Pieps DSP Sport avalanche beacon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gammarus 17 Nov 2020

In the light of reports about failures of the switch lock, should I consider replacing my Pieps DSP Sport?

Dark-Cloud 17 Nov 2020
In reply to gammarus:

I though the report/statement from Pieps had concluded that the unintended switching from transmit to search was due to a damaged or worn switching mechanism lock button? Or did I read it wrong?

Post edited at 11:37
 galpinos 17 Nov 2020
In reply to gammarus:

People on snow heads seem to have had some (mixed) luck getting a replacement to the DSP Pro BT by contacting Pieps.

Thread here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=153695&start=120&si...

galpinos 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

That has been the Pieps/BD response. However, the amount of people who have been able to recreate the failure mode on their own devices seems to have understandably undermined people's confidence in what should be a set and forget safety device.

I'm not sure the, "well other brands are prone to failure too" comments from Pieps/BD helped either!

tomsan91 17 Nov 2020
In reply to gammarus:

Aside from the recent Pieps news I have recently been thinking about replacing my current beacon as the tech has moved on since the Ortovox 3+ came out in 2011. Might be as good a time as ever to justify the purchase to yourself and get an upgraded unit.

kathrync 17 Nov 2020
In reply to galpinos:

> That has been the Pieps/BD response. However, the amount of people who have been able to recreate the failure mode on their own devices seems to have understandably undermined people's confidence in what should be a set and forget safety device.

> I'm not sure the, "well other brands are prone to failure too" comments from Pieps/BD helped either!

Agreed. I've seen too many videos of people recreating failure on devices where there are no obvious visual signs of wear to retain confidence in mine. It may be that failures are worn, but if there are no obvious indicators of wear it's still unhelpful. Unsympathetic handling of the issue by Pieps/BD didn't help. I have a shiny new Barryvox winging its way to me. I haven't contacted Pieps - my DSP sport looks pristine so I seriously doubt they would replace it.

In reply to kathrync:

It's worth contacting them, the feed back I am getting is, they will first send you an email saying nothing is wrong and offer you a free service, if you get back and say that's not good enough and you have lost faith in the device and kick up a stink. then they are offering a upgrade, if in warranty its looking likely to be free, if out of warranty then there is a fee.

I have a new Black diamond unit which is the same as the new PIEP's they are upgrading to, its a good transceiver, you could sell it on or have a good spare, great if you ski with new people and they have an old/crap one that they could be searching for you with  

kathrync 18 Nov 2020
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Ok, thanks - I'll give that a go. As you say, it doesn't hurt to have a spare and if nothing happens then I haven't lost anything.

In reply to kathrync:

cool, let me know if you want any help, I have the email form friend that have been through it and what they said to get it sorted.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...