Retrieving downhill skis from garage - need to wax before use?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ruth 29 Mar 2022

Hello,

Last skied on my own skis in Austria 4 years ago - they were waxed and serviced at the start of the holiday

Opportunity for a cheeky days outing at Glencoe this weekend (we have childcare!). Can I get away with just skiing on them as they are, or do I need to get them waxed prior ie will the wax have deteriorated in the garage?

Could do without the hassle of getting them treated in the next couple of days when juggling work and family, but equally want them to slide at the weekend.

Any advice / experience?

thanks

Garethza 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Ruth:

Its Scotland so it doesnt really matter to be honest! 

beardy mike 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Ruth:

You'll be fine. You might not attain the blistering speeds you are used to but as the other poster said, it's Scotland. The lack of speed will help with avoiding the fences.

S Ramsay 29 Mar 2022
In reply to Ruth:

They will work fine, if you haven't skied in 4 years you probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway. Ski fanatics will tell that the bases will have dried out and that you should have put storage way on them bla bla bla but for recreational skiers super frequent waxing is just not necessary. Perhaps on some flat spots you won't glide quite as well as you would like but that will be more due to the snow turning to slush than the skis and you would be unlikely to apply a warm weather wax to them anyway which is what the ski fanatics would would recommend for this weekend. Enjoy your skiing, I would go if I was closer

OP Ruth 29 Mar 2022
In reply to S Ramsay:

Thanks, all that's good to hear. Its just a cheeky recreational day out - I have more memories of dodging boulders than fences at Glencoe but avoiding both good.

Not bothered about them being fast, just need to function.

Now you can hire women's specific skis aboard they have been downgraded to Scottish skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...