Scottish skiing photos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doug 17 Mar 2020

some might be interested in this series of photos in the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2020/mar/17/powder-to-the-...

Doesn't really look very isolated & probably against the governments Coronavirus recomendations (are the Scottish ski resorts still open ?)

Basemetal 17 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

Check the webcam... it zooms in periodically and you can see skiers skiing..

https://www.lochmorlich.com/webcam

mike123 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug: thanks, nice pics . As usual though , amusing sloppy journalism . To all clicking the link, how quickly do you spot something that makes you smirk/ cringe ?

Don't give it away ! 

pec 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

In principal Scottish skiing doesn't seem too risky from a Covid point of view. There's no apres ski as such which would be the biggest risk and apart from the Nevis gondola all the lifts are outside and only touched with gloved hands.

Cairngorm have closed their restaurants and Nevis range are only allowing people to share the gondola with people they already live with. The others are open as normal until told to close it would appear.

OP Doug 18 Mar 2020
In reply to pec:

sounds logical especially if the queues are well spaced, here (French Alps) all the lifts have been  shut since Sunday evening although there seem to be a small N° skinning up for a pleasant (as quiet) run down. Oddly when I went out on Monday afternoon the piste I skinned up had been pisted that morning, I can only assue they have been using the piste machines to bring down the marker posts, safety netting, padding around pylons etc.

pec 18 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

> sounds logical especially if the queues are well spaced,

Scottish lift queues are delight to behold, the orderliness and politeness could not be a bigger contrast from the European maul. With everyone arriving by car in Scotland (Cairngorm have stopped their shuttle buses from Aviemore) there's not even the risk from public transport.

The biggest risk I can think of is transferring the virus from a gloved hand, picked up of a T bar or suchlike, to your nose when it starts running in the cold but with a bit of thought that can be mitigated against. Only touch surfaces with the palm of your glove and only wipe with the back or take the glove off to wipe.

I would have no worries about skiing there at the moment.

Siward 06 May 2020
In reply to Doug:

Yes, how does pootling off to do a spot of skiing in Scotland in any way comply with government advice? Are the rules so substantially different in Scotland? Can I go hillwalking? 

Gone for good 06 May 2020
In reply to Siward:

The OP is nearly 2 months old. 

Siward 06 May 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

Doh!

What is mike123 on about though- something to make me cringe?

Gone for good 06 May 2020
In reply to Siward:

I think it might be one of the photos has a caption with it with the phrase "back corries". Since when did we have back corries? Is this something new? Are there front corries?

It also says "Aonach Mor Mountain"!

Post edited at 11:43
OP Doug 06 May 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

the corries to the east of Aonach Mor have long been known as the 'back corries' (as in 'over the back' I suppose). Although they are really to the side of the pistes.

As for Aonach Mor Mountain', I've also seen 'Strathspey valley'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...