Ski Hire - Colorado

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whenry 27 Oct 2021

We're going skiing in Colorado next year (splitting our time between Crested Butte and a selection of others - TBC, but likely to include Keystone and Breckenridge) and flying into Denver. Does anyone have any recommendations for ski hire?

Epic ski rental seems to be ridiculously expensive even with the discount for a pass, and there seems to be quite a variety of prices. We'd be after fairly decent all mountain or powder skis. Bringing our own is also an option...

Thanks!

HeMa 28 Oct 2021
In reply to whenry:

If you have good skis (and kit) that are suited to the terrain you plan on skiing. Then I'd bring them, after all then they'll behave the way you know.

But if your gear is not suited, is really old... or lame. Then renting some good stuff is advised, as you'll enjoy your holiday more when the enjoy the skiing.

Note, that you can get some really good/botique skis from US rentals. E.g. I DPS rentals were available in CO, (atleast one had them, closer to VAIL though). These are skis that retail for ~1000 USD and up... plus bingins (~150-200 USD). Really nice to ski, too bad I sold mine (orig. Lotus 138) but they just didn't get enough time on the snow...

philipivan 28 Oct 2021
In reply to whenry:

How are the prices to buy some of your kit? Years ago I would often fly into US or Canada, but climbing or kayaking gear (and get a refund on some sales taxes) then fly back with it. You'd also save on outgoing excess baggage. Might be worth comparing that to the hire cost. I could probably have made a profit if I'd sold the stuff on return. 

OP whenry 28 Oct 2021
In reply to HeMa:

Our skis aren't really suited to the terrain - very definitely piste skis. We've hired skis (or got them included from UCPA) when we've been doing off-piste stuff in Europe. We've been considering buying new all mountain skis for a while though, so it's a consideration.

OP whenry 28 Oct 2021
In reply to philipivan:

I've not looked seriously yet, but they seem roughly comparable to the cost in the UK. I don't think we'd save on baggage - skis will fit into our luggage allowance. It's an option, though...

dsh 28 Oct 2021
In reply to whenry:

> We've been considering buying new all mountain skis for a while though, so it's a consideration.

Rent demo skis from a shop in the town off mountain should get you the cheapest prices for proper skis. You can try a bunch and usually if you want to buy them they'll credit some of what you spent on the demos back on the skis (they'll give you new ones don't let them give you the demo ones).

This might not apply to Breck where the entire town is owned by Vail pretty much but I did this in CO when I only had skinny skis and it worked out.

ATGNI 28 Oct 2021
In reply to whenry:

https://rental.christysports.com/

These guys have branches near every major resort in CO.

OP whenry 29 Oct 2021
In reply to dsh:

Good idea. We'll bear that in mind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...