Resort Skiing first week of April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 20 Feb 2023

What are peoples thoughts on the above?

My wife is keen for a european trip, I'm unsure. Obviously it will be spring conditions but if things are already looking thin I'm worried it might not be worthwhile.

We'd just be booking a package.

Cheers.

Jimp97 20 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

tignes val claret,  val thorens or zermat/cervina. 

OP DaveHK 20 Feb 2023
In reply to Jimp97:

> tignes val claret,  val thorens or zermat/cervina. 

Those were the sort of places we were looking at. Are they holding up OK? I've heard reports of it being super hot.

supersteve 20 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Currently in Val D'Isere - snow is very thin although plenty forecast. South facing slopes are grass and rock. 12 degrees this afternoon in the village. Bring shorts. 

Mike-W-99 20 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

I've been to Val Thorens mid april before and it dumped down so you never know.

Web cams look fine at the moment.

PJ2398 20 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Wa in VT last year the first week of April and the year before.. Snow conditions were very good, though got a bit slushy in the afternoon. One night last year  there was over a metre of snow and all the high pistes had to be shut the blast them to reduce avalanche risk. Going again same week this year. 

TheGeneralist 21 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Riksgransen is the obvious choice ( no, it really is)

Though you won't get a package there.

yorkshireman 21 Feb 2023
In reply to supersteve:

> Currently in Val D'Isere - snow is very thin although plenty forecast. South facing slopes are grass and rock. 12 degrees this afternoon in the village. Bring shorts. 

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/accidents-de-ski-a-l-hopital-sud-de-greno...

My part of France isn't promising. Apparently Grenoble hospital is overwhelmed with ski injury cases contributed to by the extremely hard and thin snowpack. My local slopes have just about given up although there might be some more on the way the forecast doesn't look amazing. It hasn't snowed for a month in fact they're talking about potential drought conditions again. 

Someone told me also that our local slopes used all their water allocation for snow making over Xmas and NY when the conditions were awful. Even if it gets cold enough they can't make any more snow. 

Doug 21 Feb 2023
In reply to yorkshireman:

https://www.mon-sejour-en-montagne.com/infos-montagne/actualite/le-retour-d...

Snow forecast but not much for the French Alps

65 21 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

We went to Val Thorens last easter. Plenty snow there and Orelle, less so in Meribel and Courchevel was shut. Skiing was great between c.1000 and 1400. Earlier and the snow was like set concrete, later it was unpleasantly wet like porridge. The off piste was apparently really good on spring snow though there were a few wet snow avalanches. 

pencilled in 21 Feb 2023
In reply to DaveHK:

Its a gamble but you already know that. Just back from predominantly north facing Serre Chevalier which was good ish until around 3pm. La Grave was awesome I hear.  I’ve not checked the forecasts, as we couldnt afford a second week anyway. Stay high, that’s my motto in life generally. 

HeMa 21 Feb 2023
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Indeed. The ski season is just starting there. 

albeit I’m not that fond of it anymore… some fvcker built a grocery store on my usually camping spot… and banned overnight parking .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...