Scandinavian Outdoor ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GraB 05 Mar 2020

Anybody have any view of Scandinavian Outdoor for reliability, customer service etc ? I've not come across them before, but they do look like a genuine retailer, based in Finland. So I'm guessing TobyA or HeMa must have a view on them...?

HeMa 05 Mar 2020
In reply to GraB:

It's a webshop of one of long standing outdoors shops in Finland (this one has it's legacy as being or perhaps still owned by the scout organisation in Turku or something like that).

They are a good shop, but how they fair with ecommerce is unknown to me... I simply drive 10 mins to their store .

TobyA 05 Mar 2020
In reply to GraB:

I've seen the website from time to time for ages, but only just looked up their actual shops. I used to browse in their Helsinki shop regularly but didn't often find it the cheapest option and now realise their Vantaa shop is the one just round the corner from where my kids went to school when we still lived there! That had the feeling of being like an outlet store and I definitely bought stuff there at good prices.

It's 5 and a bit years since I left Finland and I'm sure back then they were called something else - HeMa will probably remember - so didn't realise they were the same as the webshop. Anyway, definitely a proper long standing business, but haven't bought from their website.

Now feeling nostalgic about wandering around Helsinki back in the 90s, as a recently arrived immigrant, window shopping and killing time between teaching English in various offices and factories around the city! 

OP GraB 05 Mar 2020
In reply to GraB:

Thanks both. Useful to know that they've been around a while in various guises. I'll give them a try, I think.

HeMa 05 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Scandinavian Outdoorshop is Partiovaruste from Turku if I recall correctly... Partioaitta (in downtown Helsinki plus now an outlet next to Vantaa Ikea) is a different beast/shop.

Oh, and didn't some just ordered a bunch of Paris Expedition pulkas/sleds from them. Try to find that topic here.

Post edited at 11:08
 TobyA 05 Mar 2020
In reply to HeMa:

> Scandinavian Outdoorshop is Partiovaruste from Turku if I recall correctly... Partioaitta (in downtown Helsinki plus now an outlet next to Vantaa Ikea) is a different beast/shop.

Yeah - the Forum one, (not Partioaitta next to the Israeli Embassy) it was just called Varuste I think. Their Vantaa store is in one of those new developments south of Keha III and east of Jumbo. Just a long the road from ISV where my kids went.

HeMa 05 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

It has always been called Partioaitta... there was also Lassin retkiaitta in Forum (but not Partiovaruste, which was in Turku, between the bus and train stations).

Scandinavian Outdoor store with Haglöfs outlet is indeed in the Tammisto in Vantaa.

TobyA 05 Mar 2020
In reply to HeMa:

> there was also Lassin retkiaitta in Forum 

That's the one I guess, the multi level one where the back door takes you out onto the street almost oppositie Partioaitta. That now seems to be called Scandinavian Outdoor https://scandinavianoutdoor.com/stores/helsinki/ but I had a different name in the past. So was that Lassin retikiaitta?

Varuste's store is out by the bouldering centre isn't it? On the Pori road. I was mixing names up with that one I guess.

HeMa 05 Mar 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Correct on both accounts. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...