Ski touring set up for shorties

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gemmazrobo 13 Oct 2019

Been trying (for over a year!) to find a seemingly impossible set up. 

Can anyone give me recommendations of some touring ski’s that are pretty light but can handle the cruddy down/fairly forgiving for the intermediate skier? The issue- must come in a ~153cm! Or smaller... 

Intended use- light enough for fairly long ski tours and descents in the alps(eg. Mt buet in Chamonix, Gran Paradiso) stable enough for the crud there and classic Scottish ski descents, approaches to rock and mixed climbs up high. Will be paired with light pin bindings. 

Context- I’m just about 5ft and 45kg, so not exactly charging... (steeps...I’m working on it) the only ones I seem to find short enough are some skimo models eg. Dynafit tour,  Scott superguides which at my skill level I’ve found harder to keep control/an edge in challenging or steeper conditions. So many brands don’t even go that small- black crow etc. 

Aware this might be a fairly big ask and that solution may well be get stronger/better and light vs stable is always a payoff but any recommendations would be very useful!

random_watcher 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Gemmazrobo:

Maybe have a look at some of the bigger skiing manufacturers, Atomic (backland), Salomon (Mtn) and Dynastar (vertical) all make touring skis around the 150cm size. 

girlymonkey 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Gemmazrobo:

I am also 5ft, I ski on Scott Maya, 155cm. They are not super light touring specific, but I really like them. They are quite old now, don't know if there is an equivalent on the market at the moment, but I think they are considered all mountain skis. I have done loads of touring on them and used them on piste and found them excellent on both.

daWalt 13 Oct 2019
In reply to Gemmazrobo:

Nordica Astral - available in 151

if the info is correct then these are relatively heavy for a touring ski - possibly more a backcountry ski imho.

I would have thought dynafit tour and scott superguides are the type of this you want. these aren't aren't skimo - that kind of race stuff is proper 2 sheets of paper with an edge. there's a decent choice of touring skis around 153: movement apple, atomic backland, dynastar vertical and many more...

at your size and weight I suggest you don't get anything heavy; the proportional weight increase is not worth the minor downhill benefit. you don't want to knacker yourself out dragging heavy stuff around; it's always more difficult to ski in "challenging" conditions - it's the conditions not the skis.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...