Winter Rooms in Italian huts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Raitt 06 Feb 2020

I've enjoyed several early season ski tours making the most of the comfort of Swiss Winter rooms.  This year I'm planning to visit Italy in the last week of February, can anyone advise me what might be on offer in a winter room in huts in the following areas?

Grand Paradiso 

Rifugio Benevolo, Rifugio Chivasso, Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele II

Mont Thabor

Refuge I Re Magi (Also Refuge Mont Thabor/Refuge des Dreyeres in France).

In particular with regards to stove/wood/gas/blankets.  Obviously we will take our own basic supplies but always nice to know what you might expect.

Thanks

smithg 07 Feb 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele II

Warm, 3 level bunk beds with lots of blankets. Would be fine just bringing a sheet liner. Cast iron wood stove with a wide, slanting chimney pipe which helps heat the room. Early season (Dec) there was a big stack of logs and a saw, but I don’t know if it gets used up/replenished so prob worth carrying some wood in. No gas. A couple of pots/pans.

Dave Rumney 07 Feb 2020
In reply to James Raitt:

Rifugio Vittorio Emanuele II

When I was there in 2014, there were multiple separate winter rooms each with their own external access door. There first one (presumably with the nice stove) was full so we got the 2nd one. It had blankets and some pans (which needed washing), we brought a stove. All OK, but we met some British guides on the summit who had stayed in the "cabod" refugio (sp?) and said that had a stove and was a much better place to stay.

Post edited at 17:09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...