Trouser recommendations for ski touring

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt250 26 Mar 2017
Hi. I'm going ski touring soon in BC, Canada and was wondering what trousers/pants people would recommend. It may be spring conditions however it can still be cold at this time of year. I currently have some hardshell ones for alpine skiing which have small vents and are quite baggy for mountaineering but fine with ski boots on. I also have some thin softshells for summer alpine and uk hiking use.

I'm wondering what people find works for this. I was thinking full zip hardshells would be ideal, especially as I get pretty warm on the way up. This would allow plenty of venting but then keep the snow out the rest of the time and keep warm if the wind picked up.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.
 Si Withington 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Matt250:

I go for either Pattaguchi Backcountry Guide softshells (with thin merino leggings underneath if cold) if the weather is nice, or ProShell salopettes with a thicker Powerstretch tight type thing underneath if thins are looking a bit more 'Scottish'.

Enjoy
 blurty 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Matt250:

I've got some Mammut Base-Jump pants. Quite old now but still wearing well. Best I've ever had, rarely need to wear tights under, or shell on top.
 Jim 1003 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Matt250:

I was wearing shorts today....
 DD72 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Matt250:

Try to avoid flares.
 doz 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Matt250:

I used to wear an old pair of drainpipe cords but apparently fashion has moved on....
In reply to Matt250:

I wouldn't go hardshell for touring unless it's in really grim Alaskan weather. In the past I would have echoed Si's choice of Patagonia BC Guide, but the newer version has too much hardshell and is too baggy, In fact, I think they have discontinued it. They have this: http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-dual-point-alpine-pants-for-alpine-cl...

I've got Haglofs RnadoFlex which work well - small vents, but since they're very breathable you don't get too hot. Can wear them with nothing on hot days, thin base layer, thick base layer etc.

Your full zip hardshell will work too - plenty of my friends go for that (don't forget to put sun cream on your legs!!), I just prefer the added breathability and lower cost of softshells - especially non-branded material!
 Doug 31 Mar 2017
In reply to Matt250:

I skitoured on the Wapta Icefields several years ago in late April & although cold early in the morning it rapidly got warm - we quickly got into a routine of dawn/pre-dawn starts & aiming to be at the next hut by around midday as the snow was getting very soft by then. From memory I wore fleece tights most of the time, although I had a pair of lightweight goretex over-trousers in my sac just in case. I think they stayed in my sac all the time. But I suspect we were lucky to get such a long spell of settled good weather, don't remember any wind either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...