Third Party Insurance Compulsory in Ski Areas: Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aostaman 28 Sep 2021

See below a link to an article in La Gazetta dello Sport. It's in Italian and I can't yet find a full English translation. It is a 'Decreto legislativo' so this is a national piece of legislation.

This makes it compulsory for those using 'alpine ski pistes' to have insurance which covers for third party risk. It's similar to it being compulsory to have this insurance for cars here in the UK.

The only exclusion that I can see is for cross country ski-ing (sci fondo in Italian). Ski tourers should be aware of this as well, if you go onto piste areas. There is provision for enforcement with fines, 100 to 150 Euros and they will remove your ski pass. In the next couple of years, I am sure the piste Police (which in Italy are 'real police) will be enforcing this. 

If you do take your own insurance, it will almost certainly require an Italian translation to prove cover.

It comes into force 1st January 2022

I'll forward this to the BMC although their insurers are I am sure aware. 

Other readers / speakers of Italian, please have a look at it and just check my understanding.

https://www.neveitalia.it/assicurazioni-sci/news/assicurazione-obbligatoria...

HeMa 28 Sep 2021
In reply to aostaman:

Not all that unexpected.

After all, skiing recklessly is a good way to hurt a lot of other (so fast, and not in control).

But what I find interesting is, that why don't the ski-companies get this built-in to the lift prices. That way, everyone skiing there (non tourers) have the liability insurance in play. And ski-tourers (not having a valid ticket), well are responsible of their own actions (be it, they have their own insurance, or pay the fines... both or "trespassing" and also for lack of insurance). 

Doug 28 Sep 2021
In reply to HeMa:

Most French resorts I've skied in have always asked if I want insurance when buying a lift pass. As I have insurance for skiing (piste & touring) by being a member of the French alpine club I don't bother & don't see why I should have to pay for insurance a second time. Maybe they should refuse to sell tickets without insurance to those who can't show they are already covered ?

OP aostaman 28 Sep 2021
In reply to aostaman:

Just spoke to the BMC. They do cover 3rd party liability £2m plus £50k for legal costs. 

I think a few people take the Austrian AC insurance, this might be worth checking.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...