Skin ski tip attachment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 23 Jan 2019

How does the new style of colltex front tip attachments glue into the ski? 

Im looking to cut up an old pair of skins to use on another pair of skis and need to change the tip fitting. 

Im assuming it’s glued on, but what with? 

Thanks! 

kevin stephens 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Tim Davies:

I would be surprised and concerned if it wasn’t riveted?

In reply to kevin stephens:

A lot of skin tip fittings are just loops of wire that the skin goes through and then sticks back to itself. Works fine if the glue is ok 

Dave 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Tim Davies:

Difficult to tell without a picture... lots of ways to attach fittings to skins. If its a plastic or metal fitting of some kind you could probably rivet it if its quite thick or, if its thin enough, sew it. I make up my own skins from lengths bought off a roll and ususally sew the tip fittings on or by sewing a tab of the skin back on itself (plush to plush) to make a loop for a wire or cord. Or I did until I broke the sewing machine last week and had to rivet one on.

Post edited at 22:41
 oldie 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Dave:

Firstly I've nil knowledge about skins. However for some mending jobs I use one of the widely available flexible adhesives backed up with stainless steel staples from Amazon (ordinary office stapler)......might be of use and easier and? stronger than some hand sewing.

blurty 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Tim Davies:

My 2YO Coltex skins have 2 rivets and a thick piece of plastic across the width of the tip with a hook in each corner.

Jon at the Piste Office (in Notts) sells coltex by the metre, I'm sure he'd sell the fittings separately if you contact him

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...