Strava for skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 supersteve 12 Feb 2020

Am off skiing next week and would like to use Strava to track my days. Only issue is I would have to save each run individually if I didn't want it to record the lifts. If I paused the app on the lifts, would this work, or just confuse it? I also see there is an app called Slopes which has all the useful features and exports information to Strava, but this only appears to be compatible with Apple phone, and I am a Samsung person. Anyone with a Samsung got any suggestions? If I can't record my days on Strava, any other ski app suggestions? 

Fiona Reid 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

The Ski Tracks app works out when you're on lifts or skiing etc and counts the number of runs, distance, ascent, descent etc. Plus it can plot a map of where you went. I think you can export the tracks too. 

Post edited at 11:18
 kevin stephens 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

I use my Suunto Traverse watch for skiing, set to “alpine skiing “ when I import the data to Strava it records number of runs, total descent , max altitude and the usual speed and altitude vs distance charts

TobyA 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

Why worry about it? Just put strava on all day and you'll see how much up and down you've done at the end. There is an alpine skiing option on strava anyway. 

Or go ski touring where you "earn" your downs with your ups!

dsh 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

It knows when you're on the lift at least for your total vertical skied stat, not sure about mileage.

yorkshireman 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

If you choose ski (on my watch anyway but assume on the Strava app) as an activity it disregards the uphills and treats them as lifts, so you just leave it recording all the time you're out. It then only tracks your downhill runs and gives you distance, max and average speed etc.

Here's an example so you can see what it records. Its nice for posterity but I don't use it seriously. However if you use Strava anyway its easy enough to use without cluttering up your phone with another app.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3073483465

Rigid Raider 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

I spend quite a lot of time looking at the Strava Global Heatmap, which tells you an awful lot about levels of disposable income, free time and spare energy around the world. Amazing to see that in Lagos, a city I know well, people appear to be running and cycling along the Third Mainland Bridge, which I'd have thought would be the quickest route to suicide. The bit around Parlick PIke just north of Longridge in Lancashire had me puzzled; lots of weird swooping trails with no apparent relationship to the terrain. It took me a while to work out that they were made by the parascenders who like to use the updrafts there. 

https://www.strava.com/heatmap#7.00/-120.90000/38.36000/hot/all

Post edited at 14:51
OP supersteve 12 Feb 2020
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks for all the advice. Will have a play next week and see how it goes.

Roadrunner6 12 Feb 2020
In reply to supersteve:

They just set the sport as alpine ski dont they?

Frank4short 13 Feb 2020
In reply to yorkshireman:

> If you choose ski (on my watch anyway but assume on the Strava app) as an activity it disregards the uphills and treats them as lifts, so you just leave it recording all the time you're out. It then only tracks your downhill runs and gives you distance, max and average speed etc.

It's never been entirely obvious to me that it actually does this. When i look at my own strava recordings of previous ski holidays where i've had my strava on my phone set for "alpine skiing" it appears to show climbing sections, etc in the distance and track. I'm not convinced it's been cutting out the ascent portions in daily distance tracks. 

All of that said i've recently got a new fangled garmin for my bike which i've uploaded some skiing apps to too which i plan on using on a forthcoming ski hol. Hopefully i'll be able to discern the difference then.

Edit: So i've looked at your strava and you are correct it doesn't count the up hill. However on mine even when set as alpine skiing it definitely does count in the uphill. Must be something deep in the minutia of the settings that does it as just switching activity to alpine skiing definitely doesn't just automatically do it. https://www.strava.com/activities/2227032513

Post edited at 07:43
 dsh 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Frank4short:

I noticed that my Alpine skiing only recently started recording the Vertical skied stat as opposed to just mileage and elevation change. So it may depend on the version of the app.

Toerag 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> The bit around Parlick PIke just north of Longridge in Lancashire had me puzzled; lots of weird swooping trails with no apparent relationship to the terrain. It took me a while to work out that they were made by the parascenders who like to use the updrafts there. 

Same here - there's a square of tracks just off the east coast of Guernsey which is from people doing rowing races.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...