Touring / Offpiste in April 2020 - Guided?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 11 Dec 2019

Hello ukclimbing,

I would fit myself into the category of "climbers who have learnt to ski" rather than "skiers who have learnt to climb. I've probably done about two weeks' touring, only day-tours though, and enough piste skiing to be happy with anything on piste, though struggle in big moguls. I probably start survival skiing at about 35 degrees, or 30 if it's icy. I've done a reasonable amount of avy training/searching, and have climbed to about grade IV scottish, AD+/TD- alpine.

I want to get more confident, and spend some time skiing more difficult and interesting offpiste. None of my friends are around and available next april, so I have resigned myself to joining a group or paying for a guide.

I'd equally love to do most of the above as part of a hut-to-hut tour - probably not the haute, but maybe one of the higher traverses in Italy?

What would you girls and guys do in my position? Can you recommend any companies (i know the Thackers' weeks seem to stop in march) that offer something like this?

All help much appreciated!

Doug 11 Dec 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

You could join the Eagle Ski Club & go on one or more of their tours - mix of guided & unguided & various levels of difficulties & seriousness

https://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/

ben b 11 Dec 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

Really highly recommend John Eames and Bonny Masson off the Telemark & Off -Piste Ski Co. They are very, very experienced, wise, safe, fun and good people. Bonny was a very good climber in her day.

Very few people are on tele gear these days so you won't be the odd one out. They definitely do weeks off piste around Cervinia in April. Cheap flights at that time of year and off season accomodation deals, but high resort so lots of terrain available even then.

Link here http://www.telemarkskico.com/off-piste-index.htm

We (Mrs B and the younglings) had a week with them this year and they were as excellent as ever. Previously we have been ski touring in the mountains of Greece and Norway; it's always been fun.

b

Pinch'a'salt 11 Dec 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

If you want to "get more confident and spend more time skiing more difficult and interesting offpiste" then put the touring on hold for a trip and use a lift system to get mileage on that kind of off piste terrain. (Yes I know that doesn't quite fit with your OP..! ) It is hard on the context particularly of a hut to hut tour to spend enough time going downhill to really make much change to yoru skiing.

Plenty of lift based off piste coaching/guiding providers...

www.offpisteskiing.com will get you started and search engines will do the rest...).

mcdweeb 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Pinch'a'salt: well, why not just do a tour rather than simply train for one. Personally, hut-to-hut is the be all and end all of my ski touring life, join a group and learn about and practice glacier travel, crevasse rescue and avalanche precautions from an expert. Oh and have a tour in the Alps too, great fun. Do some steep skiing inevitably somewhere along the way.

I use Alpine Guides but I’m “time poor” and can afford their rates. I’ve had a good experience on four of their trips, you’d have plenty of time to discuss your needs with them before booking.

The Eagle Ski Club are also well thought of.

OP neuromancer 12 Dec 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

I'll have to look at the eagle for next year. All of the trips still open note a requirement to essentially be at the level where you can comfortably ski tight 35-40 degree offpiste couloirs making carved turns, so the entry level is a bit high for me. 

Thanks for the tip on the cervina offpiste weeks. 

JuneBob 12 Dec 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

If you're interested in getting better at skiing steep slopes, consider the resorts with itinerary runs, something like Verbier. There are huge lift accessed ungroomed runs, and with an instructor you can learn how to ski them well. If you can then you'll be fine on steep offpiste. Note that unless they're Jeremie Heitz, most people do short turns on steep slopes, not carving.

Pinch'a'salt 12 Dec 2019
In reply to mcdweeb:

Well the OP said he wants to get more confident and spend more time skiing more difficult terrain... The way to do this is by spending time going downhill rather than uphill...

Frank4short 17 Dec 2019
In reply to mcdweeb:

Also Pinch'a'Salt is probably this parishes best skier and a world recognised off piste ski instructor. SO with that in mind i'd take his position over yours. 

jabc 17 Dec 2019
In reply to mcdweeb:

One or two actually steep descents in a week, with a bag full of crevasse gear and provisions for the week and less than ideal snow conditions in all likelihood is not the best way of learning how to ski steeper terrain. 

Id suggest some lift accessed day tours. Ski on glaciers, get in some skinning, have a lie in, sleep in an actual bed, beer for under 10 euros. What's not to like?

Post edited at 13:36
 George.D 19 Dec 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

I would spend time early/mid-season focussing on freeride/off-piste days to hone this, rather than learning on a tour. Then put it all together in the spring with skins.

BASS Chamonix might be a good option - they have similar courses available to offpiste performance.

You might also want to check out the Chamonix guides webpage - they offer a good range of off-piste courses, from weekends to full weeks. Steep skiing is something they usually have a few specific courses on - there are lots of accessible couloirs on the Aguilles Rouges side they go to. You can often join a pre-existing group too.  You will end up with a French guide, but they usually can speak some English and you can request this. Chamex probably do something similar.

Other option is more pricey, but to hire a guide and say you want to specifically work on this for a few days - you don't need a full IFMGA if you stay off glaciated terrain. Again, Cham guides office have a winter menu of "pente raide" guided couloirs and prices.

Also bear in mind there are resorts (e.g. Zermatt) which offer itinerary terrain which is avalanche controlled but not "pisted" / patrolled as such. Whilst I wouldn't recommend venturing onto extreme terrain or into "proper" off-piste alone, these can be skiied without a partner or guide if confident.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...