Recommendations for XC Ski Areas Immediately Around Oslo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 crayefish 03 Jan 2023

As it seems that European snow is now as rare as a dry day in England, my plans for Germany or the Alps to test my new expedition Nordic ski kit (especially boots for blisters) appear to have melted away. As such, I am turning my sights to Norway for a brief mid week foray.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good XC (or back country) ski areas around Oslo where I could easily reach by public transport daily? Appears to be many, but its hard to determine what's suitable.

Should be an easy train/bus ride there from the city and suitable for slower folk (I'll be plodding along with kicker skins, to best replicate my expedition movement). Happy to go off track too.

wbo2 03 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish: Fill your boots: https://www.visitoslo.com/en/your-oslo/winter/cross-country-skiing/

I'd start Holmenkollen personally

OP crayefish 03 Jan 2023
In reply to wbo2:

Thanks.  Looks like there are some nice trails from there.

Doug 03 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Although my local XC ski areas are a bit short of snow, it doesn't seem to bad in parts of the southern French Alps close to the border with Italy such as the Queyras. See https://www.nordicalpesdusud.com/bulletin-neige

Somewhere like Molines / St Veran would be good, especially the long trails up to the Col Agnel & the Refuge Blanche. Easy access by night train & connecting bus from Paris

ianstevens 03 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Honestly Oslo is your best bet for XC anyway if you need to travel, loads of routes that start pretty much in the city (as linked to already)

JamButty 03 Jan 2023
In reply to wbo2:

> I'd start Holmenkollen personally

Yep agreed!

wbo2 03 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish: Oh, and there are a few useful webkam, just google for them.  So you can see that there is snow

smollett 03 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

T-bane to holmenkollen and a ski to Strykan station NE of Oslo is an excellent day out. Not sure if the lakes are frozen yet as this creates a few short cuts but doable without. Check out the skiforeningan site for trail status but I am sure you are already aware of this. Also XC skis rather than touring may make the experience more enjoyable. Certainly more efficient on prepared trails but I understand if it is touring practice you are after. I just checked the map and there looks to be a fair amount prepared, with machines currently out on other trails. It is more hilly than you might expect!

OP crayefish 04 Jan 2023
In reply to smollett:

Great.  Thanks everyone.  Holmenkollen it is then.

I'll be on XC skis for sure... Gamme 54s with NNN-BC, topped with Alfa Outbacks.  Should be a nice combo for pulk hauling, while still giving some control on any hills.

Given that airbnb rooms can be booked for only 50 euros a night, it would be silly not to go!  Haha

TobyA 04 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

> I'll be on XC skis for sure... Gamme 54s with NNN-BC, topped with Alfa Outbacks.  Should be a nice combo for pulk hauling, while still giving some control on any hills.

You're not going to practice with your pulk are you? I've not skied in Oslo but I have skied a lot on the ski track network all over Helsinki and imagine if you try pulling a pulk on them you'd piss off a lot of skiers!

OP crayefish 04 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Haha no... simply due to the effort of getting it there.  But as I'll be using the X-skins, I'll definitely be trying to stay out the actual tracks as much as possible.  Despite the mohair, won't be a whole lot of glide going on.

TobyA 04 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Have you skied on XC tracks before? The space between the two "latu" (not a good word for it in English, but the double grooved ski tracks - that are on either edge of the whole wider track) is also normally groomed for skiers skiing skate-style. That space is also used by faster classic style skiers so they can over take people in the latu. Skate style is a lot faster than classic so good skiers come up on you fast there. As long as your skis aren't too wide, I'd stick to the latu, and if you're going slow people will just have to over take you. Looking a bit "foreign" will give people a clue what to expect - i.e.not much.  ;⁠-⁠)

This is based purely on Finland but I can't imagine that urban or semi urban skiing in Oslo is so different. I'm sure there will be places where it's easy enough to go 'off piste'. From personal experience skiing in forests without heavy snow and hopefully some consolidation is very hard, getting a ski trapped under deadfall is a mare! Open fields, golf courses, lakes if locals are on them, are all better bets.

OP crayefish 04 Jan 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Some years ago, yes.  Was plenty wide then, but this wasn't in Norwegian forests to be fair.  If the etiquette is to stay in the tracks, that's also fine for me (Gammes should just fit).

No issues with going off piste... its literally what I do on expeditions anyway.  Deep snow in forested areas can be tough for sure (been up to my waist in it), but I've no problem with that for day trips.  The goal is to best replicate my expedition hauling to asses potential blister areas with the new boots, with an added benefit of doing some endurance training.

gneiss boots 04 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish:

Take or borrow a pulk if you want. Put a couple of kids or some logs for your lunchtime fire pit and you will fit right in!

wbo2 04 Jan 2023
In reply to crayefish: rent one.  Your gammes should fit in the tracks but they'll bump/rub the sides, so you won't go so fast.. if you're  not halling anything skip using the skins else as they'll make you very slow compared to everyone else

OP crayefish 04 Jan 2023
In reply to wbo2:

I'm going to replicate the specific action I'll be doing while pulk hauling for boot testing.  Using grip wax and going for more glide (thus with a different stride) would defeat the purpose! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...