Whistler

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 03 Mar 2020

My ski group are considering a trip to whistler next winter, does anyone have any experience skiing there compared to the alps? I’ve seen some mixed reviews so wondering how it compares to somewhere like Val D’isere/Tignes/3val etc? Not looking to ski anything too hard, or technical just a nice trip with good skiing really. When is good to ski in Whistler? We normally do February in the alps, is this a good time? 

baron 04 Mar 2020
In reply to echo34:

I’ve only been there once. Last February.

The ski area is possibly as big as Tignes but nowhere near as extensive as the three valleys, etc.

The week before we were there it was really, really cold but we had a pleasant enough week except for it being very, very busy - avoid President’s day and the Canadian holidays in February.

There’s more than enough skiing for a week even if you are advanced skiers.

Everything from lift queues to mountain restaurants is well organised and Whistler itself has plenty of places to eat and drink.

I’d certainly go again as I enjoy the whole North American experience - all I need to do is start saving for the lift pass!

ClimberEd 04 Mar 2020
In reply to echo34:

what points are in the 'mixed' reviews?

I did a season there and have done multiple other trips.

It's 'like the alps, but different'. A bit like Disney land on snow. 

So it has less charm and character, but is more efficient, organised, more, 'american' really.

It's colder than the alps, but not as cold as skiing the interior resorts (banff etc.). The skiing day starts earlier and finishes earlier. Apres ski isn't nearly as raucous, as much as they would like to think otherwise. 

I would have thought an intermediate level skier would love it. 

tomsan91 04 Mar 2020
In reply to echo34:

The skiing is more varied than the alps with lots of tree skiing and hike to ride access to be had, more of the ski area is considered in-bounds compared to the alps making going off the trail less of a massive deal. It can rain in whistler due to how close the sea is and the altitude of the resort, which is only just above 700 meters at the base. It’s a good experience skiing in the Americas with the village in Whistler being the biggest there are much better options for eating out than most French resorts. The standard of skiing seems much higher than in the majority of European resorts due to the number of locals who visit the mountain, the lines for the lifts can be quite long compared to Europe as a result of this, the lines are much more polite however which makes it more bearable.

Deadeye 04 Mar 2020
In reply to echo34:

Depends on how hard you ski.

If you're comfortable with off piste, couloirs and deep powder there is nowhere better on earth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...