Scottish ski resorts this year ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 08 Mar 2021

As usual I’m trying to be optimistic , so What are the chances of any of the resorts opening before the snow s gone ?  I’m hoping we will be able travel to Scotland for leisure before all the snows is  gone to get some  touring in ( however borderline ) but I’m also Hoping to get the kids up for a few days of piste bashing . 

OwenM 08 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

> As usual I’m trying to be optimistic , so What are the chances of any of the resorts opening before the snow s gone ?  

No chance, sorry. 

Dark-Cloud 08 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

Even the Swiss have started shutting some areas down early so the changes of getting anything lift assisted in Scotland will be negligible to nil.

I have missed a total of 3 ski trips last and this season, I am itching to get some Scottish touring in too but that doesn't look like its going to happen either.

Darron 08 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

I think it’s no earlier than 12th April that overnight stays in self contained accommodation will be allowed under the Covid rules. I share your pain😟

Mike-W-99 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Darron:

12th is England not Scotland.

Darron 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Ah yes. My apologies.

CathS 09 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

My understanding is that the Scottish Govt plans to return to a local 'tiers' system from the end of April, with most of Scotland in Tier 2 or Tier 3 (albeit with tougher restrictions in each tier than previously).  They will then relax progressively, allowing at least 3 weeks between Tier.

However, I had a look at the Scottish Covid 'Routemap', and even if they get down to Tier 0 (less than 20 cases per 100,000), there is still no non-essential travel allowed to and from the rest of the UK!

So I think, if you live in England, there is no chance of skiing in Scotland this season

Kimberley 09 Mar 2021
In reply to CathS:

Its Levels in Scotland, Tiers in England and its significant since the arrangements for each are different

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/

In reply to mike123:

I admire your optimism! I think though that it is not going to happen this season up here

Loving the word "resorts"!!!! That is positive spin for sure!

CathS 09 Mar 2021
In reply to Kimberley:

Sorry, I meant Levels!

CathS 09 Mar 2021
In reply to mike123:

I only had a quick skim through the document (in the hope of perhaps having a trip to Scotland in the early summer), but I could find no indication of when or in what circumstances people would be able to travel from England into Scotland, or vice-versa !

ianstevens 09 Mar 2021
In reply to CathS:

> My understanding is that the Scottish Govt plans to return to a local 'tiers' system from the end of April, with most of Scotland in Tier 2 or Tier 3 (albeit with tougher restrictions in each tier than previously).  They will then relax progressively, allowing at least 3 weeks between Tier.

> However, I had a look at the Scottish Covid 'Routemap', and even if they get down to Tier 0 (less than 20 cases per 100,000), there is still no non-essential travel allowed to and from the rest of the UK!

> So I think, if you live in England, there is no chance of skiing in Scotland this season

Or in 2022, or 2023 by the sound of that

OwenM 09 Mar 2021
In reply to CathS:

There is no end date for us, all the Scottish government will say is we will go back to levels at the end of April. Most of Scotland will be in level 3, which is what we were in before Christmas. There is very little difference between level 3 and what we are in now. So, no end in sight and no hope of getting to the last of the snow. I wouldn't book anything yet. 

In reply to OwenM:

Yes, and (as previously stated by Nicola) travel outwith your LA area would be three weeks after as a minimum. That would therefore have been near end of May for travel for us within Scotland. However, Nicola’s update today announced that travel within Scotland “maybe” able to be brought forward.

I don’t think there is any chance of downhill skiing for anyone outwith Scotland this year, but also very unlikely it seems for most living within Scotland (those within the same LA as the skiing areas probably will get some late season though would be my guess).

In reply to CathS:

> but I could find no indication of when or in what circumstances people would be able to travel from England into Scotland, or vice-versa

I am sure SNP's rationale for this is not exclusively related to covid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...