Skiing Austria in November

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Anyone been skiing in Austria in Nocember? Trying to get an idea of what conditions could (not will) be like.
Post edited at 17:00
 inboard 20 Jul 2017
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

If you're lucky, reasonable to good; if you're unlucky nonexistent (but possibly good hillwalking). Glaciers likely to be acceptable (but only for pisted stuff). Touring can be good if you're lucky with snow but head to meadow areas which come into condition more quickly than rockier slopes. Check on snowheads for posts by Clarky999 and nozawaonsen who (afaik) live in Tirol and seem to get out lots.
In reply to inboard:

Thanks v much for your v helpful reply.

All the best.
 inboard 21 Jul 2017
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

I've only tended to be there for touring from early-mid Dec so my knowledge for Nov is gleaned from watching conditions reports like a hawk.

I should have said: in Nov, most (lower & non-glacial) resorts likely to be shut except (if there's snow) possibly at weekends, although I think some open early if conditions good. If it's piste skiing you're after then Austria has a good selection of glaciers (Kitzsteinhorn, Stubai, Sölden etc) that will have national teams training, and high resorts with good snow making (Ischgl, Obergurgl) that might just be open. If you're looking to earn your turns then things are rather different (tho of course no less weather-dependant).

if it were me (and I could easily imagine going to Austria in November were we able to take leave during termtime) I'd go looking forward to a holiday in the mountains rather than a ski holiday: take plenty books, hillwalking boots, and try to keep flexibility in your plans (accommodation can be safely left to last-minute booking, so if it's really bad you can head for a few days of fun in Munich/ Vienna/ Salzburg or enjoying the food in N Italy...).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...