Why are my skis covered in glue?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 28 Feb 2019

I've never had issue before but this year after enjoying the snowyer conditions in the lakes and Scotland earlier in the year loads of my skin glue has come off on my skis. I havnt changed anything (apart from getting them waxed). Does anyone have any idea what causes this as I'm keen for it not to happen again.

galpinos 28 Feb 2019
In reply to ebdon:

How old are your skins and how do you store them?

OP ebdon 28 Feb 2019
In reply to galpinos:

There only 3 years old and I store them rolled up with the plastic 'skin savers' on at room temperature. They were fine last year so why it's done it this year is beyond me. Perhaps it's a protest at being taken our in crappy Scottish conditions!

philipjardine 28 Feb 2019
In reply to ebdon:

i have seen this happen when the skis have been left with the skins on and they have either frozen or got very hot

Andy Lagan 28 Feb 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Are they G3 skins?

AdrianC 28 Feb 2019
In reply to Andy Lagan:

Ha ha!  I was just about to ask the same question.

OP ebdon 28 Feb 2019
In reply to AdrianC:

No, dynafit

AdrianC 28 Feb 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Hmmmm.  Ok.

I find that with repeated use the glue tends to form globules about the size of a pea with bare patches in between.  (This is probably exacerbated by me not using those cheat-sheet things except for long-term storage of the skins.)  The small lumps are a bit more liable to stick to the skis than when the glue is new and evenly spread.

To re-spread the glue more I just use my waxing iron directly on the glued side of the skins.  The glue is quite amenable to being flattened out again and you can clean the iron afterwards with white fuel and a rag.  I do this maybe once a season.

Might be worth a try?

Misha 28 Feb 2019
In reply to ebdon:

I had this after the skis got very dry due to not being waxed when required. The ski shop thought the skis had started absorbing the glue as a result. Didn’t happen again after the glue got scraped off and the skis waxed. However you say that you have waxed them so must be something else...

tjhare1 28 Feb 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Only time it happened to me was when I took off skis left them in sunshine accidentally base to the sun. That did it for me. Might you have done similarly?

OP ebdon 28 Feb 2019
In reply to AdrianC:

Interesting, so you literally put the iron direct on the sticky side if the skins? I'll have a go. 

The only naughty thing I've done with the skins is leave them glued together without the cheat sheet in the car for a few days. I never leave them on the skis. It wouldn't be anything to do with the type of was used would it?

Neil Pratt 01 Mar 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Possibly - I think wax with fluorine in it can cause problems with skin glue

AdrianC 01 Mar 2019
In reply to ebdon:

Yep - the glue is quite easy to move around and smooth out once it's warm.  It's a handy way to extend the life of the glue so you don't have to re-glue the skins.

I should say that I haven't tried this with Dynafit glue (it works fine with BD and G3 skins) so maybe start off gently with a low iron temperature.  

By the way, getting the glue off your ski bases usually needs white fuel after which they'll need to be waxed.  Meths isn't a strong enough solvent in my experience.

philipjardine 01 Mar 2019
In reply to AdrianC:

adrian's is a good tip.  if you put some paper between the iron and the skin it works just as well and you dont get glue on the iron

OP ebdon 01 Mar 2019
In reply to philipjardine:

Cheers for the tip. I just re glued a separate pair and it was a right pita so anything to prolong the life will  be good! Allthough the amount of grass stuck to mine after this season might be more of a problem...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...