Ski accommodation recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rory Shaw 31 May 2022

Hello

I'm looking for some accommodation in the Alps for January 2023. We are not fixed on any particular location.

It's for a group of about 8 to 10, mixed ability but no real beginners. There are also a couple of young children so access to the piste for quick parental change over etc useful

Also great if there is decent off piste. We will probably hire a car or drive so happy to drive a little for good day tours or easy peaks.

Any recommendations? It's hard to know where to start. We enjoyed the Briancon area a couple of years back.

Thanks

Rory

LastBoyScout 31 May 2022
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Chalet at somewhere like Les Houches - good variety of runs, can get a chalet close to the pistes and short drive up the valley for more experienced.

Courcheval has good off-piste stuff, but is quite expensive. Also a good toboggan run from 1850 to 1550 in the evenings.

Alpe d'Huez has quite a lot going on for non-skiers.

mike123 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Rory Shaw: have a look at saint gervais or contamines . The chamonix valley is probably the best I the world for off piste and advanced skiers but ( IMHO ) not so good for children / beginners . Le tour / les houches are each great small resorts but each a bit limited for a week . Staying in saint gervais allows the more advanced skiers to make the short drive to  the delights of the steeper stuff of the chamonix valley for a few days  and also the whole  group to ski together at the much more family friendly Mont Blanc evasion resorts . Also saint gervais is generally warmer , which sounds counter intuitive , but the chamonix valley resorts can be really cold which makes hanging out / skiing with kids ( particularly in jan ) a lot harder . All of of the above opinions are as a result of having spent a lot of time skiing in the chamonix valley and then trying to do so with small children . If I were to go now with babies : small kids I would stay near the big lift in saint gervais so handovers could be at the Appartment or at the bottom of the lift . Each parent could / would have a couple of days driving around to grand montets for off piste / side piste / steep stuff   With their numb nuts mates . 

Post edited at 06:28
OP Rory Shaw 01 Jun 2022
In reply to mike123:

Thanks for replying, I totally agree with you. I'm more looking for specific accommodation recommendations rather than resorts. 

St. Gervais is a good shout though. Thanks

In reply to Rory Shaw:

Hi Rory,

What kind of accommodation are you after? self-catering or catered, 

Ben who runs - https://www.go-montgenevre.com/en/accommodation is a great guy and his team are very good. They work with a range of accommodation, and can probably help you find what you'r after.

In terms of a resort Montgenevre would work well for you with a bit for everyone. The off piste is great and you can link it with the resorts on the Italian side. If you have a car you can even pop to Briancon which you know or it's not that far for a day to la Grave. 

For touring there is loads to go at, I have a free guidebook to touring, where I add new routes each year and I am help to help with advice if needed. 

https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/ski-touring

Hope that helps

Cheers Rob

In reply to Rory Shaw: We’ve used self-catering accommodation at Sainte Foy a few times. Comes into its own with group sizes such as yours: https://www.premiere-neige.com/sainte-foy-ski-resort/

Lovely little resort that is great for off piste and beginners, plus close to Val d’Isere and Tignes, so something for everyone.

OP Rory Shaw 01 Jun 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks Rob, have been thinking about Montgenevre. I'll check that link out.

We're after self catered accommodation.

Post edited at 19:48
OP Rory Shaw 01 Jun 2022
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Hi Nick, I have some friends with kids who have also recommended Saint Foy. Sounds like it's worth checking out.

Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...