transferring between resorts in the alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I need to get from Val Thorens to Chamonix Dec 22nd and then from Chamonix to La Plagne Dec 29th (i know its a hard life!) how easy/difficult should this prove to be? Obviously its really easy to get airport transfers but i don't much fancy going via airports. Are there any bus services that run between popular resorts at all.

thanks in advance for any help
 yorkshireman 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Graham Stephenson:

Check out the regional bus services at TransIsere. I see the buses everywhere but have never used them.

La Plagne is above Bourg St Maurice which has a train station, so that might be worth looking at (as Chamonix has a train station too).
 Pinch'a'salt 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Graham Stephenson:
Don't even think about trains... local connections into and out of the Tarentaise are crap unless you are coming from Paris! (Getting to Geneva from Moutiers on the train takes about twice the drive time...).
I don't know of any bus services running directly between any of these resorts (and I am local - Vanoise-based) - best bet is probably to get a transfer from resort to Geneva and then a transfer from there onwards.
Transavoie buses could be worth a look (as opposed to transisere..).
Removed User 19 Nov 2012
Most of the larger car hire companies allow you to drop off the car in a different location. So Moutiers to Cham may be possible; and Cham to Bourg.Plenty of local buses for resort to town.
 Bootsy 19 Nov 2012
In reply to Graham Stephenson: Although it will feel a bit uncertain, your best (and cheapest) bet is likely to be to ask around with the Tour Ops when in resort. You're coming and going from major resorts on a Saturday judging by your dates so there will be dozens of transfer coaches on all the major routes + there's only one of you. Although transfer reps are not meant to accept cash in hand for hitch-hikers many do since it's a nice little side-earner for them.

If you can find someone willing to take you from VT to Geneva airport then you can either get one of the many shuttle services to Chamonix or try and blag your way on to another transfer coach. Same thing coming back and even if you can't find a transfer coach from Geneva to La Plagne, you'll find one Geneva to BSM and can get a bus / taxi from there to LP.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...