petzl meteor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robal 03 Feb 2020

Hi 

I have a Petzl Meteor helmet, I'm going snowboarding next week, can i use this helmet for it or should i be buying something else? 

It says its CE rated for ski touring, i'm assuming that means its ok?

thanks

Rob

JonLongshanks 03 Feb 2020
In reply to robal:

I've used mine for skiing. Better than no helmet!

TobyA 03 Feb 2020
In reply to robal:

My understanding is that it's a completely new standard - not the same as alpine skiing. It seems almost all alpine skiing helmets cover the ears, the few helmets rated both for alpine skiing and climbing all seem to have removable ear protectors. Ski helmets tend to be a lot heavier than climbing helmets too.

I have no idea if there any ski areas that insist on helmet wearing, and if they do insist on it, further insist on the helmet meeting a certain alpine skiing standard. If not I guess you can wear any helmet you like, or none at all. But the Meteor isn't rated as an alpine skiing helmet - I have no idea if that would make any difference to anyone beyond potentially your head in the case of a crash!

EwanR 03 Feb 2020
In reply to TobyA:

It is indeed confusing. The standards seem to be:

CE EN1077 class A - for race helmets with a hard shell over the ears

CE EN1077 class B - for the type of ski helmet that 99% of helmet users wear

PCSR-001 - the new ski mountaineering standard.

Weight wise it's interesting looking at the lighter end of the spectrum for the standards:

CE EN1077 class A - 600 to 750g 

CE EN1077 class B - 350 to 400g

PCSR-001 - 240g

If any of this makes for a safer fall than when wearing a hand knitted bobble hat remains to be seen but there are certainly differences in what's required for the standards.

OP robal 04 Feb 2020
In reply to robal:

Thanks guys, i think i'll just stick with what i've got, it fits nice and considering this will be the first time i've worn a helemet snowboarding i'll go with the its better than nothing approach! 

OwenM 04 Feb 2020
In reply to robal:

I have an old style meteor it's rated for climbing, cycling and kayaking. What would you need to be different for ski touring? If nothing else it's better than nothing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...