ski helmet choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 magdala21 23 Oct 2022

Hi everyone!

I’m planning to buy a new ski helmet for this season. My old one - Head Stivot Race Carbon is too small for me anymore. I wonder which of these will be better: Shred Mega Brain Bucket or Poc Skull Orbic Comp Spin? 

I ski mainly for recreational purposes with children, but it happens that I train in slalom riding and take part in competitions.

It is important to me that the helmet will be durable and will serve me for a long time. 

Any other recommendations are welcome )

David Bennett 23 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

I’d go with something that has MIPS technology to better protect against rotational brain injury which can result from glancing blows. More info here https://mipsprotection.com/

there are some FIS rated MIPS helmets https://www.sweetprotection.com/en-gb/helmets/ski-snowboard-helmets/race-he...

Dark-Cloud 24 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

Buy one one that fits, they are all very different, some models of POC fit me some don't, Smith do, Giro don't, go try some on.

Post edited at 13:46
 Philb1950 24 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

I would have thought if you compete you should know more about ski helmets than anyone on UKC

ben b 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Philb1950:

I know, right? It’s almost like Magdala and Wiktoriaz joined on the same day to both ask weirdly non-specific or hyper-specific questions about climbing adjacent kit, that are weirdly similar. Can’t think where this is going…

b

RX-78 24 Oct 2022
In reply to ben b:

How does a ski helmet get too small? 

Dark-Cloud 24 Oct 2022
In reply to ben b:

Nice to see its not just me who suspects all that’s sort of posts to be bots, the other ski equipment one was a bit more obvious

Post edited at 20:38
OP magdala21 24 Oct 2022
In reply to David Bennett:

Thank you! I' ll take a look at it.

OP magdala21 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Philb1950:

I just wanted to get additional opinions. In addition, I don't ski as a professional, but I have participated in some races when I was a child. I thought that maybe some of you have one of these models or know something about it. 

OP magdala21 24 Oct 2022
In reply to RX-78:

I meant, I just grew out of it. 

OP magdala21 24 Oct 2022
In reply to ben b:

I thought this was a forum for people to ask specific questions and dispel their doubts. I prefer to ask for the opinions people, who have the same passion as me and who may know something about skiing. 

OP magdala21 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm affraid I have to worry you, because your suspicion is wrong - I'm not a bot. Like I said, I thought it would be a forum where I could ask questions about ski equipment and someone could give me advice. 

Post edited at 21:29
 ben b 24 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21: And if I have done you a disservice I apologise. UKC has been (like many open forums) struggling to control the number of bot and sock-puppet accounts, and I suspect we have a heightened sense of distrust as a result.

I am unfamiliar with those models, but agree a MIPS lid is sensible and out of season they are often cheap online if you know which size you need. Sportpursuit often has Smith MIPS lids at half price. Decathlon also worth looking at especially so you can try on. 

b

Pina 24 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

The only thing I'd add to the advice above is that seeing as you also started a thread asking about touring setups I'm assuming that's what you'll be using the helmet for? I've found a lot of ski helmets are aimed at piste skiing where the weight isn't so much a factor and some can be a bit chunky and heavy. Worth looking at something like the Solomon MTN lab which is reasonably light and multi-norm (rated for climbing, skiing and cycling).

Dark-Cloud 25 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

Apologies for accusing you of being a Bot.

I refer you to my earlier comment from yesterday, helmet fit varies, one persons recommendation is another's advice against, try and find a shop that stocks a decent range and try a few different models on, i would also go for MIPS if possible.

ben b 25 Oct 2022

In reply to Timothy E. Boyce:

I wonder why, Timothy registered today, you have linked to a commercial site which is unrelated to the content of your post or the thread?

b

TobyA 25 Oct 2022
In reply to ben b:

And has anyone seen Tim and Mags in the same room at the same time? 😆 At least it was backcountry ski trips not anti vax shite.

Dark-Cloud 25 Oct 2022
In reply to TobyA:

LOL, rumbled, hey @Magdala21 care to declare your interests now?

OP magdala21 25 Oct 2022
In reply to ben b:

Okay, I understand, no problem....Bots are everywhere these days. Thank you. I’ll look at the MISP online, because I’m not convinced in quality of decathlon equipment.

OP magdala21 25 Oct 2022
In reply to Pina:

I’m sorry I didn’t make myself clear. I need this helmet only for alpine skiing. For skitouring I already have one. Additionally, thanks for the advice. 

OP magdala21 25 Oct 2022
In reply to TobyA:

I'm not an advertiser or something. I registered on this forum to ask this specific question, because I needed a honest opinions about this ski helmets. I don’t understand why everyone is accusing me on my posts. 

David Bennett 25 Oct 2022
In reply to Pina:

I noticed that too but I think racing and touring have mutually exclusive requirements for helmets. Touring, yes light is right, but for racing FIS has requirements like hard plastic covering the ears which means you end up with something more bulky and heavier. If you race and tour I think that means 2 helmets

Pina 25 Oct 2022
In reply to David Bennett:

That explains it. Still, having spent considerable time with cycling and climbibg helmets on, the weight of alpine skiing helmets bothered me until I got a triple norm one touring one which I now use for alpine too.

TobyA 25 Oct 2022
In reply to magdala21:

So why register on a British climbing website to ask a question about downhill skiing gear? Surely there is some skiing forum where loads of people would have valid opinions about the helmets you're interested in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...