Tromsø Ski Mountaineering 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 05 Apr 2019

My original thread is now archived so I thought I'd start a new one here. A huge thanks to everyone that provided beta and suggestions for a Tromsø visit. We had a great two weeks exploring the area; staying in Tromsø itself, Olderdalen and on Kvaloya. All the areas were equally good.

Espen Nordahl's guidebook was excellent and we used it extensively.

Unfortunately the weather and conditions weren't ideal for anything too steep but it didn't matter as there's so much to go at. Somewhere I'll definitely be visiting again.   

A few photos from the trip can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/JamesRushforthPhotography/posts/2136978926395677?n...  

Mark Bull 05 Apr 2019
In reply to James Rushforth:

Nice shots!  Glad you had a good trip. 

Fiona Reid 05 Apr 2019

Indeed, some great shots there. My other half follows you on Facebook so we'd been looking to see where you guys had been before we headed out. 

We were out there for much of the same time (in the Tromsø area mainly but got over to Stormheimfjellet and Ullstinden overlooking Lyngen). We largely gave up believing the forecasts. Looking out the window seemed more reliable. Everytime the forecast promised sunny/clear spells it seemed to do the exact opposite. 

Brilliant snow and great skiing though when you could actually see where you were going! 

Hannah V 05 Apr 2019

Nice photos, looks like you made the most of the sunny intervals! March is a snow month in Tromsø with frequent polar lows, but usually around mid April to early May you can expect more stable weather and a more stable snowpack

Fiona Reid 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Hannah V:

Ah, I admit we knew that March would be snowy but had a week of holiday we had to use before the end of March thus took the punt.

Our previous 2 trips have been in April and had much more stable weather. Next time will be an April trip too as there's still far too many hills left on our list. 

TobyA 05 Apr 2019

Your first picture is on the east side of Kåfjord isn't it? That's a good drive from Tromsø!

OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Fiona Reid:

Ah nice, I didn't realise you were both out at the same time. I'm glad you had a good trip! 

Yes we essentially gave up on the weather forecast as well. I guess in the Norwegians defence it's so localised it must be really difficult to predict. 

In reply to Hannah V:

Beautiful gallery of photos yourself Hannah, some lovely shots of the area. Yes lots of the locals told us March is often very snowy. Already trying to free up some time late April next year  

In reply to TobyA:

It is indeed Toby, well spotted! 

We stayed in the fisherman’s huts in Olderdalen (£10 a night in Norway!) for three nights to make the drive worthwhile. 

TobyA 05 Apr 2019

My mate just WhatsApped me a shot from Kvaløya today saying the weather is now perfect!

OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 06 Apr 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Yes typically it looked perfect from the day we left. I even looked at changing flights to stay a bit longer but unfortunately there are currently too many work commitments. Next time! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...