Vallée Blanche current conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevesmith 17 Feb 2023

Does anyone know what snow conditions are like on the Vallée Blanche right now? 

Thanks

gscw 17 Feb 2023
In reply to stevesmith:

I was up there the other day. It is getting skied but it is tricky I believe.

Graeme.

Carless 17 Feb 2023
In reply to stevesmith:

Skied it 3 days ago. Snow ok, worth stopping slightly before end and walking unless you like skiing rocks, walk up to Montenvers lift is endless. Path down arete well trodden - take crampons

Day pass now 74€ - ouch

reserve the benne in advance

worth booking in advance for some other passes

https://www.montblancnaturalresort.com/en/nos-forfaits

Post edited at 12:10
 Josh Willett 17 Feb 2023
In reply to stevesmith:

As Carless said. It's drier than usual and there are some big(ger) holes given the lack of snow last winter/ this winter and the hot summer but still good. Probably wouldn't ski down to the valley.

Post edited at 12:31
OP stevesmith 17 Feb 2023

Thanks for these replies. 
Is there a website that gives day by day info about the VB?

Mike-W-99 17 Feb 2023
In reply to stevesmith:

The alpine club definitely do an conditions report. 

philipjardine 18 Feb 2023
In reply to stevesmith:

Several comments on VB in yesterdays (Friday afternoon) Chamoniarde report.  Definitely take boot crampons for arete.  There was a crevasse death last week.  Some one went in a moulin a few weeks ago but was remarkably not injured.  The buvette is open but will involve walking both on glacier and James Bond track.

http://www.alpine-club.org.uk/news/chamonix-condtions

Post edited at 11:45
OP stevesmith 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Carless:

Thanks for that. I’ve seen reports of a couple of moulins a metre away from the route - is that on the lower Mer de Glace section?

philipjardine 18 Feb 2023
In reply to stevesmith:

yes on the flat bit between the ice fall and the grotto.  I think I have a location somewhere.  will look.  by the way the mottets buvette is shut now.

Brian in SLC 02 Mar 2023
In reply to philipjardine:

Yep...from their website (and google translate...ha ha):

"info and News: The refreshment bar is currently closed because the snow cover allowing skiers from the Vallée Blanche to go down to Chamonix, is unfortunately not sufficient"

Anyone know how the decent from the Helbronner might be, conditions wise?  

I might be game for a descent from the Midi or Italian side on or just after 23 March if anyone is interested...(hopefully pick up some snow by then...).  Cheers!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...