Recommendations for off-piste skiing course(s) in Europe?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 18 Feb 2017

I'm looking to find a good week's off-piste skiing course either in the Alps or elsewhere in Europe, probably in April. Any recommendations? http://www.offpiste.org.uk looks good, but their Chamonix courses look as though they spend a fair bit of time focusing on mountain skills and skinning too (both of which I'm fairly happy with) whereas I'm just looking to spend a lot of time improving my actual skiing.

In terms of where I'm at, I've just had my first week back skiing after about four years off (due to catching the winter climbing bug!) On piste, will get down anything unless in sheet ice condition, albeit at times without a great deal of style, though I found last week that skiing with lightweight 177 tourers made my mogul skiing remarkably less bad than with wide, heavy 187s and big Alpine boots! Perfect powder perhaps up to 30 degrees feels great, but my technique tends to go to pot once it becomes a bit cruddier/crustier/uneven underfoot.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

BTW am trying to swap out of a weekend at work so that I can go on one of Gillian Culshaw's Scottish weekend courses. So far no luck though!
Post edited at 13:04
James Jackson 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

> BTW am trying to swap out of a weekend at work so that I can go on one of Gillian Culshaw's Scottish weekend courses. So far no luck though!

I haven't taken any instruction in Europe, but I hired Gillian for a day's private instruction in Scotland last year and it was well worth it! 'mon the snow!
 AlanLittle 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

I did a couple of days with Peter Bacher of Rock & Snow in Zillertal and can highly recommend him. Focus was on lift served / short hike off piste, powder technique, choice of line etc.

http://www.rocknsnow.at/site/winter/freeride.html?L=1
 HammondR 18 Feb 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Good luck with your search, but I think that you are a little late in the season. Much of the best and most suitable (for you) instruction/courses for late March and April will already be booked up.

Alison Culshaw, whose course you provided a link to, is terrific. For you, her 4 x half day off piste courses in Chamonix would be perfect. Done it myself. However there is no availability for that, and much of her availability is fully booked by late summer.

So if you want her instruction this season you have to stump up for the full week including half the time on activities you seem confident that you have already mastered.

In Chamonix the other very high quality instruction (known to me) is Mark Gear of All Mountain Performance. He is fantastic. At your standard (as you describe) you would be at his Intermediate level, ie beginner off piste. His courses are full, and there are none in April. The advanced level would be beyond how you describe your skiing.

Your other option might be to check out BASS Chamonix. They provide good instruction, but I am not sure of availability

You always have the option of ESF. Out of school holidays they can be cheap, but a complete lottery.
 Doug 18 Feb 2017
 Jim 1003 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Sounds like you just need to learn to ski off piste, that's just about time on snow, no real shortcuts unfortunately...I would spend the lesson money on more time skiing...
Post edited at 09:56
 HeMa 25 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

If you wish to improve the skiing, and your snow safety and such are ok. Then you don't need a course, but mileage. Still perhaps hiring a guide for a day is not a bad idea. They'll instruct on technique, but better yet show ya the good places to ski.

Oh and remember, weight forward and speed help in deeper snow.
 kevin stephens 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Snoworks seem to be highly recommended. I haven't used them myself but considering a week for early next season. Plenty of info on website to match a course to your level
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/
Post edited at 07:47
 Tim Davies 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Jim 1003:

I agree. Do at least another weeks skiing in a resort in April- you can always find cruddy snow to practise on at the edges and get your basic level up. Perhaps hire a normal instructor to identify any habits you have that need improving.

I've got friends who can get down anything but it's not really enough for off piste.

kevin stephens 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Tim Davies:
I don't completely agree, practice without method can just entrench bad techniques. A half day 1:1 lesson should be the minimum to point you in the right direction. A good one week course should give you a more comprehensive tool kit to handle a wider range of snow conditions. Of course on top of that there's no substitute for time on snow.
Post edited at 18:28
 edunn 26 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Just go to La Grave for a week. If you stay at a decent lodge they set you up with guided skiing each day (included in the price). It's not strictly lessons, but you get all the feedback you want and the guide will tailor the routes to your ability and help you develop throughout the week if you want to push yourself.

No pisted skiing to bail out on either.
 Sutty22 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:
Have a look at http://skivillaroger.com/off-piste/ They run an Off Piste week and a Backcountry Access week (more touring based) every year and it comes highly recommended. I'm booked on the Off Piste Week next year and cannot wait. Professional guides, fully catered chalet, hot tub, stunning location. I've stayed at the chalet every year for the last 5 years and cannot recommend it highly enough. For 2018, the off piste week is 14th - 21st Jan and the Backcountry Access week is in March sometime.

Chris
 ross 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Doug:

Another recomendation for UCPA, I have used them twice and the tuition, accomodation and food has been brilliant. I have used Alison Culshaw (well colleagues of hers to be exact) twice too and feel UCPA tuition is better as we spent more time skiing and the UCPA instructors were less risk averse so could give great advice about interesting things to do outside lessons.

Cheers, Ross.
 DaveHK 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Tricadam:

Check out Simon Christie. http://www.offpisteskiing.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...