Skiing in canada.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Considering pushing the boat out yhis year and skiing in canada rather than europe.. just your regular lift accessed downhill. Was thinking of 6 days skiing then 3 day in vancouver/toronto/other

Where to go?
When to go?
How/who to go with (operator)?

Can anyone weigh in. The other option was really pushing things and going for Japan?
 John Ww 14 Aug 2017
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

We stayed in Banff and skied at Sunshine, Norquay, and Golden - and while the service beats European resorts hands down, we were pretty disappointed with the skiing compared to Europe for two main reasons. Firstly, wherever you go, you need a pretty lengthy bus journey (2hrs to Golden if I remember correctly). Secondly, compared to (for example St. Anton) the actual on-piste area is much smaller. It might say that there are X miles of piste, but it doesn't say that each piste is only 50m away from its neighbour on each side. All in all, not somewhere we'll be rushing back to.

HTH, JW
 La benya 14 Aug 2017

What John describes is very common for people that aren't used to North American skiing. It's ALL about the off piste.
Loads of resorts don't require a bus including whistler, Fernie, big white.

East coast isn't worth bothering with, they barely have mountains. West is best as long as theres snow. Vancouver is a great town. A week isn't very long for a considerable flight.
 Chris the Tall 14 Aug 2017

Had an amazing 2 week trip this year organised by Ski Safari - best ski trip I've ever had (and done around 50). Got some good advice on here and started to write up a trip report - will see if I can dig it out.

Went to Panorama, Revelstoke, kicking horse and Banff (one day at Sunshine, one day at lake Louise). I can understand why John W was unimpressed with the latter, the bus rides are a pain, but the other 3 resorts were ski-in, ski-out.

But the skiing in all four was brilliant, particularly if you like venturing off-piste without a guide. I say off-piste, but everything we did was in-bounds and patrolled - and fantastic steep powder runs, mostly amidst well spaced trees. Quite enjoyed the pistes too, generally quiet, but not worth going all that way for. And my advice would be to go for at least 10 days, go to at least two resorts and give yourself a rest day on the Saturday - the one day we encountered long queues - most days none at all.
 Chris the Tall 14 Aug 2017

Here's the thread I started last year https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=648548&v=1#x8376199

And one piece of advice I got told out there was that it really pays to book early, I.e around now
 John Ww 15 Aug 2017
In reply to John Ww:
Oh aye, just remembered that we went to Kicking Horse and Lake Louise as well.

JW
Oh, well that gives me stuff to think about. Thanks

Rigid Raider 15 Aug 2017

I spent 10 days in Breckenridge (OK that's the USA) and remember the skiing being un-challenging compared with, say, Grands Montets or St Anton but the snow being fabulously powdery thanks to the cold dry atmosphere.
 ed woods 15 Aug 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Agree that Breck doesn't compare to Grands Montets in terms of challenge (come on, where does? , but I'd say there's comparable spicy terrain around Lake Chutes and Six Senses (and elsewhere on the ridge) to St Anton. All a short hike away, with 'better' snow, better patrolling...
 ed woods 15 Aug 2017

Where to go? Go to Colorado. Buy an Epic Local pass now (before the prices go up) - covers all major Summit County resorts for about $650. Go for 10 days and you'll realise what a good deal $65/day is when you get there.
When to go? March. Jan/Feb are cold and stormy.
How/who to go with (operator)? Fly to Denver, rent a car (suitable for driving the I-70 - SUV, chains etc) and spend 10 days between Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, & Vail. You can find cheaper accommodation in Frisco for Breck/Keystone/A-Basin. Or the Bivvi Hostel in Breck is really good. Look at AirBnB & VRBO for Vail (East Vail village is good for cheaper condo rentals)
In reply to ed woods:

I lived in Breck for a year and the last 6 years in Colorado.

I'd go in Jan or Feb because cold and stormy means powder days and that's what you should go there for. Lake Chutes to Grand Montets - not even close. Snow quality is the attraction.

March can be late season in Colorado and getting a bit warm.
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Breckenridge is my least favorite Colorado resort. If you want a steeper North American resort, try Jackson Hole.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...