Seasonaire work in Val d'Isere anyone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Babika 01 Oct 2019

Hi 

My son (21) is looking for work in Val d'Isere for the 2019/20. Does anyone have anything they can offer? 

He's tried all the big ski companies over the past few months without success and has been told that you just have to go out there and find something. So he's planning this, but at 3000 euros upfront cost for a shoebox with 4 mates it would be great if we could find anything in advance to add a bit of security! 

Thanks in advance

galpinos 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

Has he e-mailed/phoned all the bars/restaurants/chalet companies/transfer companies in Val?

Has he used google? http://jobs.natives.co.uk/val-d-isere ?

Crimp Eastwood 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

You have probably already tried Mark Warner but they often are short of positions at the start of season for one reason or another and they also have more job roles to choose from than smaller chalet companies ( I worked 2 seasons with them). worth a shot if you haven't already.

good luck!

Mikek 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

Please forgive my mention of the B word but I would think that a lot depends on state of Brexit regards this sort of work?

freeflyer 01 Oct 2019

>> the state of Brexit

This resource looks helpful: https://travail-emploi.gouv.fr/ministere/europe-et-international/brexit-vos...

As far as I can tell, it's ok until at least Dec 2020.

I did exactly the same back in the day, brilliant. Six months in the mountains, what's not to like

ff

wbo2 01 Oct 2019
In reply to freeflyer:unless you crash out.  In which case???

Webster 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

yeh unless you are a returning employee you will struggle to find seasonal work on a british passport atm untill brexit sorts itself out one way or another...

freeflyer 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Webster, wbo2:

That may be so (who can tell), but that's not the message given in the above document.

If there's no withdrawal agreement you'll need to apply for a residence permit for temporary workers.

So I see no official reason why there should be a problem.

Doug 01 Oct 2019
In reply to freeflyer:

have you ever had to deal with French adminstration? If they won't to be awkward they can be extremely difficult

freeflyer 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Doug:

That is very true, but it cuts both ways.

I would say it depends on the local administration, who traditionally aren't going to be that inclined to pay much attention to what goes on in Paris and especially in Brussels. If there's a perception that the temporary workers are needed or the the central government is interfering in local affairs, there won't be a problem. Conversely, there might be a shake of the head and je suis désolé, impossible.

However officially, it appears that the authorities are trying to make it as easy as possible.

OP Babika 01 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

Many thanks all - some  very helpful advice. 

He's tried all the ski chalets he can track down but the problem with the bars/ restaurants is they don't seem to be open yet, nobody responding to emails or messages. 

Brexit doesn't seem to be an issue with the ski chalets. With an exclusively British clientele there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm to employ locals. 

Bars may be different but then Val D'Isere has always struck me as a bit like Esher-on-Ice

Dark-Cloud 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

Most resorts will have an unofficial Facebook group or two, a community or a jobs one, might be worth joining those and having a look.

OP Babika 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks. Tried those already but apparently most posts are months old suggesting they all close down FB over the closed season. 

My honest view is that it's mainly friends, connections or word of mouth - hence the effort to explore any possible avenues including the vast audience of UKC!

ClimberEd 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

I've done a few seasons and at this point in the year it will be very difficult to get work sorted out for a ski season (assuming you have tried all the british chalet companies etc.)

Broadly that's just the way it is. You have to go out there and chance your luck. 

You may have more luck in mid November, or try a resort with a longer season, Chamonix being the very obvious example.

Post edited at 09:12
 Dogwatch 02 Oct 2019

https://www.yseski.co.uk/recruitment-overview/ is possibly the largest employer of Brits in Val d'Isere. You see those canary-yellow jackets all over the place.

walts4 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

> Hi 

> My son (21) is looking for work in Val d'Isere for the 2019/20. Does anyone have anything they can offer? 

My son was out there for the season last year.

His friend who shared the shoe box that they rented together, found work once out there quite easily.

Take a gamble, turn up, socialize, meet people & make contacts & I'm sure he will be working before long.

Hopefully he will have lots of fun, great resort for both the skiing & the party scene.

galpinos 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

I guess it's down to just getting out there. The first season is the hardest to get (good) work, after that word of mouth makes it very easy.

John2 02 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

A number of the ski hire shops employ British youngsters e.g. https://www.ski-republic.com/our-resorts/val-disere http://www.snowberry-valdisere.com/

In reply to Babika:

> My honest view is that it's mainly friends, connections or word of mouth

My niece applied for chalet hosting jobs, and got them. No friends in the business, no connections, no word of mouth.

That was a few years ago. She's now moved on to better things in hospitality, working for a billionaire...

OP Babika 02 Oct 2019
In reply to John2:

Thanks for the link - very useful. He's got a Skype interview for a shop on Friday so maybe something will come up. 

As others have said, turning up in Val D'Isere in November seems to have a reasonable success rate so fingers crossed..... 

It's just the 3000 euros upfront that I stress about! 

wbo2 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:I had another look at this  as I was interested (I live in Europe too).  My impression is that if he is resident in France now he is ok.  If, after crashing out , he is not at that timeresident he will have problems as while , if he is resident,  he can work, he will not have any automatic rightof residence, 

That is my reading.   It depends also on what the UK Gov. Implement as there will be reciprocity - if the UK bans temp workers without an expensive  temp permit, europe will do the same.  

You voted for this

TomGB 03 Oct 2019
In reply to Babika:

I live in Chamonix and work for a British tour operator in the ski industry (rhymes with Bristol). Most of our recruitment takes place in August/September but there's always drop outs so he should keep applying (unless he's already been told no). 

The 'turn up and meet people' approach to getting a job is perfectly doable. I can't tell you how many people have just come out for a holiday, ended up talking to a bar owner or whatever and never got the plane home. Staff turnover in ski resorts is enormous (whacked, sacked or can't hack) so there's jobs going all the time. 

Regarding Brexit, we've gone from hiring Brits almost exclusively for seasonal work to going 50/50 Brits and EU citizens so that we can still run a minimal program if the worst comes to the worst and we have to send all the Brits home. For permanent staff like myself, we're going to have to apply for a carte de sejours post-Brexit. Macron has said there will be an online application process which is good as you currently have to do it in person at the prefecture (nearest one is 1.5hr drive away). So yeah, if he's not in the country by Oct 31 (assuming thats when we go out) then he might struggle. Brits will have 6 months to apply for a CdS before getting booted though. 

OP Babika 03 Oct 2019
In reply to TomGB:

Thank you. That's incredibly helpful. 

I'm always very impressed by the detailed knowledge that exists within UKC and the willingness to share.

In reply to Babika:

Tell your son to join the Facebook group, "val d'isere seasonaires with the echo", and if he can speak French "Les saisonniers de Val d'Isere". It's not that worthwhile posting a CV type message, but definitely worthwhile keeping in touch with that forum as posts regularly come up for jobs.

Best if he has a skill. Ie French, or Cooking, or Bar work, or maintainance, boot/ski fitting etc. Oh, and don't post for him... looks bad that someone's parent is trying to find them work.

Good luck

beh 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Terry James Walker:

Indeed, what skills/experience does he have?

Probably a bit late now but a good way to signal your intent would be to do something like a chalet cookery course.  You're almost guaranteed a job from doing one, they'll typically pass your details on to employers which makes getting interviews easy.  Or could do a foundation ski technician course for similar money.

Garethza 06 Nov 2019
In reply to Babika:

The British (I think?) brand - ‘Planks’ have a shop there and I think they just sent out a mailer looking for seasonaires so maybe drop them a line?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...