Ski touring equipment for beginners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 magdala21 23 Oct 2022

Hi everyone!
This season I want to start my adventure with ski touring. I need to complete the appropriate equipment: skis, boots and ski poles. (I’m 173cm and 54kg). 
I’m also looking for ski touring clothing. 
Does anyone have any recommendations? What features and brands should I be looking at?
Any advice and tips would be much appreciated. 
Thanks in advance for your help😁

gooberman-hill 23 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

Where are you planning to be / go? UK or Alps? How good a skier are you?

You might want to think about a Decathlon package to get set up at a reasonable price. Alternately, if you can get factory seconds of skis, they can be really good value  (I got a really nice pair of Ogso's from Apres Ski in Chamonix). Look for last season's boots online of you know your size and fit - there are some good deals to be had.

Remember you will need an ARVA / probe / shovel combo too!

john345= 23 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

Decathlon do touring stuff now, really good value, skis, skins, ARVA etc

Carless 24 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

Loads of interesting stuff to read  https://www.alpine-guides.com/ski/insider-knowledge-ski/

Yanchik 24 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

Consider joining the Eagle Ski Club. It claims (I know no better) to be the largest UK touring-focused ski club. A certain amount of used equipment sales and some initiatives to get young people/students access to tours and equipment, whether hire/subsidised/whatever. 

Boots, skis, bindings, poles, skins, harscheissen

Probe, metal-edged shovel, beacon

Possibly axe and boot crampons

Plus winter mountaineering/survival kit. 

Y

In reply to magdala21:

Don’t worry, I am sure someone will be along soon whose first post will be a lovely link to a ski touring site 🤨

Go bother someone else magdala21.

Post edited at 11:01
OP magdala21 25 Oct 2022
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Thanks for your advice. I'm planning to go mainly in Austria - Stubaier Gletscher. I have been skiing since I was a child, so I think I'm a good skier. I considered decathlon, but I'm not convinced to their quality. I'll probably search for the used one online or maybe visit store. 

OP magdala21 25 Oct 2022
In reply to Carless:

Thank you! I' ll take a look at it.

OP magdala21 25 Oct 2022
In reply to john345=:

Thank you  maybe I' ll find something interesting for myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...