Snowmobiles in Cairngorms ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tenbob 06 Mar 2020

Went for a ski tour from Glenshee west to Beinn Iutharn Mhor and back.  Great day but disturbing to see lots of snowmobile tracks criss crossing the area and going up most of the hills.  Some of the tracks a few days old, and some fresh so trips over multiple days.  We saw and heard the snowmobile but they didn't come close enough to speak.

Not sure who has a snowmobile :

Ski centre but unlikely to be them as today was probably one of their busiest days?

Estates - unlikely as they were not doing any work, and they would have crossed between two if not more estates?

Braemar Mountain rescue apparently have snowmobiles but this was clearly not training?

Some merchant banker out for a jolly on their new toy?

I'm not sure who can use snowmobiles in the Cairngorms?  At the very least I think they'd need the landowner permission.  Can anyone shed any light ?  It would be a concern if this becomes a common occurance or the thin end of the wedge and loads of snowmobiles start wizzing round the Cairngorms.

Fruitbat 06 Mar 2020
In reply to tenbob:

Jetskiers' winter activity...

Basemetal 06 Mar 2020
In reply to tenbob:

Just the one?

Turfty 06 Mar 2020
In reply to tenbob:

Was up that way a week and a half ago - skinned up the line of the Allt Coolah.  Snowmobile tracks everywhere, looked like people where up having a play about on them.  However seems they are also using them for working - replenishing raised feed points for Grouse?  After being up Carn a Gheoidh, went across to Carn Mor, discovering a hut along the way, about 350 metres from its top.  Went in for some lunch and to get out of the wind - and then a gamekeeper turned up on a snowmobile.  He dropped off a big gas burner and cylinder and was then on his way.  I noticed though that he had what seemed to be the barrel of a rifle, with a small silencer, sticking out of his rucksac - not absolutely sure this is what it was but couldn't imagine what else.  Possibly for shooting hares?  He wasn't unfriendly as such but sure wasn't going to pass the time of day with us.

Bob Aitken 07 Mar 2020
In reply to tenbob:

A couple of winters back I saw a snowmobile on the Goet above Loch Wharral (Glen Clova) - it kept its distance.  Two men on board, one definitely with a rifle.  I suspect that when there's good snow cover, estates are using them on these plateau tops for various 'land management' activities including late-season hind culling and hare shooting.  Not too many folk around to check whether or not they're observing the relevant closed seasons .... 

And on a fine day I can imagine estate proprietors, visitors or staff quite enjoy a wee buzz around the tops just for fun.

OP tenbob 07 Mar 2020
In reply to Turfty:

I did wonder if it was one of the estates, but these tracks are extensive - all the way from Loch Vrotachan, across An Socach, Bein Iutharn Mhor/Bheag, Carn an Righ,  Loch nan Eun.  So they were on at least 3 different estates - Invercauld, Mar and Fealar.  They certainly didn't appear to be working just on a jolly.

PPP 07 Mar 2020
In reply to tenbob:

> Some merchant banker out for a jolly on their new toy?

Ya know, quads don't really work on snow... 

A9 09 Mar 2020
In reply to tenbob:

I've seen snowmobiles out in the monadhliath before - apparently open season for shooting mountain hares finishes on March 1st.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/37000-mountain-hares-killed-one-year...

mcdweeb 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Bob Aitken: I’ve met an Atholl Estates gamekeeper on a snowmobile on A B Beag above Drumochter, he was looking for hinds for a shoot on the next day. Very friendly, I think he was the head-keeper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...