tastic!
The seamless reading of The Owl and the Cragrat
Meeting all the lovely RT folk whom I haven't seen in ages.

Minus points:
Windermere YHA for shutting their doors at 11.30 so we had to curtail the festivities on Sat night.
the rain on Sunday

Julie had a great time meeting you all and sends her thanks from the therapy unit where her mental condition is said to be stable.
 HC~F 23 Nov 2004
In reply to Duncan Bourne: Didn't realise I'd missed Julie as well as you .
 Duncan Bourne 23 Nov 2004
In reply to helen taylor:
Different Julie.
 Simon Caldwell 24 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:
> Bouldering??? When you've spent money on tickets??

That's why I've never been to the festival. If I'm in the Lakes the only way I'd prefer to be indoors rather than on the hills is if the weather is foul. And even then I'd probably go outside anyway
 Bob 24 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Saturday was rather nice on the tops. Sunday was spent visiting friends and family.

Bob
Paul Saunders 24 Nov 2004
In reply to Simon White:
> Enjoyed least: Driving to Kendal on the Friday, looking at the snow on the fells, and realising I was going to spend one of the best days of the year sitting in a cinema.

Quite! In fact I didn't go to Kendal, I got tempted away by the fells.

Seems I am fated to miss the films every year...
 Mark Collins 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Good:
All the films I saw:
Bonnington/Houlding
The God
Trio for one
Highliner (doesn't translate well, the audiance found it hilarious)

Bad:

Changing schedules/missing films (Psicobloc) Brewery Arts Centre Sunday.
Pillars in the Malt House made it difficult to see, expecially if it had sub-titles, unless you lie down at the front.

Suggestions:

Why not go commercial with this, there were loads of people itching to buy things but nothing for sale; gear, books, films, book signings etc. People might claim that this will spoil the event, so what, call it investment in film making.
 Marc C 25 Nov 2004
In reply to Mark Collins: <Highliner - doesn't translate well>

You mean you didn't find 'Nothing is Impossible', 'Creativity is Endless', 'Like a god-shaoed leaf falling from a tree, I contemplate my journey soullwards' (OK I made the last one up) - all delivered in a pompous American accent - inspiring ??
 Mark Collins 26 Nov 2004
In reply to Marc C: My favourites were: "I'm an animal." and "It feels so good."
 Wibble Wibble 26 Nov 2004
In reply to Offwidth:

Was it just me, or did anyone else think that Dr Charlie Clarke bore more than a passing resembelence to Benny Hill?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...