Tromsø Ski Mountaineering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 18 Dec 2018

Hi all,

Looking to do some ski mountaineering around Tromsø in northern Norway late March next year (I know that's a little early but dates are restricted). 

Just after some logistical information / experiences from anyone that's visited the area. By the looks of it there are some itineraries right from Tromsø itself? But the main area seems to be a little further east (I'm currently researching Olderdalen)?

I assume despite the car hire companies offering 2wd you need to hire a 4x4?

Has anyone found a good ski mountaineering / ski touring guidebook to the area? We've both got lots of ski and alpine experience on the steep stuff but are equally happy just enjoying long easy days depending on the snow conditions. 

A huge thanks for any help in advance. 

Will Nicholls 18 Dec 2018
In reply to James Rushforth:

Hi James, 

I went there a few years ago - it's quality. I wrote an article, it's on UKC somewhere, but I couldn't find it. It's on our website: http://www.gaiaadventures.co.uk/blog/summit-to-sea-ski-touring-in-norway/

Hope it's useful. It mentions the name of the guidebook at the bottom. 

Have an amazing trip! 

Cheers, Will

TobyA 18 Dec 2018

It's not really early, you can ski year round in Lyngen pretty much. It could be cold though. Prime ice climbing season then too if you want to do something different on some days!

Mark Bull 18 Dec 2018

There is a second, expanded, edition of the Norwegian version of the guide book available https://www.friflyt.no/bok/toppturer-i-troms but the English version has plenty to go at for a first visit. Fri Flyt have also brought out ski touring maps for the area: https://www.friflyt.no/ski/fri-flyt-med-nye-kart

As well as Lyngen there is great touring on the Tromsø and Malangen peninsulas as well as on the islands of Kvaløya and Ringvassøya, all of which are readily accessible by car from the city. On the whole, the tours are shorter (in height gain) and mellower than Lyngen, and may offer more opportunities when the weather and/or snow conditions are not ideal.

You probably don't really need a 4x4 - studded tyres are compulsory anyway and they do a good job of keep the roads drivable.

wbo 18 Dec 2018
In reply to Mark Bull:winter tyres are obligatory but they may not be studded - check with the hire company

Fiona Reid 18 Dec 2018

The UKC article that was referred to is https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/summit_to_sea_ski_touring_...

Maps can be viewed online at Norgeskart https://www.norgeskart.no and there's an App (Norgeskart outdoors) for Android and iPhone that you can view them with too. It seems to let you download maps for offline use. 

Both times we've been out we've used Sixt for the car hire and the car has had studded tyres. Feels a bit weird but the difference from normal winter tyres is simply phenomenal. 

I'll look forward to seeing the stunning photos you'll likely take

Post edited at 21:23
 HeMa 18 Dec 2018

The FriFlyt published guide is good... but people have been skiing there long before that, just pick a nice looking mountain (map, car window or google earth/street view) and have fun.

Where to ski, depends on what ya wish (anything from too steep to nice mellow cruising) and what's the weather like... Sometimes heading westwards (out towards the sea, so northern tip of Lyngen Peninsula or Kvaloya) is smart... some times inland (Tamokdalen, Olderdalen, Kåfjorden etc.) is a good bet. Generally inlands is colder, but in March I wouldn't sweat on it being too hot too much...

No need for 4WD, unless you want to get into trouble and try to get the nearby farmer (who speaks no engish at all) to come with his tractor to pull your car out. 2WD with proper winter tires is more than enough (proper means proper... studded or studless, doens't matter as long as they aren't the shite they sell in central yurp as winter tires). Most of the times the smaller roads are packed snow (nice to drive and not too slippery), but some times they are more polished than a luge track (studded tires are better, but for those odd times 4WD with chains might be better... doesn't happen that often). So if slippery, take yer time and yer fine.

Enjoy and we all hate you...

Ps. for a nice mellow morning tour my suggestion is Blåbäerstinden (aka 'Mustikka') in Tamok, around 1200m of elevation gain on lovely open terrain...

Pps. good weather touring is not a problem around there... but when it's snowing and flat light, then the tree-skiing options aren't too abundant... Tamok has a few locales suitable for this as does a few other places... but best to bite the bullet and have a few overpriced beers & pizzas somewhere... or go ice climbing...

abr1966 18 Dec 2018

There is so much opportunity for good Ski touring, you cant go wrong in terms of areas to get to and amazing open space. As others have said Lyngen is good but can be a bit of a graft when touring. I preferred Kvaloya as an area when I lived in Norway....a bit warmer and the hills not as high! Pm me if you like, I've not been there for a long time but knew the area quite well at the time....enjoy the trip..

Dave 18 Dec 2018
In reply to HeMa:

Lots of good advice from HeMa. Olderdalen has some slighly more mellow, but still very good skiing with generally amazing views of the Lyngen peaks. There are distinct microclimates in the area, as I'm beginning to realise after my 15 plus visits there over the last twenty-something years, but in general if its unsettled head east, or ski on the east side of the Lyngen peninsula. The Ski Touring in Troms book is a good start for the classics, for more detail on Lyngen the guide 'The Lyngen Alps' is very good, with a lifetime of objectives.

TobyA 18 Dec 2018
 Hannah V 19 Dec 2018

End of March is not too early for ski touring though from my experience March is often the month when we get always get most snowfall and showery weather so the avalanche danger can often be 3. Still plenty of conservative options for powder skiing though eg. Fagerfjellet, Ullstinden, Lille Blåmann, Gråtinden, Nordfjellet - all under 30 degrees via 'normal' routes and within an hours drive from Tromsø itself. I personally think Tromsø is a great base since its very central and many areas (Kvaløya, Ringvassøya, Malangen, Tromsø mainland, Lyngen and Tamokdalen) can be accessed for day trips - driving anywhere never seems that long anyway since the view is so good. 

Guidebook-wise I would recommend Ski Touring in Troms by Espen Nordahl as most have mentioned already. A lot of these tours/peaks are popular both with guided groups and folk living in Tromsø who ski before/after work so don't expect to have totally untracked snow though!

A regular 2WD will come with winter tyres as standard if you hire a car at the airport.

If you need any more local knowledge just pm me!

OP James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 20 Dec 2018

Brilliant, thanks so much everyone. Loads of useful information there. I’ll keep researching! 

James B 21 Dec 2018

There’s a guidebook for the Lyngen Alps.  It’s expensive! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyngen-Norway-Skiing-Climbing-Trekking/dp/B00H2JOY...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...