Ski touring Iceland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fenski 26 Oct 2018

We are planning a trip to Iceland in April/May ski touring (well actually split boarding), most likely the Troll peninsula, but tbh haven't had time to really into it in detail yet. 

Any pointers on when/where to be heading, must do tours etc, where to stay, guidebooks etc??

We are pretty self sufficient and happy heading out without guides, but looking to do days tours from a cabin/lodge of some sort.

Will be hiring a car, or 4x4 if necessary.

Cheers

Mark Bull 26 Oct 2018
In reply to fenski:

Trollaskagi peninsula is the place to go - I've been a couple of times in April/early May, when there's been plenty of snow, though a bit of a mixed bag weather-wise.

We've flown from Reykjavik to Akureyri and hired a car there: driving from Reykjavik is possible, though there is a risk that the road west of Akureyri is blocked by snow. There is a reasonable selection of  self-catering in the area, most of which is listed on the popular accommodation websites.

There is no guidebook that I know of, but I'd be happy to share my notes about various tour options if you PM me  (I don't do seriously steep stuff though!). Maps do exist but are hard to get hold of online: bookshops in Reykjavik of Akureyri may be your best bet.

Post edited at 19:36
 ben b 26 Oct 2018
In reply to fenski:

John and Bonny from the Telemark Ski Co are running a trip back there next year (but they take alpine skiers and split boarders for sure), and I highly recommend them. Bear in mind Iceland can get quite expensive.

http://www.telemarkskico.com/trips5.htm#iceland

cheers

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...